More questions about pre- and post- op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More questions about pre- and post- op More questions about pre- and post- op

Unread 08-18-2004, 05:56 PM
More questions about pre- and post- op

Your replies really help calm my busy and sometimes worried mind. I want to plan as much as I can ahead, for mine and my family's sake. Yes, it is only the ILLUSION of being control, but it helps! It is hard to advise my honey how many days of leave to take-- I don't want him to use all of his last 6 days the first week. We have finally (I think) after your wonderful input decided that he will stay with me from Friday, the day of surgery, through Tuesday, and hopefully I will be home resting in my recliner by then. I have friends or family after that to help until the weekends roll around. Flossing my teeth could very well be the LAST thing I will be worried about!
with lots of gratitude--

whitefawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2004, 07:30 PM

Hi Whitefawn,
My hubby is going to wait in the waiting room while I have surgery. I'm going to make him a special bag before hand with a paperback, some snacks , a thank you note and whatever else I think of before then.

You are worrying about flossing and I made hubby swear on his life that he would help me put a bra on as soon as they move me to my room. Geez....the things we think of ahead of time.

Love & Hugs,
Michelle
Unread 08-18-2004, 07:49 PM

I have told my family to go about their business after dropping me off at the hospital. I find waiting rooms to be miserable , uncomfortable places and personally don't want them to sit out there for hours worrying . I told them I'll call when I wake up.
I'll be knocked out and the operation time will fly for me but I know how slowly it passes when sitting waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2004, 08:17 PM

My hubby took a walk outside and watched TV in the waiting area, my surgery was over 3 hours, lots of endo....we live 3 hours away so he spent the night on a folding bed in my private room.
The hospital I had my surgery in only has private rooms. I brushed my teeth the next day.
Unread 08-18-2004, 08:17 PM

The hospital I used requests that a responsible party be there the day of surgery, and that they check into the family waiting room and stay there for the duration of the surgery. If they leave the waiting room they are supposed to tell the receptionist where they are going so they can be reached in an emergency. This waiting room is also where the doctor comes to talk to the family after surgery (in a little private room just off the waiting room).

I had a TVH. Doc thought it would take 2 hours at the longest, but he had a struggle getting everything out without an incision because there were more fibroids than what showed in the ultra sound. It took him 2-1/2 hours. My husband had my daughter and also his parents to keep him company.
Unread 08-19-2004, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the idea about making up a bag for my sweetie for the wait. And for all the other info. Yes it is the details in life that count. I have this fear that after surgery I will metamorphisize into a sloppy, unkempt, greasy haired dirt ball after surgery. Maybe with all the pain killers I won't care!

whitefawn
Unread 08-20-2004, 06:48 PM

I waited in a pre-op wing. When I woke up, I was already in

my own room. My hospital has a special "women's wing"

One side was for women who had babies and the other side

was all the other "procedures." But it was nice not having to

worry about what I looked like when I could finally take a

stroll around the hall. It's best to get up as soon as you can

to help eliminate blood clots. My surgery was on Friday.

I did get up Saturday and got a little cleaned up, but didn't

take a shower until Sunday. What a glorious thing, that

shower was. I got to go home Tuesday afternoon, and couldn't

wait for some real food.

Hope you have an easy time s
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:06 PM

My Dr. told me that no one"had" to be in the waiting room. She said if there was some type emergency during the surgery they wouldn't go out to the waiting room to get someone's permission to fix it. We sign a paper that gives the Dr. permission to do what needs to be done during surgery. Whether someone waits for hours in a cold, uncomfortable waiting room is up to each individuals preferences. I have told my loved ones I will call them when I wake up and am in my room. That's when I will need them there.
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:22 PM

hubby went for food and then came back and waited at the end (they told him about 1 1/2 hours). then they took me to recovery (he walked, read and window shopped at nearby mall). he freaked a bit since i was in recovery for 4 hours. he said he kept bugging them.
they can call a cell phone number, too and update the perosn. that way they don't have to keep checking. hubby forgot to take it that day.
when hubby had hip replacement surgery, they told me he would be in recovery for 4 hours. i went to our hotel (he had the surgery out of town) and rested and went back after he was in his room. during hi surgery (about 3 1/2) hours, i got lunch and came back and waited with a good book.
good luck! dee
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:27 PM

Hi Whitefawn as far as the brushing and flossing goes I got the regular toothbrush and paste travel size for the castle, the little floss pick things they look like plastic toothpicks with the flosser on the other end and Oral B brush ups they come 3 in a pack and slip on your finger like a finger sponge and they clean your teeth, freshen your breath, great for if you can't get up to do it or anytime, I take them to work with me for after lunch. Put them in your fanny pack or little bag to hang on the side of your bed along with your lip balm, hard candies or lozenges, hand lotion, deodorant and cleaning cloths like the oil of olay, baby wipes, any of those to wash your face and stuff with to help you feel refreshed. Good luck and pick up those oral b brush ups at any Wal-Mart, pharmacy, grocery store. That was one of my concerns also.

s

Riana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register