So Many Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So Many Questions So Many Questions

Unread 08-11-2013, 02:21 AM
So Many Questions

Greetings fellow sisters

I was pointed to this forum via the introduce yourself page....

I am so glad I stumbled across this site, it is very reassuring to meet like minded people.

I am a 39 yo mother of three children (youngest is 10yo). Over the last five years I have noticed a progressive worsening of menstrual symptoms. I have an irregular cycle that can be anywhere from 27 days (never heard of for me historically!!) to anywhere beyond 45 days. When I do have a period, it is longer than it used to be - around 8 days. Previously I had a short cycle that would follow a similar course every time - day 1 spotting, day 2 steady flow, day 3 light, day 4 spotting - but basically packed up and gone home. Now anywhere throughout those eight days, I get heavy flow, with lots of clots being passed. If the flow lightens, it is usually because a clot hasn't passed, then when it does, it is a real flow!!

I have also experienced awful PMS over the last 12-24 months - especially moods.

I had an ultrasound and the two ultrasonographers who performed the scan both clearly stated that I had adenomyosis - they could not clearly see the edge of my endometrium and there was a very jagged appearance. The radiologist who reported on the scan didn't really mention it. My GP was not concerned, but did give me a referral to a gynae to see about my clotty periods.

I am also very iron deficient, which my GP has put down to me being a vegetarian - even though I haven't been deficient since I became a vegetarian 25 years ago!!

I had my appointment with the gynae who was very good. He suggested the NovaSure ablation - but did say ultimately it was up to me which way I wanted to go. If I want a hysterectomy, I can opt for that.

He will also perform a bladder sling procedure at the same time (thank you very much to my oversized babies!!).

I have been doing lots of research as to what is the best way to go. I have read that ablation isn't really that good for adenomyosis. I am also concerned about giving myself a third degree burn internally.

I have also read that ablation can stop periods. I am concerned that due to my irregular cycle that I will constantly be worried about when my next period will occur....making me more neurotic than I currently am

I am not concerned about losing my uterus....would be happy for it to go. I am also aware that by retaining my ovaries I will probably experience PMS moodiness. Although I am hoping it my lessen the severity of it.

My biggest concern is about my sex life. My partner and I just go well together, we have the best experiences we have both ever had. I would hate to lose that

I am hoping that fellow hyster-sisters will be able to share with me their experiences.......

I go back to the gynae on Thursday to discuss the issue more (and get the results of my urodynamics testing - which might I add is probably the worst thing I have ever had to do!!!)

Thanking you all in advance.

BW73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Re: So Many Questions

How did your appointment go?
I had endo and ovarian/tubal cysts. My doc thought about the ablation, but decided not to go that route because it is only temporary--meaning within 5 years the problems could come back. I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hyster. I had my uterus, cervix, right ovary and both tubes removed. I have my left ovary, but now she has cysts.
As far as the decision, I am glad I went with it. I am only 4 weeks out, so I am still limited to what I can and can't do. Sex is one of the no's right now. But I think about it... so the drive is still there.

Good luck with your choice!
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:02 AM
Re: So Many Questions

If adeno is your problem, hysterectomy is the only real cure. I have heard ablation makes adeno worse, but I don't know first hand. My docs suspect adeno, but I haven't had the sonograph and have no proof. there is a lot of research showing women who have problems with bleeding and pain often have improved sex life after hysterectomy, especially if you are keeping your ovaries. Everybody is different though and nobody can say how your body will take the surgery. There are plenty of helpful links and articles on this site. do your research and get educated about the surgery, recovery, and possible complications. Make the best decision for yourself! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register