Tah & Bso | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Tah & Bso

This is my first post, so I hope I do it right. I'm scheduled for surgery Feb 28th. I'm having a TAH & BSO. I'm 42 years old and have suffered with Endometriosis for many years. During a regular Pap exam eleven years ago, my doctor detected something unusual and scheduled me for a Laparoscopy. The results were that I had severe Endometriosis, "stuck" ovaries, and colon damage. For the last six months, the pain has increased dramatically, bowel movements are very painful, sharp pains in rectum, increased irritability, etc. Three years ago, my twin sister almost died from endometriosis. She had a radical hysterectomy and spent 2 days in intensive care. The reason that I posting here is because I have no support. I had a falling out with my family a year ago and my twin sister lives in Florida, and we might talk once every 2 or 3 months. Frankly, I'm scared to death! I believe that I'm doing the right thing. I have been on hormone therapy for many years which has slowed the growth process. I'm afraid after surgery that I will gain weight, have migraine headaches, terrible mood swings, etc. For the past 4 years, I have exercised on a tread mill to maintain my target weight, lower my cholesterol, and improve my metabolism. Will I have to work harder to maintain my weight? Will I feel better? Is the surgery worth it? I'm very depressed and find myself crying wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Since my twin sister almost died, that makes my doctor very concerned and raises a red flag. Help! I need some support...please. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Tah & Bso

S

Welcome to HysterSisters! There is tons of information, advice, support, and s when you need them.

I don't have any personal experience with endo, but there is lots of info here on the site, and lots of other members who also suffer from it.

There is also an awesome resource link directory you can get to by clicking here or click Resources at the top of each page. You can find almost anything relating to hysterectomies, surgery, hormones, diagnoses, books, the list goes on and on.

Check out the Pre Op Checkpoints (click here) which have lists of questions for your DR, discussions about topics such as whether to keep the ovaries and/or cervix, suggestions of things to take to the hospital with you, and lots more.

Also the PostOp Articles (click here) has lots of good advice about your recovery.

Princess Stories (click here) are just that - chronicles of the journey leading to the decision to have a hyst, the hospital experience, and recovery.

Please be sure to read the info New Here? which can also be accessed from the top of every screen, for important information to help you get the most out of this site.

Read and research as much as possible to help you, in conjunction with your DR, make the best decisions for you.

Best wishes!
Unread 02-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Tah & Bso

Welcome!

I am having the same surgery the day after you, and am very nervous. I also dont get much support from my family, all they say "Will it needs to be done, so deal with it." and my DH, well, he is dealing with the feelings of never having a child of his own. (I do have 2 girls from my first marriage, and they live with their dad.) You will feel at home in this group.

Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2005, 05:27 PM
I know what you mean...

I just had a TAH/BSO on 2/3/05. I too had endo and numerous abnormal paps. I had been on hormones for years. Finally my dr agreed to do the surgery. The main reason for his prior hesitation....I am only 27 years old.
I was scared to death! Especially the day before and the day of the surgery. Talking to my dr and this site had helped me so much! I had all the worries about not coming out of the surgery. But it all went off without a hitch. No problems with the surgery. Recovery is going ok. Not as bad as I was anticipating.
You're fears are normal. And all these wonderful ladies on the site are here for you! Including me!
What I kept telling myself is that nothing can be as bad as what I have been going through for the past couple of years. It can only be better. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Unread 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM
I have no medical background but...

... from what you've posted, it certainly reads like you're making the right choice.

I think it is totally natural to be nervous ... heck, I'm practically petrified about my upcoming surgery and I have much less cause to go through with it then you do.

I expect some sisters who have been through their surgeries will tell you how much relief they have experienced ... or you can browse the archives on the site to unearth their stories.

As for help ... although you are estranged from your family, do you have friends you can approach? Do you belong to any groups? Service clubs?

I also live alone and I've experienced an amazing outpouring of help from my friends once they realized I was about to have surgery. I am also fortunate in having relatively close family members who are willing to stay with me for the first 2-3 weeks.

I know it is difficult to ask for help but you may be surprised to discover how many women have had this surgery -- I've certainly been surprised -- and how willing many are to offer help.

Best of luck and keep well,
IslandScribe

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register