Having TAH in 3 1/2 weeks due to fibroids, have lots of questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having TAH in 3 1/2 weeks due to fibroids, have lots of questions Having TAH in 3 1/2 weeks due to fibroids, have lots of questions

Unread 01-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Having TAH in 3 1/2 weeks due to fibroids, have lots of questions

Hi
I am pretty new to this site but i have read a lot on here already. I have some questions though. Every thread I read about fibroids, everyone said they had bleeding with theirs. I have been dealing a whole year with my fibroid. last check a few months ago it was 5cm x4cm. doesn't seem big compared to what i have read but very painful. doctor said its possible it is pushing on a nerve and causing so much pain on lower right side and back. Anyway, I was wondering if its normal to have fibroids with so much pain but no real heavy bleeding at all. Since Sept. they did put me on Depo shots to help with the pain and that got rid of my periods. Of course, that lead to hot flashes and I am tired all the time. I am 39 and overweight. I gained 7 extra pounds since beginning the deporovera shots. My surgery is on Feb 20th. They told me it would be a TAH because of my size and extra weight on my belly. So here are my questions:
is this extra weight going to hurt my recovery time? will i be in more pain because i am overweight? if they keep my ovaries, will i again have periods once all this medicine is out of me? docs never did a biopsy on the fibroids, is this normal? i am pretty nervous about all of this. hoping i am making the right decision. just feel overwhelmed since I have been in pain for 13 months now. Some days feel like i am being stabbed on my right lower side and I can barely move. Pain goes down my right leg and back. Want to be normal again. I am taking percocet now and it doesn't always help.
Also, the docs said they suspect I may have endo. because pain did not go away with depo shots. I need help with questions that I should be asking doctors. I go for pre-op visit on the 31st and would like some advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 08:10 PM

Hi Mew68,

Welcome! You have lots of concerns and I'm sure that soon many of the sisters will help you out. I'll do my best too!

I had no heavy bleeding with my 5 month + others fibroids - but they were painful on the bladder and pressed on the sciatic nerve!

I have a dear friend who is a very big gal who had this surgery TAH/BSO and was the poster girl for speedy recovery - so hopefully that eases your mind - remember that everyone heals very differently. I'm not quite so heavy and it took me a little longer for things to heal - go figure!!

You won't have your period after your surgery as no uterus = no periods. Ladies that keep their ovaries may still get PMS - and some that have their ovaries either get immediate hot flashes, etc. - or nothing at all, like my friend - she was a lucky one - 2 years now and no bad menopausal issues!!

Biopsies on fibroids are rare - Drs are more likely to be watching endometrial lining and ovaries, so nothing to worry about not having one for these benign tumours.

Hope I eased your mind a bit - I have no doubt you'll hear from others.

All the best to you.

Tracy
Unread 01-25-2008, 08:10 PM

Mew68,

I was in your same shoes only a short while ago. Wow, once you have the TAH times flies by so fast! I'm 9 wks post-op. I had fibroids although they were small 2cm. I am overweight (around 245) and I can tell you it didn't play a huge part in my recovery at all. My incision is under a fat roll which actually helped to protect it bunches. I did have trouble getting in and out of bed til around Day 7. And ha, I haven't even SEEN my incison, but that's fine, I hate things like that.

This is a looooong healing process. You will feel like walking a marathon one day and the next day feel like crap. Makes no sense. And your belly will swell and more so by the end of the day. And your belly will be numb from your belly button down too. Take a nap every day! And no more periods after this. Yahooo! I kept my ovaries so I still have some bloating, constipation and irritability during that time of the month. At least the bleeding and cramping are gone forever. But no, I honestly don't think my being overweight has been a factor in my healing process at all. And I was concerned about this as you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 08:27 PM
thanks

thanks for the comments so far. feel much better already. well, i will keep looking on this site..........its awesome to have such support. don't know anyone personally that can help. and as the time approaches i get more nervous about it.
thanks again
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:34 PM

Hi Mew68:

Although I have not a TAH I have had three myomectomies to remove my fibroids. I am what you call a fibroid breeder. "You take them out and they just come back again". I have had 3 abdominal incicions and am also overweight. I don't think weight has any bearing on recovery. I also had grapefruit size fibroids removed and I do believe they did check to make sure they were cancerous even though most fibroids are not.

Yes this did take away the pain each time. I am now scheduled for a LAVH hysterectomy in March. Even though I have fibroids again my doctor as assured me she can get them out via laproscopy. I guess my question to you is if yours is not very big have you sought out a second opinion to see why they cannot do this via laproscope? I know most doctor can't do it but alot of them can if they are experienced.

Recovery is different for everyone. After my first myo it was a good year before I felt like myself again. After the 2nd one a new doctor did a much smaller incision and I recovered quickly. I was back to work after 4 weeks. After the 3rd one I was back to work part time after 3 weeks. Just think positively and rest alot.

Robyn
Unread 01-25-2008, 11:09 PM

hi Robyn
thanks for the info. well, my doctor told me that since i have extra weight in the belly area, and i already have a c-section incision, it was best to do it this way. she said the way they lay you on the table for laproscope puts extra stress on diaphram and may hinder anesthesia. dunno? they also haven't measured the fibroid since sept. they gave me the depo to supposedly shrink it but sometimes i lay on my stomach and feel as if i feel it. i don't know if i actually can but that is how painful it feels sometimes. she (the doc) wanted to continue trying the shots but i wasn't getting the relief they said i should have. shot that was suppose to last 3 months only lasted a month as far as surpressing pain. i have seen 3 different doctors and have gotten 3 different opinions but its been a long year and i am ready to move on with my life.,,,,,,so hysterectomy is my answer. i have prayed about it and know its what i need to do. now, the doctor talked about leaving my ovaries but if i do have endo, i thought they would take them too??? guess i will find out more at my pre-op. She did say they would have to see once they get in there what they are dealing with.
thanks for the advise and encouragement. i appreciate it
Unread 01-26-2008, 01:02 AM

Hi, I had fibroids with the heavy bleeding. I am also overweight. My recovery took longer but not bec of being overweight. I have been dealing with right leg pain and just wanted to let you know that my drs did not think the leg pain had anything to do with the fibroids and they were right bec I still have the leg pain so hope it is different for you.

I had an SAH and kept my ovaries and cervix. I have never had a bad pap smear so the dr said I could. They cauterize the cervix so that I would not get what they call mini periods and I don't. That is bec the cervix has the same material that the uterus has. I also kept my ovaries. The drs can't tell if you can keep your ovaries or not bec they can't see them until they get in there. Mine were fine so I had told my dr ahead of time that if they were fine I wanted them kept. I do still get PMS.

I never had pain with my fibroids but did end up having one actually growing outside the uterus so was glad I had done the surgery. I had had the heavy bleeding lasting almost 2 weeks every month and very anemic. They also used my c-section incision. But that was bec my dr did not do laparoscopy and after doing research still felt even though recovery time was longer that this was the best way to go. Good luck with everything. I hope this helps you.
Unread 01-26-2008, 12:02 PM

Hey there,
First off, here's some (((hugs))) for you. It's a daunting thing to be on this side of the surgery. I am 1.5 weeks postop and feel great. I too am overweight and so far it has not had any bearing on my healing. In fact, for whatever reason I keep losing weight so maybe this is an added benefit!

My fibroid was huge and causing pain and bleeding. I think each person's experience is different but I am hopeful for you that this will alleviate your pain. The doctors will know more when they get in there.

Best of luck and know that things DO get better.
Unread 01-26-2008, 12:43 PM

thanks dawn
i appreciate your comments. i am having a bad pain day today and lots to do.
i hope to lose some weight after the surgery. since i began the pain dec 06, i have gained 10lbs- 7 of them since taking the depo-provera
thanks for the encouragement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register