Want to be normal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Want to be normal Want to be normal

Unread 03-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Want to be normal

I am about 3 and a half weeks from surgery. This morning I drove to my daughter's volleyball tournament. I stayed and watched 1 match which is 3 games. She plays 2 more matches but I couldn't stay. Driving home was a challenge. Mind you I was sitting but I got very tired and started to feel some tightening in me belly(TVH). Do you think it was because I was sitting that I got tired? I wanted to start back to work on Thursday. I teach 1st graders, I am thinking maybe be up and on my feet will help me not feel so tired. I can't believe I couldn't stay for the other matches. This is not like me. I guess I just needed to vent. I need to be not tired. I feel like I am a beached whale.
I need to be moving and exercising. I guess I want to be normal again. Well, coffee is ready, maybe that will help. Sorry to complain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Want to be normal

You are not complaining!! I know what you feel like. I had a TAH/BSO and I really felt like I would never be normal again! When I first started venturing out at about 3 weeks I was really dizzy and weak. This lasted for quit awhile for me. A trip to the store would just wipe me out! So you are not alone. I started feeling like things were finally getting better about 5 weeks. So hang in there, it will get better.
Unread 03-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Want to be normal

As another teacher, I would reconsider returning this week if you can. I waited the full 12 weeks (is it different here in UK?) and I am so glad i did. I felt so good at home that I was beginning to think I had left it too long but when i did return, I felt so drained I can't describe it to you.
I know this is just my experience but i think you need to feel really pretty much back to normal at home before teaching.
Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Want to be normal

Hi i am 3 weeks post op and have two young children I feel the same I keep thinking that maybe if I get up and do things washing and a Little cleaning I will feel better I am climbing the walls being such an active person I thought about all the complications and how the children would feel but never took on board how I would deal with 4 to 6 weeks no driving and the tiredness I just want to be back to smiley me again.
Unread 03-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Want to be normal

I know exactly what all of you mean. I never thought that this would be so hard. I have had several surgeries in my time and this one was the hardest to get over. I could not believe how tired I would get. I mean, I would take a shower and by the time that I needed to rinse the conditioner out I was totally sapped out!! I am a very active person, so this not only weirded my out but frustrated me too.

So what I had to do was realize that I had to take baby steps. Like, I would take a shower, then lay down. I did small things like that at first and it really helped. After that I did start to get much better. I am nowhere near to 100% yet, but I am getting there. I found that by making these "baby steps" I am recovering easier and better. Since it has only been four and a half weeks since my surgery I feel that I am finally on the good road to recovery.

If I were you, I would wait until at least the eight week mark before you go back to teaching. Being on your feet for so long will wear you out much faster than you think...believe me. Please take care of yourself. You deserve to feel you best. Remember that you have been through alot.
Unread 03-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Want to be normal

No you're no complaining!!! Many of us are feeling the same way. I agree with Marianni, I would reconsider going back to work so soon. I would think about waiting atleast the full 6 weeks. Even though you had a TVH instead of the TAH it was still taxing on your system. I am not a teacher but I can just imagine a classroom full of 1st graders would wipe you out the first few hours of classtime.
I myself at almost 6 weeks still get tired pretty quickly. I went with my sister and neice Wed this past week for a few hours for prom dress shopping. I just helped pick a few dresses and I was wiped out. And the swelly belly ensued later that night. Sitting or standing for long periods for me brings the swelly belly on.
Take it easy your still healing and as many have said on here, You only get one chance to heal correctly.
God Bless in your decision!
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Want to be normal

Oh don't we all want to be normal. i too have days that i get wiped out. doesn't take much. i get tired just standing by the sink washing dishes. i'm almost at my 7th week post op. please, just rest, reconsider about going back to work to soon... take care of yourself.

AnnRuthie
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Want to be normal

I am 4 1/2 weeks out and I am still feeling exhausted. Part of the reson is that my hemoglobin is only 9, but I feel like I am never going to get my strength back! It is frustrating! My mind says I need to be up doing things and then when I do, I am wasted for the rest of the day! Going back to work does not seem inviting to me at all at this time! Help!
Unread 03-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Want to be normal

I went back to teaching first graders after being out 8 weeks with a TAH. I came home the first day and did nothing and everyday since- I do nothing after school but come home and rest. I'm three weeks back to work now, and I come home and still do nothing!! (You get the point!) Don't go back too soon! The children will be fine without you until you are 100%. You only have one chance to heal correctly.
Unread 03-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Want to be normal

I've found that I get more tired when I sit a lot, and my belly gets more swelly with sitting a lot. My son plays high school tennis, and his matches start in a week or so, and I've already decided I'm taking my old fashioned lawn chairs as opposed to the bag chairs, or sitting on bleachers. That way I can get up and walk around a bit as needed.
I think at this stage of recovery, it's normal to tire easily, especially when you haven't been as active as usual. We did senior pictures this morning, and then went to the mall to order son's tux for prom, and I'm ready to curl up in the recliner for the rest of the evening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register