Anyone glad they kept ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone glad they kept ovaries? Anyone glad they kept ovaries?

Unread 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Anyone glad they kept ovaries?

Is there anyone here who had their uterus taken out (but left the ovaries and cervix) and is not taking hormones?

I am considering having a partial hysterectomy but I am worried about the hormone factor. My ovaries look good so really there is no reason to touch them. I have read that they protect you from heart disease and osteoprosis later in life. And by leaving them I shouldn't have to take any hormones right?

I have daily pain worse around my period time and my uterus is enlarged, he suspects Adenomyosis. I have a history of fibroids, at my myomectomy I had 5 lbs taken out.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2008, 05:55 PM

i had an lsh and kept my cervix and ovaries. i am very happy i did. i have no hormonal issues at all and feel fantastic. i just dont get a period.
keep researching the different types of surgeries and ask your dr which you qualify for and most importantly..which he is trained to do. good luck
Unread 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM

Thanks! Do you know what happens to the egg when it is released from the ovary?

Also, are you in menopause?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Yes, I am glad I kept my ovaries. Like dressedupinblue, I had a LSH keeping my cervix and ovaries a little over a month ago. I feel great and have no hormone issues.
Good luck!
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Hi Rory68,

I was 46 when I had my LSH four years ago and I kept my cervix and ovaries. My ovaries are still working great and I am not on hormones. I am still very glad I kept my ovaries. As you mentioned, the ovaries secrete important hormones that can help with overall health.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 05-31-2008, 09:37 PM

I'm VERY glad I kept my ovaries, otherwise I would have been thrown into sudden menopause at age 27. Even after menopause, the ovaries continue to secrete some factors that are useful. Something was looking out for me, because the night before my hysterectomy, a nurse walked into my hospital room, handed me the surgical consent form, and said, "Read this very carefully. They are planning to remove your ovaries, too." I said, "What?! I never agreed to that. It was never mentioned. There's nothing wrong with my ovaries!" She told me how to remove consent for that on the form. She saved me years of problems, since my ovaries continued to function normally for 20 years after the hysterectomy, allowing me to go through natural menopause at age 47. Meaning I did not have to do HRT till then.

It took a woman, the nurse, to understand what was going to happen to me. My male doctor could not have cared less. "Well, you don't need 'em anyway."

Know what you're getting into, women, and read your surgical consent forms.
Unread 05-31-2008, 09:45 PM

To answer a question above, if you have functioning/ovulating ovaries but no uterus, the released eggs are absorbed by the body. At least, that's what my doctor told me. You'll never notice it.
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:07 PM

To: Moonsong

Thank-you for sharing your ovary story. I agree about someone looking out for us. My 2nd opinion was one of the best things I ever did...and boy was he looking out for me.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 06-01-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory68
Thanks! Do you know what happens to the egg when it is released from the ovary?

Also, are you in menopause?

Thanks.
the egg is absorbed. i am not in menopause since i kept my ovaries and they continue to work perfectly. i dont need any hornone replacement.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register