Hormones prior to surgery, etc. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormones prior to surgery, etc. Hormones prior to surgery, etc.

Unread 10-18-2002, 09:42 AM
Hormones prior to surgery, etc.

I'm new here, 50 years old, and my surgery date is October 24th. I don't know the "lingo" abbreviations yet, but I'm having vaginal hysterectomy taking uterus, cervix and ovaries if he can "reach them". Maybe someone could tell me what the abbrev. is for those things. Also having bladder sling and AP Repair. My previous OB/Gyn had given me the Vivelle estrogen patch a couple of years ago and I've been using that as well as Prometrium each night. I decided to go to a new doctor for surgery however and he says to stop the hormones before surgery. When I cut down or eliminate the estrogen, I feel miserable and have frequent heart palpitations (something I've had for many years), and I'm concerned about having those and the surgery at the same time. Have any of you been told to stop hormones before surgery? Also, I'd love to hear about peoples' recoveries following this surgery. Also, I've got a 13 year old boy and an 11 year old girl and my daughter is going through a "separation anxiety" phase and she is so worried about this surgery, and now I'm stressed out about it too! Anyway, good luck to all of you and I'd love to hear feedback, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2002, 10:07 AM

Hi,
I have a 13 year old daughter and an 11 year old son! I have been assuring both that I will be fine and home before they know it and they seem okay. My 11 year old is the more sensitive and needs occasional reassurance -- which I give him.
I don't know about HRT prior to surgery, but my DR has me on a steady high dose of birth control pills to stop bleeding prior to surgery. He said I can even take it the day before surgery. It has a whopping dose of hormones (3 times the estrogen he will give me after my ovaries are removed). I also have heart palp. and extreme anxiety and sleeplessness when my estrogen gets low (long story how I know this) and have been feeling much better on the birth control pills. I hope that's true after surgery. I wish you and your family the very best. By the way, I think everyone in pre-op is stressed out, that's why it's so wonderful to have this connection to others in the same boat.
Unread 10-18-2002, 10:09 AM
stopping your hormones

I think the reason the doctor wants you to stop your hormones before the surgery is because of the risk of blood clots. I was on bcp before my surgery and I took my last pill on Sunday and my surgery was Monday. He really wanted me to stop earlier, but because of bleeding I had to stay on them. Also, your body stores your hormones that you are taking in fat cells, also your ovaries are probably still producing some hormones and the extra is also stored in the cells. I am sure you will be fine. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Tell him/her how you feel. Also good luck with the surgery. I know when I had my hyst. I was not allowed to take any hormone replacement until about week 4 so that I wouldn't have a greater chance of blood clots. All doctors have different views. Be sure to relax and enjoy yourself now and get plenty of rest before and after the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Hormones, etc.

Thanks so much. God I feel better already just hearing that. It sounds like you had or are having good experiences with the whole thing. I guess my big concern is that I'm "electing" to do this, but what if it's a risky thing and I didn't really HAVE to do it? I guess that's one of the chances we take in life. I think I read some bad stats in one of those anti-hyster books about 1 in 1000 people dying with a hysterectomy and I started to think, should I do this just because of bleeding, prolapse, etc., not cancer? thanks
Unread 10-18-2002, 10:55 AM

Boy, it sounds like you are feeling like me, like I'm electing to have this horrible thing done to my body. When I really look at it though, I'm electing to get better and so are you. As my DR put it, we are entitled to this. My DR also had me stop taking hormones last week, my surgery is 11-5, he said he would not do the surgery until I was off them but they were also causing alot of problems for me. The abbreviations for your surgery are TVH/BSO. That is what I am having done too, and my DR told me the same thing. If he can't get everything vaginally he will have to do an incision (TAH) after I'm asleep. This website will help you with all your questions, I've read the posts on the different forums and they have been so helpful with my questions. Good Luck and you came to the right place.
Unread 10-18-2002, 11:02 AM

Thanks so much. It really is in the way you look at it. I have a friend who wishes she could have this surgery but doesn't have enough symptoms to warrant the insurance paying, so that, plus your comments, lead me to believe that it really is a privilege to be able to do this! I'm taking off my estrogen patch right now and expect to be pretty clean of the hormones by op date next Thursday, albeit with hot flashes and palpitations! Best of luck to you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register