What I learned in my 8 weeks of hysterectomy Recovery (2/4) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What I learned in my 8 weeks of hysterectomy Recovery (2/4) What I learned in my 8 weeks of hysterectomy Recovery (2/4)

Unread 03-31-2016, 08:10 AM
What I learned in my 8 weeks of Recovery

I made it to 8 weeks!

Honestly, it went by so fast I can't believe it. I go back to work on Monday, and I'm dreading it. It's a fast paced and physical job, so I'm worried about how I'll do.

I prepared for this surgery, but you can never be fully prepared...

Here are some things I learned and continue to be surprised by:

*Having a TAH/BS for me meant I wouldn't be able to sit up by myself for a week and that my incision would cause me fainting spells (I don't do blood...)
*You should buy nightgowns and soft waist banded undies. My tummy is still annoyingly sensitive.
*Heating pads and ice packs are your friends throughout!
*Crying from everything from pain, to your sister showing up with your favorite smoothie is totally normal and ok.
*No one truly understands what you are going through unless they had the same surgery.
*You learn very fast who your true friends are.
*Family can break your heart when they don't help or check in, but you find some closure in that.
*True loved ones go to the ends of the earth to help (I was lucky having a husband and sister do that).
*At 8 weeks I can still twist and reach wrong and it will feel like a quick knife stab.
*At 8 weeks I'm surprised to still have occasional BM issues.
*If you're lucky (add sarcasm here) you'll get two major colds and you feel like it's setting you back. Because it is...
*Gaining weigh is fairly common even after they remove a bowling ball size fibroid. Getting back into shape will come later.
*Still getting tired from overdoing it can happen even at 8 weeks.
*If you cry to your doctor, he may let you have an occasional beer after your two week check up.
*Insomnia may strike at any time! Mine came, then went, then came back. Yippy...
*We all heal and different rates, but we all over do it somewhere at the 2 week point when we feel better, then regret it.
*We are all strong and amazing women who survived (or getting ready to survive) a major major surgery. We are awesome!

These are just a few things I wanted to share. Sometimes it helps newer members prepare.

If anyone wants to add anything of what you have learned so far for your weeks, please add on!

Misty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2016, 09:03 AM
Re: What I learned in my 8 weeks of Recovery

Congratulations you made it. I am six weeks today and I identify with everything you said except the cold. The hot flashes are driving me nuts. I am hot then cold, omg.

Take it easy when you go back out to work.

Sandra
Unread 03-31-2016, 09:15 AM

When does the tummy sensitivity change?? Drives me insane. Even if my incision isn't hurting, then my top layer of skin is just killing me!

And I truly liked what you said.....unless a person goes through the same surgery, they have no idea. Many people who have had a c-section think it's the same and from what everyone on here says, it's not. I just know that 3 weeks out.....I still hurt. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2016, 10:05 AM
What I learned in my 8 weeks of hysterectomy Recovery (2/4)

Well said. Great post. I agree with everything you mentioned, particularly finding out who your true friends are and who you can and cannot count on.
Unread 03-31-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhendrie View Post
Congratulations you made it. I am six weeks today and I identify with everything you said except the cold. The hot flashes are driving me nuts. I am hot then cold, omg.

Take it easy when you go back out to work.

Sandra
Congrats on 6 weeks!

When I said a cold, I meant I've been sick twice. So much fun to hack up a lung while trying to recover. I kept my ovaries so I haven't had to heal with hot flashes. Hang in there!
Unread 03-31-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsar View Post
When does the tummy sensitivity change?? Drives me insane. Even if my incision isn't hurting, then my top layer of skin is just killing me!

And I truly liked what you said.....unless a person goes through the same surgery, they have no idea. Many people who have had a c-section think it's the same and from what everyone on here says, it's not. I just know that 3 weeks out.....I still hurt. lol

Thanks for the reply! We are certainly a sisterhood here who "gets it".

My tummy sensitivity has gotten better in the last few weeks, but I think a full 6 weeks till it started to feel any better, My incision never hurt much. All the area above sure does though!
Unread 03-31-2016, 04:18 PM

Thank you so much for letting me know your time line. I haven't read much people talking about the sensitivity so I had about decided that I was going to be the freak that has nerves that will continue missfiring till I die. lol. Obviously I am quite dramatic about the pain. 3 weeks and theres never a break from it!
Unread 03-31-2016, 04:26 PM

Your post is on point!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Unread 03-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsar View Post
Thank you so much for letting me know your time line. I haven't read much people talking about the sensitivity so I had about decided that I was going to be the freak that has nerves that will continue missfiring till I die. lol. Obviously I am quite dramatic about the pain. 3 weeks and theres never a break from it!

Mine has been more annoying than painful usually. If you don't feel like it's getting better soon, you may want to check in with your doctor.
Unread 03-31-2016, 07:12 PM

Hi Misty,
Thank you for a great post!
It is so very true!
Thankful for my very helpful husband!
Best, Rosie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register