Did you get a second opinion? - Page 55 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 04-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I didn't get a second opinion and I sure wish I had been better informed before having my LAVH. When I had my surgery, I didn't have a computer and wasn't able to find out things for myself. I just went with what the doctor told me. I wound up having surgery two more times for complications. Best to be well informed before having a hysterectomy unless it is an emergency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2010, 10:37 AM

I got a second opinion because we upgraded our insurance and had to get a new obgyn . I had a novia sure abliasion in Dec. 2008 to avoid a hyster. Had large clots and a fibroid in Nov.2008. Then in Sept. 2009 had another large growing fibroid,waited til March 2010 to get a hyster.Kept my oviaries. Glad now it's done. Will have my 6 week checkup this week .
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:51 AM

I didnt need a second opinion as 12 months before my surgery I had had an endometrial ablation which had failed and it was made very clear to me at the point of being assessed for the ablation and at the point of being assessed after and finding out that it had failed that a second ablation was completely out of the question and that a hysterectomy would be my only option should/when it had failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2010, 11:06 AM

no. i did not get a 2nd opinion. i was suffering for a few years with severe endometriosis and my doctor tried to hold off doing it as long as he could, but in the end, i couldn't take any more. he did tell me the procedure would not be a cure for my endo, but it would decrease my pain substantially. that was almost 3 years ago and i have no regrets on having the hysterectomy done.
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Did you get a second opinion?

No because I did several surgeries and hormone therapy I decided to end my pain and suffering. I do not regret it I should of did this 5 years ago.
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:29 AM

My Gyn said I needed a hyst and then sent me to a Gyn/Onc who said the same thing so I guess that counts as a 2nd opinion but I would have gone on the opinion of my Gyn without getting a 2nd opinion.
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Smile - Did you get a second opinion? Re: Did you get a second opinion?

Hello everyone,
I didn't get a 2nd opinion about my hysterectomy for fibroids as they were quite large and were being a big nuisance! I had my op on 29th October 2009 and haven't looked back, I had all my bits and pieces removed as hysteroscopy tests were a little dicey, in the end everything was normal. I now skip past the sanitary aisle in the supermarket and laugh my way through the month! It's the best thing I've ever done!

love Nikki
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Wink - Did you get a second opinion? Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I didn't have time to ask for another opinion because I was pregnant , I had pre-eclampsia + placenta previa + part of the placenta was growing outside the uterus which attached to the bladder , I had c-section + hysterectomy + reconstruction of the bladder , I had to put the catheter for 15 days after operation , I did all the needed tests and ultra sound besides the 3d ultra sound , I was informed that hysterectomy should be done during my c-section , I was 31 years old , I had very painful times after op. my surgeon kept the ovaries but i'm experiencing now many of hot - cold flashes + mood swings + weight gain , thank god my baby is healthy and developing normally although she's a preemie , thanks for this site
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:24 PM

While I did not get a second opinion, my doctor suggested that I also consider the embolization procedure. She left the ultimate choice up to me and after MUCH consideration, I chose the hysterectomy and haven't regretted my choice for one second.
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:28 PM

I didn't get a second opinion as I was the one who told my doctor what I wanted. I had tried several different ways to stop my abnormal periods, periods that were overly heavy, lasted for months rather than days, and had ruined furniture, clothes, sheets & carpeting. I would virtually explode at times! But I had been through medications, D&C's, and an ablation. He had mentioned it before as an option to consider sometime down the line and I wanted to have it done sooner rather than later as I was becoming anemic & it cost me needless worries and countless missed days of school, work & playtime. He understood why I wanted it done & he agreed to it. I still had to have an endometrial biopsy. There were signs of simple hyperplasia which just backed up my wanting the hysterectomy. Even though I've had some problems post-op= infections, stitches coming open & a staple missed by a doctor (he wasn't my regular gyn), i'd do it over again because once this mess clears up, I'll be able to get on with my life and not have to worry anymore about flooding. As my friend's mother told me, it's a very liberating surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register