FMLA/Pre-arranging time off from work before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

FMLA/Pre-arranging time off from work before surgery FMLA/Pre-arranging time off from work before surgery

Unread 05-01-2013, 06:09 AM
FMLA/Pre-arranging time off from work before surgery

I had to get approved for FMLA before my surgery so that I could justify my time off from work. In the 12 years of my working for my current employer (local government) I have rarely taken time off sick and have accumulated about 25 weeks of sick time. The surgeon (not my regular GYN as he does not do the DaVinci surgery) told me that I would only need 2 weeks off work and that is how he filled out my paperwork for FMLA. I am supposed to return to work on Monday and there is NO WAY this is going to happen. I am exhausted after only an hour or two of light activity. I have brain fog so bad I feel like I just drift through my day in a stupor. I have an "office job" but it is mentally and emotionally very demanding. Because I have a reputation of not taking off sick and of working very hard and being reliable/picking up the slack of the slackers, I will be expected to return to work 100% from day one with no excuses for being tired or fogged out. Anything less than this will get me criticism and disdain from coworkers (who have all taken off many months for surgeries in the last few years) and superiors (who expect more of me than of everyone else).

My regular GYN and the nurse at my family doctor's office told me that I would need 4 weeks off, at least. I am 52 years old, not a young woman anymore and slower to heal and recover these days. Now I have to ask the surgeon for an extra 2 weeks off at my post-op today. I am just simply exhausted every day still, and of course I have the discomfort of the swelly belly and off and on burning pains from above one of my incisions. Even if it gives it to me, I will face problems from coworkers and management.

My reason for this post is to advise all women who have not yet had the surgery to COUNT on 4-6 weeks off afterward and to plan for that and get FMLA paperwork that reflects that from your surgeon. Tell this to your HR people....4-6 weeks, Do not go off work for the surgery and allow your coworkers and employer to believe you will be back in 2 weeks. If you happen to be able to return sooner then your doctor can sign the FMLA release forms and you can return earlier. That will be much easier and cause you fewer problems than doing it the way I did it. Save yourself a lot of physical and emotional stress and anguish! Plan for max weeks off and go back if you happen to feel better sooner.

Good luck to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register