Time off work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time off work Time off work

Unread 09-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Time off work

Hey girls -

Has anyone had this happen? I talked to my boss about time off. I'm having a LAVH - bilateral Salpingo-oophrectomy and appendectomy. Provided it can be done Laproscopically as planned and the doctor doesn't have to change course and do it abdominally my plan is to be back at work in 6-7 weeks (we know I tend not to rebound well after surgeries).

I've only been at this company for a year and my boss keeps telling eveyone I'll be gone at least 3 months and mybe longer - to which alot of fellow employees are questioning me and the extended time. So now fellow co-workers aren't happy, and I keep re-iterating 6 weeks!!!!

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Time off work

I had an LAVH/BSO and was back to work full time at 4 weeks, working 12 hour shifts as a nurse practitioner. I could have gone back at 3 weeks, as I felt just fine...but it was April and spring had sprung! You know how you heal better than anyone, but I think 6 to 7 weeks is not going to be a problem.

Abdominal hysterectomy has a longer recovery, but that's what's so great about LAVH...a quicker, less complicated recovery.

I wish you well!
Unread 09-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Time off work

I had a LAVH and I am returning to work on Sept 29th. I did not want to push it. I have a desk job but alot of twisting and turning and getting up and down and picking up heavy boxes at times. But each and every person is different. Take your time and go back only when you think your body is ready. Trust me. I thought I would be ready to go at 3 weeks Wrong was I . I have more energy in the morning but the afternoon its like I run out of gas. Take Care and Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Time off work

Karen, I know it's hard but just ignore your boss and your co-workers comments. Say firmly you hope you'll be back sooner, but you're planning 7 weeks but it could be longer.

It's tough, but they are not your primary concern right now. You should just focus on yourself and what you need to do to set your mind in the right frame to get ready for your recovery road.

As many of us have found, we heal much quicker than we thought and the pain is not as bad as we expected. It's good to tell everyone that we'll not be able to do all those things we were doing before for quite a while, then we can only impress them when we come back early.

As long as your boss LETS you come back after 7 weeks, things should be just fine. Tell your co-workers you want to heal properly so that you have no complications and can hit the ground running when you get back. If they're upset with you being healthy, that's their problem! Take the time you need and don't let them pressure you.

Take care.
Unread 09-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Time off work

Hi there, I had my LAVH and my doctor told me that I could go back to work in 4 weeks, I work at FedEx, so I do alot of heavy lifting, I actually took 6 weeks, I think that my body really needed that extra time to heal properly. You have to do what your body tells you, but if you do any lifting, it would probably be wise to take as much time as your insurance will allow. You will be in my prayers.
Unread 09-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Time off work

The doctor and you would know best! I am having an abdominal hyst and was told a minimum of 6 weeks of for that.

I was really leaning toward the maximum since I stand all day at work. I want to be fully ready 100%, not half together and not giving my all. Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register