Binders ~ how long did you wear one? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Binders ~ how long did you wear one? Binders ~ how long did you wear one?

Unread 04-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Binders ~ how long did you wear one?

It's been 8 days since I had my LSH & I'm still wearing the binder. I'm a little nervous about taking it off since it helps when I have to sneeze, cough or the dog decides she wants to hop on my lap.

Just wondering how long I should wear it. Was also wondering if anyone wore theirs when they went back to work. My job is very physical & I'm thinking it would help me ease back into the swing of things.

~ Thanks ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Re: Binders ~ how long did you wear one?

I'm almost 6 weeks I had a TAH & TT. I tried to wear the support panties yesterday just because this binder is so hot & bulky but I actually feel better with the binder on. It helps with the low pressure. Maybe when you go back to work take it with you just in case. But go buy some support panties & see how they make you feel. I had a 4 inch incision about 8yrs ago, & they didn't offer me a binder so I wore the support panties, it helped a lot! good luck!
Unread 04-03-2011, 08:56 AM

One day!! My last nurse(who I hated), sent me home with a binder way too big for me. It doesn't do a thing. She seemed to be trying to insult me all day, by getting me the hugest wheel chair(for a 500# person), biggest binder etc.

I have complained about her horrible treatment.

I am a larger size(18), but not near what she was implying.
I have meant to replace the binder, but forgot to take it at my 2 week follow up. Now I figure I may just as well forget it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2011, 09:55 AM

I had a TAH going on 7 weeks ago and I find myself still wearing mine when I am out and about. It feels more secure for me. Also it helps with swelling. You should use your best judgment and wear it as often as you feel comfortable. There is no time limit as to how long, just do what you feel.
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:38 AM

i wore my binder at the hospital and a little after i got home, mainly to save my back. after a week i stopped wearing it because i had to remove it every time i went to the bathroom and just seemed too much trouble to wear all the time.
was this a bad thing? i don't seem to be having problems except for occasional twinges in my abdomen. i had stitches running all the way down from my belly button to my pubis.
i'm now into my fifth week and i've been fairly active doing driving and shopping. not working because i'm currently unemployed and going into chemotherapy starting apr. 12th.
pat
Unread 04-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Unread 04-03-2011, 04:39 PM

CAT-K - They gave me a binder that was too large too! I am a size 16 or 18 and the binder was much too long. I had to wear it clear up to my breasts and it extended to about mid hair line below. Everytime I sat upright, I had to unvelcro the bottom and bend it out of the way. I asked for a smaller one, but they kept forgetting to bring it to me.

SCWON - I wore mine till Day 11. I probably would have worn it longer, but because it was oversized, it was a hassle to keep adjusting and I had to take it off to go to the bathroom. I have missed it because I am still battling a cough. I'm thinking of ordering one from this website for when I'm ready to get out and about.
Unread 04-03-2011, 05:27 PM

it seems to me that the ones issued to us larger women are more or less designed for men, so that while they may be wide enough to get around our more than abundant tummies, they're too long for our torsos, especially when it comes to being under the breasts and manuvering the curve between the waist and the hips. i kept on having problems with the velcro irritating my skin where my hip met my upper thigh so i likely didn't wear it as long as i should have.
pat
Unread 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Not only was mine way too long. It started at 64" and went to 72" or something. I know I am chubby, but even on the smallest setting it was no where close to fitting. Why the heck wouldn't they ask for your size or measure the person?
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM

I ordered the one from this site and I'm so glad to have it. I wasn't sure it would be necessary--but it makes a big difference to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register