TAH 2 weeks post hysterectomy - overdid it | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post hysterectomy - overdid it 2 weeks post hysterectomy - overdid it

Unread 09-21-2017, 07:40 PM
2 weeks post hysterectomy - overdid it

So as many times I heard "DONT OVER DO IT, even though your feeling better" I can't believe how bad I screwed up. I have a very high pain tolerance and not a cryer. Well yesterday I was just doing some light house work, I had laundry in on my floor. I listened and knew not to pick it up. But I went ahead and scooted it to the laundry room with my foot🤦🏻*♀️ It was the smallest movement and it wasn't a huge heavy load. Well let me tell you, I regret it so bad. 4 hours later my stomach/sides hurt terrible. I hurt worse than the day I came home, So ladies, listen to our sisters!!! I feel like I totally set my self back, and now I'm worried I'm not going to feel good enough for a road trip next week 😢
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2017, 04:58 PM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy - overdid it

What's often not understood is that pulling and pushing motions can exceed our limits on lifting. If your abs are engaged, it can affect them. Many of us have something where we realized we did too much. For me, it was a 4-hour shopping trip at 12 days post-op. I was asleep in a recliner by 7pm.

Rest for the next day or two aside from walking. Ice if needed, and if your pain increases, put a call in to your doctor's office. It may just be a temporary setback.

Unread 09-22-2017, 05:10 PM

This I needed to read..I am only two days out and want to do more..Don't want to be "lazy"I can hardly stay upright for more then 30 to 40 min before I start to feel it. In my head I can do more and was going to ask my husband if he could carry a load of laundry so I run a load in the washing machine. Luckily for me he can reel me back in and sent me back to bed. LOL...Have to check my stubborn independent side for some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
This I needed to read..I am only two days out and want to do more..Don't want to be "lazy"I can hardly stay upright for more then 30 to 40 min before I start to feel it. In my head I can do more and was going to ask my husband if he could carry a load of laundry so I run a load in the washing machine. Luckily for me he can reel me back in and sent me back to bed. LOL...Have to check my stubborn independent side for some time.
Definitely don't over do it!! I swear I was in more pain than when I came home from the hospital! Hang in there!!! Good Luck !
Unread 09-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussette View Post
What's often not understood is that pulling and pushing motions can exceed our limits on lifting. If your abs are engaged, it can affect them. Many of us have something where we realized we did too much. For me, it was a 4-hour shopping trip at 12 days post-op. I was asleep in a recliner by 7pm.

Rest for the next day or two aside from walking. Ice if needed, and if your pain increases, put a call in to your doctor's office. It may just be a temporary setback.

Thank you for you response! This morning was sooooo bad I felt worse than I even did at my 4 day stay at the hospital! Tonight I think I may be doing better, it's hard telling because I had to go back to taking my pain meds :-(
Unread 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM

I had a set back during week 2 into recovery just from engaging my abs more while sitting up. I was hit w aches, pains & fatigue. It kicked me back to week 1 & it took a week to pull out of it.

Put your feet up, a heating pad may be your buddy. I was prescribed Motrin.

Eat healthy, protein for healing, stay well hydrated.

My tip for doing laundry while recovering- If you're up for walking, walk a couple items at a time to the washer. No lifting a laundry basket. Keep walking trips to washer. Squat vs bend if needed for moving items. Walk only a few items at a time when finished. This way, youll get in some walking & bonus laundry done!

Feel better!
Unread 09-22-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
I had a set back during week 2 into recovery just from engaging my abs more while sitting up. I was hit w aches, pains & fatigue. It kicked me back to week 1 & it took a week to pull out of it.

Put your feet up, a heating pad may be your buddy. I was prescribed Motrin.

Eat healthy, protein for healing, stay well hydrated.

My tip for doing laundry while recovering- If you're up for walking, walk a couple items at a time to the washer. No lifting a laundry basket. Keep walking trips to washer. Squat vs bend if needed for moving items. Walk only a few items at a time when finished. This way, youll get in some walking & bonus laundry done!

Feel better!
How severe was your pain? I actually feel worse then my first day home. I had actually was down to maybe taking an ibeprophen to now having to take that and a Percocet. I'm afraid I really screwed something up. I was given the ok to go on a trip next week , and now I don't even know how I can survive that :-(
Unread 09-23-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvthebeach74 View Post
How severe was your pain? I actually feel worse then my first day home. I had actually was down to maybe taking an ibeprophen to now having to take that and a Percocet. I'm afraid I really screwed something up. I was given the ok to go on a trip next week , and now I don't even know how I can survive that :-(
I had TAH, a spinal block & anesthesia, so it gave me a jump start w recovery. Im probably an unusual one- despite having a big surgery, I only took 800 mg Motrin, no narcotics. (Maybe all that time bf surgery & having discomfirt conditiined me?) But the set back, I had pain & fatigue like I hit a wall. I was more alert at the hospital on day 2 then I was down w the setback. It lasted a week for me.

Your body needs rest. Throughout this recovery, youll need to take 1 day at a time & dont push it. Its not a A-Z recovery even w the best circumstances. There's good & not so good days.

At week 8, I thought I was feeling good. I went to see my sister. Its an hour to 1 1/2 hr drive each way-my husband drove. I was there for the day plus I had to go thru my mom's belongings (she passed away right bf my surgery). By late afternoon, my face was so pale, I was fatigued. I got home around 9 pm. I was quite fatigued & it lasted for 2 days.

It doesnt hurt to call your Dr to ease your mind. That's what theyre there for..

Feel better!
Unread 09-23-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
I had TAH, a spinal block & anesthesia, so it gave me a jump start w recovery. Im probably an unusual one- despite having a big surgery, I only took 800 mg Motrin, no narcotics. (Maybe all that time bf surgery & having discomfirt conditiined me?) But the set back, I had pain & fatigue like I hit a wall. I was more alert at the hospital on day 2 then I was down w the setback. It lasted a week for me.

Your body needs rest. Throughout this recovery, youll need to take 1 day at a time & dont push it. Its not a A-Z recovery even w the best circumstances. There's good & not so good days.

At week 8, I thought I was feeling good. I went to see my sister. Its an hour to 1 1/2 hr drive each way-my husband drove. I was there for the day plus I had to go thru my mom's belongings (she passed away right bf my surgery). By late afternoon, my face was so pale, I was fatigued. I got home around 9 pm. I was quite fatigued & it lasted for 2 days.

It doesnt hurt to call your Dr to ease your mind. That's what theyre there for..

Feel better!
Ok, Thank you so much. And so sorry about your mom .
Hugs......
Unread 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvthebeach74 View Post
Ok, Thank you so much. And so sorry about your mom .
Hugs......
Thank you! Best wishes with your continued recovery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register