activlty after surgury | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

activlty after surgury activlty after surgury

Unread 07-18-2007, 05:14 PM
activlty after surgury

my surgery was 7/11. It started out as a vaginal laporscopic, but turned into an open abdominal due to excessive bleeding. needed a transfusion. discharge was sat 7/14. feel great, except constantly exhausted thought the pain would have been worse, but i guessthe boredom is the kicker. was not really instructed on restrictions. what should i not be doing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2007, 05:27 PM
activlty after surgury

not much of anything. Small walks a couple times a day. But plenty of rest and lots of fluid. You are supposed to be pampering yourself. Easier said than done. My doctor was very matter of fact about no lifting, no driving, no sex, no vacumning, no stenuous exercise. He said you only have one chance to heal right. It is hard but you have hundreds of sutures inside of you. If you do to much too soon you could risk bleeding again. And if you had internal bleeding Im sure that is also making you more tired. But you will feel drained on and off for a long time. Take care of yourself! hugs
Unread 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM
activlty after surgury

Resting with brief walks through out the day. No lifting over 5 lbs, no vacuuming, pushing of shopping carts or anything else, no doing laundry or driving. Lots of fluids and most importantly, Pamper the
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM
activlty after surgury

Please rest and take it easy, especially since you had unplanned procedures. My experience after an emergency hysterectomy told me that post op instructions are glossed over by many physicians. When my own surgeon asked me if I had questions prior to my release, I was so brain-fogged that virtually nothing popped into my head. The hospital release papers were no help, so I relied on common sense (and the advice of this website!) for the recuperation period. As difficult as it was for a Type A like me to refrain from hyperactivity, I decided that I had only one chance to heal. What good would I be to anyone in the future if I tried to speed the healing?? Rest, get plenty of fluids, don't lift a thing, don't bend over for ANYTHING, and take it easy. Listen to your body, and learn to deal with every day as it comes along. Try a few creative coping skills! I got pretty good with picking up stuff with my toes and flicking to a place where picking up could be done without bending over!

You WILL get through this! My own surgery was four years ago, and I healed very well with no complications. It wasn't always easy (and was certainly no fun), but I'm glad I took the path I'd made for myself. Trust in your inner voice!
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
activlty after surgury

You should be doing NOTHING until you have your 2-wk check up. The doctor will then tell you what you can do. At two weeks I was cleared by my doctor to drive, do dishes and dust and that was all.

I know that as we start feeling better in our recovery, we feel like we can do much more than we really can. Bordem does take over too. BUT this is your one chance to heal right so take it easy and pamper yourself.
Unread 07-19-2007, 05:35 PM
activlty after surgury

Thanks.. those are all the symptoms i do have, constanly tired. but all those"do not do" helps
Unread 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
activlty after surgury

thanks i will try this.... but i am a very active person and am so bored
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:09 AM
activlty after surgury

Yes, I am bored to. I had my surgery July 15, so it has only been a week. I am dusting now and walking up and down stairs. I have been bending over to pick up things, but it doesn't hurt. I wonder if I am hurting myself by bending over. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this. What do you think, is bending over to pick up something from the floor bad? I have also put clothes in the drawers. Someone else has been washing, well I acutally put one load in the washer but my husband put them in the dryer and then took care of them after that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register