Freakin' out here!!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freakin' out here!!!! Freakin' out here!!!!

Unread 09-10-2001, 04:49 PM
Freakin' out here!!!!

One quick question..........How long do you need the morphine for????????????????? Im freaking out now thinking about the post op pain!!!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2001, 04:56 PM
Freakin' out here!!!!

Hi Mary...Take care deep breath. I didn't need Morphine for that long after the surgery. It was the next night that they removed my Morphine pump and then they try to get you on some oral pain meds. When I cam home I think that I used pain meds a total of 3 times and have used Advil the rest of the time. The pain is not unbearable like you are thinking. You will be just fine. If you need to talk please don't hesitate to email me.
BIG 's
Unread 09-10-2001, 04:59 PM
Freakin' out here!!!!

Hi Mary, I wasnt given Mophine. I got Torodol. It depends on your level of pain as to what they give you. My pain was only bad for the first day and it wasnt as bad as I expected. They will ask you to rate your pain, so if you are in bad pain, they will give you what you need to get relief. The day after my surgery, I just took Percoset and that is what I came home taking. I will have to say that this pain to me was not what I expected. If I had to compare it to something, it felt more like I had been kicked in the stomach instead of sharp pain... It got better each day. Dont freak out!!! They will make sure that you are comfortable and not in pain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2001, 05:01 PM
Freakin' out here!!!!

Mary, please don't worry too much about the pain......it's very manageable and the nurses to their best to keep you comfortable. I had the PCA pump for only one day, and after that had oral meds for my pain. When I awoke in the recovery room I had no pain at all. I did have pain when I turned in bed, or got up to go to the bathroom or walk the halls, but believe it or not, the more I walked, the better I felt. Believe me when I say the waiting IS the hardest part.

Best wishes,
Unread 09-10-2001, 06:35 PM
Freakin' out here!!!!

Hi Mary...

Based on prior surgeries, I was expecting the pain to be much worse than it turned out to be! Catherine and the others are right...it's not going to like you're expecting. I woke up and it felt like a burning pain...about a six on a scale of 1-10. I got a shot of Toredol and was shown how to use the PCA pump. After that, it never went over a two.

The next morning, I got rid of the pump and went to 800mgs of Motrin every four hours. Took that for about a week, then only when I really felt sore. I could walk and sit up pretty easily the very next morning, with just a little help due to being shaky.

Each of us has a different reaction to pain, of course, but please try not to drive yourself crazy anticipating it. It's not ever as bad as we think it's going to be. With all we've been through, it's very manageable! I promise!

Karen
Unread 09-10-2001, 07:45 PM
Don't freak!

Mary

I expected to have alot more pain than I did. My surgery was at about 10 a.m. and by 10 p.m. I was asking to get out of bed. No I am not a sadist, it was the gas pains.

I only got about 4 shots of Demerol and they put me on oral Percoset. When I came home 4 days later I was on Advil. Now I only take it when I hurt, usually from overdoing.

Relax. The more afraid you are the worse it will be. Take a deep breath and tell yourself your going to be just fine.

Best of luck.
Unread 09-10-2001, 09:26 PM
Freakin' out here!!!!

Hi, Mary,
I have to chime in here, too! I had a spinal with my TVH/BSO so woke up with zero pain...or any other feeling in the lower half of my body either...for several hours. As that wore off, the pain showed up...deep aching, kind of like cramps I'd had in the past. My only problem was that, for whatever reason, the dosage on the PCA was too low for me so it did nothing at all when I pushed the button. I commented to the nurses that it didn't seem to be helping very much...they'd say push the button again and I would and then I would wait.
As I am sure you know, the PCAs are set so you absolutely can't overdose. But in my quest to be the world's best patient ever, I let my pain get out of hand before I REALLY spoke up and said, I AM pushing it and it's NOT helping. As soon as I really spoke up, my doctor came and they changed the dosage on the PCA plus gave me a shot of Torodol in the IV. I could have had that about two or three hours earlier if I hadn't been so timid. After that, no problem. The moral of this story is to a) not let the pain get ahead of you and b) speak up for yourself!! My hospital seems to not be quite with the new pain rating system because no one ever asked me how my pain was; I had to TELL them!
And finally - the whole thing was much easier than I expected!
to you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register