Scheduled TAH Do you REALLY stop bleeding forever?! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you REALLY stop bleeding forever?! Do you REALLY stop bleeding forever?!

Unread 05-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Re: Do you REALLY stop bleeding forever?!

I posted this in reference to another question, but it applies here too.

RE: Sex is great, different, but great.....Sex without a cervix

Let's see if I can put this in words.....

Some women, me included, enjoy the feeling of a penis "bumping" against the cervix during sex. Some women may need that "bumping" to achieve orgasm. Some women even feel uterine contractions with an orgasm.

Since my hysterectomy, I found out that I can achieve an orgasm even without my cervix. So it is still great, but different. .

The first time we had sex, it definitely wasn't a WOW (but DH said it was - but then gain he hadn't gotten any in about 2 months!), but it was fine. But there were a lot of emotions involved: I was a little scared - would it hurt, would I bleed, what if I'm not completely healed, etc. But it was different and DH said it was different too. He says that it does feel a little different because he can feel that I don't have my cervix, but it still feels great. Just like my hand is different, just like his hand is different, etc. Different, but still great.

But we discussed it and I pointed out to him that different is the new normal and we'll have to accept it. Just like when he had back surgery, we had to accept a new normal. I'm just going to consider all the fun I'll have learning to "have fun" all over again.

Do I miss my cervical/uterine orgasms? Yes, I do! But I also miss perky boobs and a flat stomach. But I love the new closeness to my DH, love being able to be spontaneous, love being able to travel. You get the picture. No more fear of pain, bleeding, losing a week (or more) every month because of the pain and bleeding. I'd definitely say sex is better now than before.

Does that help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM

I kept my cervix. I have minor brownish spotting about 1 day close to the same time I would have had a period, but not much. It isn't enough that you have to wear even a pantyliner if you don't want, but definitely nothing like before. I hear if they are taking your cervix there will be no blood. My mom has her cervix and has never had the spotting. Good Luck with your surgery. Just wanted you to know there is a chance of spotting, but I have not read anybody that has a major amount of blood.
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Do you REALLY stop bleeding forever?!

I am more concerned about all of the problems I am reading about the vaginal cuff. It sounds like the stuff nightmares are made of!! It seems like you would heal quicker also if one kept the cervix. Another thing is my mom and grandma both have bladder isdues without theirs..I am going to talk to the dr again before the surgery, but your answer did help..thankyou.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by pmja View Post
I posted this in reference to another question, but it applies here too.

RE: Sex is great, different, but great.....Sex without a cervix

Let's see if I can put this in words.....

Some women, me included, enjoy the feeling of a penis "bumping" against the cervix during sex. Some women may need that "bumping" to achieve orgasm. Some women even feel uterine contractions with an orgasm.

Since my hysterectomy, I found out that I can achieve an orgasm even without my cervix. So it is still great, but different. .

The first time we had sex, it definitely wasn't a WOW (but DH said it was - but then gain he hadn't gotten any in about 2 months!), but it was fine. But there were a lot of emotions involved: I was a little scared - would it hurt, would I bleed, what if I'm not completely healed, etc. But it was different and DH said it was different too. He says that it does feel a little different because he can feel that I don't have my cervix, but it still feels great. Just like my hand is different, just like his hand is different, etc. Different, but still great.

But we discussed it and I pointed out to him that different is the new normal and we'll have to accept it. Just like when he had back surgery, we had to accept a new normal. I'm just going to consider all the fun I'll have learning to "have fun" all over again.

Do I miss my cervical/uterine orgasms? Yes, I do! But I also miss perky boobs and a flat stomach. But I love the new closeness to my DH, love being able to be spontaneous, love being able to travel. You get the picture. No more fear of pain, bleeding, losing a week (or more) every month because of the pain and bleeding. I'd definitely say sex is better now than before.

Does that help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2011, 06:47 PM

I had everything removed. I don't miss any of it! I have had no problems with my vaginal cuff. Sex is wonderful again! My HRT patch is keeping the hot flashes and night sweats away. I have been a slow healer but still have no regrets at all.

I have not had any bleeding since the second day after surgery. Only some very light pink discharge after sex the first few times.

No pads, No panty liners, No tampons!

Freedom!
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:14 PM

I had everything removed, except for my cervix (due to fibroids). I'm six months out from my surgery and haven't had any bleeding at all. Even after my surgery, I only had about a week of light pink discharge. Life has been wonderful since surgery...even now, when I go places, I still can't believe I don't have to worry about periods ever again. I have absolutely no regrets, none at all!!

I agree...freedom!!
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:22 PM

I spotted six weeks after my surgery. After that no bleeding. It's been 3 months and I shake my head with wonder. No heavy bleeding, no accidents, no pads. Thirty four years over in one surgery. I'm free... Soon, you'll be too.
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM

I can't wait!!! It all sounds so great. I am going back and forth over keeping or not keeping my cervix. I am a good candidate to keep it so I am leaning towards keeping it. The whole thought of stitches in there and everything that could go wrong with the cuff just freaks me out. I had 2 really hard kidney surgeries a few years back and I want this one to be as simple as possible!
Unread 06-02-2011, 05:29 PM

I had my hysterectomy February 24,2011. I haven't bleed any besides the light spotting in the hosptial the first two days.I haven't even thought about my missing period. I never had a regular one. It is so wonderful not to have to worry when it is going to start or not be able to do certain things. I hope your surgery goes good and the recovery is as smooth as possible.
Unread 06-02-2011, 05:41 PM

I had my LAVH on 3/22 (kept my cervix) and aside from some post-op spotting I haven't had any bleeding at all. FOUR months with no visits from Auntie Flo!!! I wore WHITE shorts on Monday with no fear

Sex has also been fantastic since I was cleared at 6 weeks!! Neither my DH or I have noticed any difference in sensation.

I have had no issues with my vaginal cuff at all. I think more of us don't have problems than do - but the women who do have issues come here for support and comfort.

Hope everything goes well with your surgery - and I'm sure that you and your Dr will make the best decision for you.
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:05 PM

If you keep your cerix you don't have a vaginal cuff, right?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register