Fibroids: so many decisions, I need help!! | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids: so many decisions, I need help!! Fibroids: so many decisions, I need help!!

Unread 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Fibroids: so many decisions, I need help!!

I was diagnosed in September with fibroids. (2) 6 cm, many smaller ones. Very Enlarged uterus, I am measuring 15-16 weeks, and growing. I have been having horrible back pain, groin and lower abdominal pain for the last year and a half. I was actually worried about ovarian cancer, so the fibroids were "good" news. Now I have to do something about them..I am 42, and have children. My gyn has given two options..hysterectomy or fibroid emolization. My bleeding is heavy during my cycle, but only lasts for 4 days...so bleeding isn't really the issue. It is the pain, incontinence, and bloat. I have all the children I want..,so why do I feel so sad about having a hysterectomy? He would leave both ovaries, as well. Oh, and I have not ha an MRI, just an ultrasound..and they aren't very reliable...I am Sure many of you have had to make this decision...can you help me with mine??? Thanks so much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Re: Fibroids: so many decisions, I need help!!

I feel for you. I have been debating between a hysterectomy (uterus only) or a laparoscopy with D&C and endometrial ablation. I finally have decided and feel good about my decision to have the latter. My obgyn told me I will most likely be back in his office within 3 years, but I am okay with that. For me, although I am certain I am done having children, I need more time to process this major decision. I thought, why not try the less invasive? It will actually be my 2nd lap. (due to endometriosis, fibroid, cyst, and polyps). After the first I had 3 children. And here I am, again, with junk that doesn't belong there. I guess, if my kids weren't so young, I'd be more apt to having the hysterectomy since recovery would be easier if they were older, but like I said, I feel at peace with the decision I have made for now. Wish you the best with whatever you choose is right for you....
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Re: Fibroids: so many decisions, I need help!!

Hi Floridasassy:

Have you had a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion? Perhaps another opinion will help you to make the decision. Here is a link to the Fibroids section of our Resources Directory: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

I hope you are able to find the right answer soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register