hot flashes/nights sweats with one ovary? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hot flashes/nights sweats with one ovary? hot flashes/nights sweats with one ovary?

Unread 08-19-2005, 08:45 PM
hot flashes/nights sweats with one ovary?

i am 2 weeks post op and i have begun, just today, to sweat really bad. as i post this i have a fan on me and i am still sweating. they only took one ovary is it normal for me to feel this way??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2005, 02:41 AM

Hi Laura, I'm 8 weeks post-op now also with 1 ovary. I've been experiencing night sweats and hot flashes since the surgery. I've been told my remaining ovary is "sleeping" and it may or may not wake up. Sometimes (and I quote my doctor) the blood supply to the ovary is permanently shut off after surgery. I'm hoping it comes back to life, I kept it for a reason! Hang in there... it's normal... talk to your doctor if you get too miserable.

39 yo, TAH + LSO 6/24/05
4 years of uncontrollable bleeding/clotting & one cyst-infested ovary.
Unread 08-20-2005, 06:25 AM
so that's why.....

I have been waking up all sweaty. And to think, I have been blaming DH for messing with the air conditioning. I didn't even think of hot flashes as being a possibility yet. I also have one ovary left. I will talk to my DR about that when I go in for my 6 week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2005, 08:48 AM

Here is an reply that I sent to another of our sisters on yesterday. This realy worked for me and so I'll just share the same response I shared with her.

Here goes.

Yes, you can have hot flashes with your overies still intact. I started having hot flashes before my TVH. That is actually what alerted me to the fact that something was changing with my body. I was having night sweats as well and I thought it was too early for menopause (I'm only 38). But sure enough I learned that I had indeed been going through early menopause. All this was happening before the surgery.

I started taking NewPhase (over the counter med-natural herb) to help while I awaited my surgery. It was wonderful. It helped me sleep and the hotflashes were fewer in number.

Now, I am 8 days post op and I kept my overies because while they may not be working up to par anymore, they were healthy and working a little so my doctor wanted me to keep them.

I am still taking the NewPhase and I've added natural soy (also purchased otc)to my regimen. Natural soy has a natural estrogen-like effect on the body. I find that it has helped tremendously. I have only had one hotflash since the surgery and no night sweats. Even the mood swings (weepy times) are fewer and far between.

I hope this helps,
Mspittmang
Unread 08-20-2005, 09:13 AM

I also had one ovary removed and had night sweats (and hot flashes during the day) for 5 weeks - now all of a sudden I am only getting one a night and it isn't as intense. So don't give up your ovary can wake up -I'm 45. Good Luck with your recovery.
Unread 08-20-2005, 10:59 AM

I kept one of my ovaries and had night sweats for about 2 weeks after I first came home from the hospital,they've stopped for the time being. I'm hoping the ovary keeps doing its job!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register