complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

complications complications

Unread 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
complications

Its been 3 weeks since my subtotal hysterectomy it was to be done laperscopicly and the doc was talking about sending me home after if all went well...well it didn't! The doc cut part of my bowel and I had to have a pint of blood and a 3 hour surgery!! I was laying in the hospital bed and my blood pressure dropped to under 60/40. They gave me a shot of adrenaline and finally got my blood after poking me 20 X's cuz my veins where collapsing. I was bleeding internally, they also nicked an artery. Back to the operating room I went where they repaired the artery and I had another 3one pints of blood. I almost died...it was so scary! Im alot better now but it should have never happened! Anyone else have this happen too! ? For all those who reply thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Re: complications

That had to have been a nightmare. Should not have happened. I hope your recovery goes well - keep us posted.
Unread 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Thank you! It has been 3 weeks and yes im a lot better for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Something similar happened to me...the doctor nicked an artery and I almost bled out. Today I found out that the surgical report said that the doc repairing the artery had to "scoop out" blood to get to the repair.
Happy to be alive...although still in pain,
Becca
Unread 09-10-2011, 12:02 AM

i actually bled after my surgery was over and didn't find out until 3 weeks out, i went into shock in the recovery after an hour (day recover,as i was supposed to go home that day) and it took them 8 hours to stablize me (i blood pressure was 50/30 and they were yelling for anthesiologist stat and yelling at me to stay with them....)enough to admit me, then two days later i had to have two transfusions,stayed in hosptial 4 days, finally on week 3 i found out i have a 4 inch by 6 inch hematoma in my pelvis.....fun fun fun.....
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Hi I had a similar experience in that - had a vaginal hysterectomy and found out in the recovery room that - I was bleeding internally due to an attery that got nicked. They took me back to theater and had to do an abdominal cut to stop the bleeding. They also gave me a blood transfussion and I was in the ICU for 2 days and in hospital for 5 days. Five months later I had to undergo a another op to remove my left ovary and to remove adhesions because of ongoing pain - that was on 7/26. All I can say is that if it feels there is something wrong trust your instincts. I am sorry that you had to go through this and I still had panic attacks for a while after the initial surgery. Looking back I can now say that I feel much better than I felt in a long while and hope it gets better as time progresses for all of us that went through this similar traumatic event. Like Becca said I am just happy to be alive!
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:06 AM

Hi ! So sorry you had to go thru this. A similiar thing happened to me - during my lavh a vein near my bladder was nicked but they didn't realize it. I went home a day after my surgery and ended up back in the hospital the next morning because I fainted 3 times and was in awful pain. I had emergency surgery that night (2 days after the lavh) to remove a hematoma near my bladder, close the vein, and remove all the blood that was inside me. I too almost died. No fun! I had to have 2 transfusions.
This definitely was a setback in my recovery - now I had back to back surgeries to recover from. I am now a year post op and just about 11 months post op I really felt great - totally back to normal. Hang in there and be patient with your body as you recover. It took me longer to get my energy back - I was severely anemic before the surgeries - and obviously so much worse afterwards. Actually, I think most of my recovery was from the 2nd surgery and not the lavh. I was able to go back to work 6 weeks post op - I was exhausted, but I did it. Listen to your body - if you are tired, rest. If you are sore - rest. I think the most important thing is to be patient. It was hard for me - but I kept telling myself that my body had to heal. Hugs to you!!
Unread 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Thanks again to all you gals who responded to my post!! Your stories and support let me know im not alone! !!!
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Oh my goodness! I can't imagine going through that, and had no idea that it was this common at all. I am so sorry to hear you had to go through something like this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register