Decreased appetite? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Decreased appetite? Decreased appetite?

Unread 03-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Decreased appetite?

Comic Sans MS]Has anyone else had a decreased appetite since their surgery? I never feel hungry...so I don't really eat. Has anyone dealt with this? Do you just make yourself eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Decreased appetite?

I am with you on this. I can barely make myself look in the cupboards or refrigerator, let alone actually eat something. My DS takes it as a personal victory if he can get me to take 3 bites of something.

I am doubtful that it has anything to do with my activity level since I am still really active. I also do not think it has to do with meds, since I only take motrin a couple times a day.

I think that my body just has not decided that it is ready to eat yet. When it does, I know I will be fine. For right now, though, I am trying to eat things like fruit, yogurt, turkey, veggies. I figure I cannot waste my appetite on things that are empty calories.

I am seriously thinking that I need to ask my Dr. about vitamins, though. Just to be on the safe side.
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Decreased appetite?

I was "selectively hungry" my first week post op. Eggs had HUGH appeal, as did anything that had chocolate or might otherwise be considered dessert LOL. Even then I couldn't eat very much until I had a few bowel movements (they started 5 days post op).
I'm ashamed to admit my appetite improved a great deal over the next 4 weeks - so much so that I gain 8 lbs and am now I porky 112lbs.
Ensure or Boost are good to keep on hand for the first couple of weeks. They're nutritious and require zero preparation - taste pretty good too.
All the best with your recoveries. Every day will get a little better and you'll be feeling great before you know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2008, 07:40 AM
Decreased appetite?

I too was not hungry following surgery. Just in the past few days have I started eating normally again, and I am 2 weeks out. I think it is normal. Just make sure to eat well when you do. I have lost 3 lbs since the surgery, and I am hoping to keep it off.
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Decreased appetite?

Hi Jeni
I am also 2 weeks out and am forcing myself right NOW to eat some oatmeal so I can take my vitamins!
My appetitie comes & goes, and that never happened to me before.
(I did crave chcolaote last night, ate a huge chocomuffin and then felt nauseaus...)
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Decreased appetite?

Hi,

Yes, I have less of an appetite and when I am hungry nothing appeals to me.
I'm also hoping I will lose weight because of it.

Betty-Jo
Unread 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Decreased appetite?

Thanks for posting to let me know I wasn't alone! I do crave sweets sometimes, but I try to stay away from them because...well...they're sweets. LOL Other than that...nada. I also have desires for cheese every once in a while...you can bet your hyster behind I'm not eating that! I need to go poop...not block it in! LOL So, I guess I will just watch it and maybe buy some ensure or something like was mentioned to make sure I am getting my vitamins and nutrients.

Thanks again!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register