Getting close to the day - again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting close to the day - again Getting close to the day - again

Unread 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Getting close to the day - again

Ok - I'm nearly there again. After several postponements, including the death of the surgeon's father 2 days before the last scheduled date, I am 4 days away. With all this time to think, I know I have imagined every possible scenario. I'm 68 and have never had major surgery, but have been bedside through numerous recoveries.
So, one crazy question - I'm having TAH & ovaries removed - about how long does the surgery last? Just wondering for my son & granddaughter who will be waiting.
Also I live next door to my other son but everyone in his household works fulltime. I will have someone around for the first 2 -3 days home but then will be on my own during the day. Please tell me I can do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMBERSCHICK
Ok - I'm nearly there again. After several postponements, including the death of the surgeon's father 2 days before the last scheduled date, I am 4 days away. With all this time to think, I know I have imagined every possible scenario. I'm 68 and have never had major surgery, but have been bedside through numerous recoveries.
So, one crazy question - I'm having TAH & ovaries removed - about how long does the surgery last? Just wondering for my son & granddaughter who will be waiting.
Also I live next door to my other son but everyone in his household works fulltime. I will have someone around for the first 2 -3 days home but then will be on my own during the day. Please tell me I can do it!
My surgery took roughly 3 hours and I had total abdominal hyst and both tubes and ovaries. My number one goal in the hospital was to be able to get in and out of bed before I went home. I had surgery on Monday and was discharged on Thurs. That one extra day in hospital made a big difference. You can sleep in recliner or bed, whichever is easier. My neice was supposed to be here to take care of me on Fri but went to lunch and mall with a friend!! Ha! I was able to make food for myself, use the restroom and had a shower seat for bathing. So...yes, it is possible. I also had my Mom's reacher to pick items up. Keep a cordless phone with you at all times in case of emergency. It is a difficult recovery but you can do it. In bed I brought both knees up while on my back and then in one continuous motion, rolled to my side, dropped feet off side while pushing myself up with my arms. It was painful but the way to do it on your own. It gets better I promise. Make sure you do some walking early on to get back on your feet sooner, even if around the living room. Best wishes to you!!
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Yes, you can do it! I had a TAH (kept ovaries). It took about 2 1/2 hours. I was encouraged to walk while still in the hospital--having the catheter removed was the payoff. Recovery has been fairly easy for me. Get yourself some TV dinners. I didn't have much help for the first week and my kids and I survived on microwaveable meals. Make sure everything heavy has been moved before you go for surgery--your recliner or chair is near the TV, for instance. You might also catch up on laundry while you can still lift the basket. As for getting out of bed, use your elbows! There's a link on this site that tells you how. Again, you can do it. Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Hi Becky, I'm having a TAH next month.
I was wondering, you said your surgery was around 3 hours...was it that long because of the endo or is that the norm you think? I ask because I've read some having TAH their time was as short as 1.5 hours, and others up to 3 hrs.

Thanks!
Ruth
Unread 07-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie08
Hi Becky, I'm having a TAH next month.
I was wondering, you said your surgery was around 3 hours...was it that long because of the endo or is that the norm you think? I ask because I've read some having TAH their time was as short as 1.5 hours, and others up to 3 hrs.

Thanks!
Ruth
I went in at 7:30 and my Mom said my hubby called her at 10:45. The endo had grown into the muscle and they also took my cervix. When they take the cervix they have to install (ha!) a vaginal cuff to rebuild the pelvic floor and put a roof on things (I guess). Maybe that was what took so long.
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMBERSCHICK
I had my TAH/BSO 17 days ago. My surgery took about 3 hours. I went in at 8:30 am and at 11:30 am the nurse came out to tell my dh that the doctor was stitching me up and would be out to talk to him soon. I was in the hospital from Tuesday and came home home on Friday. I was originally coming home on Thursday, but because my surgery was alittle more complicated than she anticiapted, she let me stay until Friday. The extra day definately made a difference. My husband was home for the weekend but had to go back to work on Monday. Which left me home with the kids. Just take it slow and rest as much as you can. It can be done being home alone just do not over due it!! Good luck on the 14th.
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks everyone. With your encouragement, I feel much better. I know I can do it. I don't have a computer at home but as sson as I can do stairs, I will go next door to my son's house & let you all know how it went.
Thanks again!!
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:06 PM

Hi Numberschick- I had some time alone after surgery- and was upstairs (same floor as bathroom, but not kitchen) Didn't come down the stairs for the first week. My hubby set up an ice-chest with water, juices and a couple snacks (fruit, crackers, etc.) stuff so I'd have something to eat when I took pills.
Good luck and take it easy!! I'll be thinking about you on the 14th!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register