The incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-14-2002, 07:22 AM
The incision

Hi.

About how long is the incision for a TAH BSO? Is it longer vertical or horizontal or about the same size? Anybody know?

Wednesday when I was scheduled I couldn't think of a single question but now I am compiling a list for my doc. I thought I could probably get this answered here though.

Thanks a bunch and God Bless

Kim †
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2002, 07:33 AM
vertical or horizontal depends on what they find

and there isn't any real way to predict which you will get. Really enlarged uterus and scar tissue might need a vertical. The length of the incision also is dependent on the uterine size. Some of this also depends on your surgeon's skill and confidence. Ultrasound is a tool the doc can use pre-op to assess the anatomy.

Perusing the posts, I don't see that many women getting verticals, if that reassures you.
Unread 12-14-2002, 08:17 AM
The incision

Hi Kim

My horizontal incision is about six inches long which is not as bad as it seems! I had a previous incision from a myomectomy so the doctor went through there and it's healed nicely and evenly.

On the pre-op helpful hints pull down menu there's a list of questions you can ask your doctor. I used the list as a guideline and customized it for my own needs. Here's the link:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2002, 08:30 AM
The incision

I had a TAH/BSO with a bikini incision where my old c-section scar was.

It was about 5 1/2 inches then. I can barely see it now....just a pink line about an inch shorter so far.

Here are a couple threads that discuss incision length...

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...+your+incision
bikini line length

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...+your+incision
how long is incision

It depends on what you have going on that brought you to having surgery done as to what kind of incision or how long it is. Also can be preference of doc too. Some may be more confident with vertical than bikini or even laps or vaginals for that matter.

You may want to utilize the search feature here at the top of the page to get more info on the different incisions.

Hope this helps!

s
Unread 12-14-2002, 09:23 AM
The incision

Hi Kim, I had a tah/bso in July. It was a vbikini cut about 6 1/2" long. It's healed nicely, still tender to he touch after a long active day. I was the same as you, didn't think of the questions till later. Good luck, keep us posted. s
Unread 12-14-2002, 09:31 AM
The incision

Thanks ladies.

Seems about 6 inches give or take. I also have a C-section scar so maybe he'll just go that route too.
Unread 12-14-2002, 10:40 AM
The incision

Hi Kim,

I just had my TAH/BSO on Tues. 12/10. I just measured my incision -- it's 8" but really isn't too bad. I'm fairly small and its very low. They glued it and has steri strips. It really looks pretty good, for being fairly fresh.

Debbie
Unread 12-14-2002, 01:37 PM
The incision

I have to laugh only because I have been away from the board for several months. I've been sick a lot this year and am hoping 2003 is going to be MUCH better. Anyway, back in the summer this was the same discussion!!! 5 - 6 maby 7" was typical. I had a TAH/BSO and a tummy tuck. My incision is something like 21" --I forget exactly. The topic has often been a hot one!

I'm glad to be back!!!!!

TC
Unread 12-15-2002, 07:49 AM
The incision

I'd like some comments on incisions also. I've never had surgery. My only experience with an incision was when my daughter was 12 and had a growth removed from her back. The incision opened, we had problems with the doctor's office, and it caused her a lot of pain and left a terrible scar. I have to have a vertical cut because of the size of my uterus, and am more than a little nervous about this aspect. I'm a very small woman. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Unread 12-15-2002, 01:56 PM
The incision

Hello,

my doc was very skilled and was hoping to do my surgery vaginally, even though he had estimated my uterus to be about 16 weeks. It turns out it was more like 20 weeks, and he decided on the morning of my surgery to do it abdominally, because I had a massive fibroid way down low and he was worried about damaging the ureters...Anyway, he managed to get that whole sucker out through a short horizontal incision just below my hair line. I was amazed! I had only internal stitches and steri-strips and it healed very well. He told me that was because I'm not fat....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register