I'm fat and don't care (much) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm fat and don't care (much) I'm fat and don't care (much)

Unread 05-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm fat and don't care (much)

Hated the HRT. Best part is, the flashes have eased away all by themselves, just like I knew they would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2007, 01:31 AM

I always tell myself that : I'm not fat. I'm fluffy !!
Unread 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM

It's now a year since my surgery (total - they took everything). I turned 52 in May & every day I wonder where this yucky new body came from. My doctor assured me that I would not gain weight - unless I was going to any way. That so totally is not what happened. I have always worked to stay the size I wanted - & could control it with diet & exercise. Now I find that no matter what I do - I just can't back to where I was. If anyone has suggestions as to how to turn this around - please share it with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2007, 07:34 PM

See my reply to "[i]August 2006 sister and getting fat!" about neweating choices

Your attitudes are great but BE CAREFUL ABOUT TOO MUCH WEIGHT GAIN ! It can be disastrous to your body ! I have some pals & co workers that had that same attitude about their weight gains ( some had hyst,others normal menopause). Some told me to accept my new body,stop running to the gym so much & not to worry about the extra weight. Just get a new wardrobe in a larger size. NO WAY I said. Well one of them just had a knee replacement, another had BOTH knees replaced, another now has high blood pressure & cholesterol & is on meds, some have diabetes . A choir buddy who had gained a lot of weight wound up with diabetes, high blood pressure, back problems , a hip replacement & other health issues . In desperation she had gastric bypass & lost 150 lbs. No more diabetes,back is OK, normal blood pressure, other health problems gone.Has that new hip to remind her to keep on track. Me, I put on over 20, lost it & am down to last 10 -15 lbs. I have had NONE of those problems altho diabetes is on both sides of family as well as high blood pressure & some heart disease. I'll do all I can to keep it that way.My blood pressure is the same as high school: 100/60 or lower. I do yoga,Pilates, weight training,powerwalking & aerobics.

If you have your health ,you have everything !
Unread 06-02-2007, 07:38 PM

I love this thread!

I, too, have gained back the 12 pounds I lost a few years ago. Gained it all since surgery - 16 weeks ago! I'm wondering if some of it is water weight due to being on estrogen. Some of it is because I haven't gotten back into my full exercise program yet.

My clothes still fit, butnow quite as well!

Oh, well, I'm without that huge fibroid uterus, don't have to worry about getting pregnant or having periods, and am happy my pathology report came back negative.

What's not to like?

Jennifer
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Still Swollen???

Just wondering....

I weigh about the same as I did before surgery, but when I tried on a few of my pants that I wore prior to surgery they were much to tight around the belly and thighs. I am 5 weeks post-op.

Is that normal? Could I still be swollen from the surgery?

I have been wearing drawstring knit pants since my surgery and was afraid to put on anything too restricting. I had assumed the swelling was down by now. At least it looked like it had gone done.

How long does it take to get back to normal so I can fit in my pants again?
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:29 PM

You're gonna be swollen for awhile with fluid. Your body's still healing inside.
Unread 06-02-2007, 10:18 PM

I used to be heavier, and would tell pesky folks I would rather have the fat on my hips than in my head! :-D
Unread 06-03-2007, 01:15 AM

Interesting thread! Prior to my surgery on May 21 I spent the last year losing over 50 pounds thanks to proper eating and exercise. I had finally gotten down to a weight that I haven't been at in over 20 years, and I enjoyed it. A huge concern of mine was that I would regain the weight after surgery. Almost two weeks post op, I still cannot wear a pair of pants because of the swelling, and although I know it is still swelly belly time, it is still discouraging. With time I am hoping that I will be able to fit back into my regular clothes.

Food has been interesting! I was always careful with my food intake, but since surgery I have this mental thing going on that I can eat whatever I want, which I know is not the case. I need to hop back on the nutritional way of eating, particularly since some of the things I have been eating (chocolate, caffeine, sugars) are helping escalate the night sweats (reason I am awake right now at 3:00 a.m.). I'm quite sure I have gained weight, but will not weigh myself. I am not a fanatic about my weight, but don't need to be anymore discouraged about having the surgery. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about doing the right thing...getting rid of the pain I was enduring, no periods, etc.

I know that getting back to shape is daunting...I have much against me...my age, the menopause itself, lack of estrogen, and the fact I cannot start to exercise for a while more. Personally I need to shake the cobwebs out and start getting into the mindset of a healthier me...all the way around. So, back to the menus that I was used to and out with the recent two weeks of spendor and freedom of eating!

I am glad that I got rid of the health issues I was having, but don't want to trade one set of problems for another.

Kathy
Unread 06-03-2007, 06:21 AM

Kathy said:

<< I know that getting back to shape is daunting...I have much against me...my age, the menopause itself, lack of estrogen, and the fact I cannot start to exercise for a while more. >>

I'm starting to get out of fear and into a place of curiosity around how my body is changing. I suspect things are going to change, in general, as a result of instant menopause. Maybe they can change for the better? Maybe once I get back into my esercise program I'll be able to loose weight easier, now that I have some circulating estrogen and testosterone?

3 months post-surgery I said to my husband, "if one more woman tells me it takes 6 months to a year to recover from a hysterectomy, I'll scream!"

Well. One month later, and I'm settling into that idea. OK. i have this year to get it all back together. Makes me want to eat less, and exercise more - while listening to my body with more compassion.

That's today. We'll see where I am when I step on the scale on Thursday! LOL.

Jennifer

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register