Hospital stay after laparoscopic hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital stay after laparoscopic hysterectomy? Hospital stay after laparoscopic hysterectomy?

Unread 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Hospital stay after laparoscopic hysterectomy?

Hello! I am having a partial hysterectomy by lapriscopy on September 18. I have a couple questions/concerns. I am nervous they may do more than partial due to a fibroid on my right ovary. Also, my mother says she had a partial by lapriscopy and was in and out the same day. My doctor said I would stay 1 night for sure, possibly 2. How long do most people stay in the hospital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Re: Hospital stay?

I had TAH and stayed one night. My dr had told me that if I thought I needed another night she would see what she could do, but all I wanted to do was GET OUT OF THERE! It wasn't horrible or anything, just boring and uncomfortable. So nice to be in my own bed, etc.
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Hi, I had a total LAVH and stayed just one night. And that was enough for me! As long as there are no complications you should be able to go home the same day, or the next day.........no longer than that. Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2014, 11:15 AM

From what I understand, with laparoscopic surgery, you can be out that same day if everything goes well, so one night should be enough. I was there for two-and-a-half days and two nights, but mine was abdominal. Good luck!!
Unread 08-28-2014, 02:39 PM

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy with 1 ovary and tube removed and I was released from the hospital the next day
Unread 08-28-2014, 02:50 PM

I had TAH and was out in 1 day but was originally scheduled for 2-3. Even paid copay to hospital for 2. It is really a decision for you and your doctor after to decided. If I had felt uncomfortable coming home, I would have spoke up to the dr, but like others was longing for my home!
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Re: Hospital stay after laparoscopic hysterectomy?

I had laparoscopic and went home the same day. Doctor told me beforehand that I would either go home same day or next, depending on what time I had the surgery and how I was doing.
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquiO29 View Post
Hello! I am having a partial hysterectomy by lapriscopy on September 18. I have a couple questions/concerns. I am nervous they may do more than partial due to a fibroid on my right ovary. Also, my mother says she had a partial by lapriscopy and was in and out the same day. My doctor said I would stay 1 night for sure, possibly 2. How long do most people stay in the hospital?
With most laparoscopy type procedures, your hospital stay is usually short-lived. I had a TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) which left me with an 8" vertical incision. My hospital stay was 4 days and 4 nights. The dressing was removed on Day 2 and I was unable to get up and out of bed before Day 3. I live in a city in Canada where the da Vinci method is only used when cancer is involved, so I was unable to have that method. Laparoscopy was out of the question as I had severe endometriosis with adhesions and scar tissue attached to my organs so I required the open incision for better access. The recovery time is much longer for this procedure versus the other types of hysterectomies.

Welcome to this community and take care
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:54 PM

I had the DaVinci and stayed over night. I think was in the hospital a little over 24 hours. As long as there are no complications and you can pee they will let you go home the next day.
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Davinci, kept only my ovaries gave everything else including large fibroid. Best stay of my life! I was a little afraid to leave so I stayed. Had a bunch of little in and out naps, visited with family and nurses. Ate a little and took my meds. Felt good to relax there and not worry about anything. I called it my vacation. Best choice ever!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register