3 days post hysterectomy: When to stop taking Rx pain pills? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post hysterectomy: When to stop taking Rx pain pills? 3 days post hysterectomy: When to stop taking Rx pain pills?

Unread 11-19-2015, 11:15 AM
3 days post hysterectomy: When to stop taking Rx pain pills?

I'm trying to figure out when to stop with the Percocet and start with just Ibuprophen, but I'm a total weenie and I'd rather keep taking the Rx meds as long as I can. That being said, I have to return to work on Monday so I need to be off the prescription drugs so I can drive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Re: When did you stop taking Rx pain pills?

To be honest, I never took anything more than Advil and I stopped that three days post op. I had TLVAH on 11/9.
Unread 11-19-2015, 12:35 PM

I stopped and switched to Tylenol on day 3. I still take the heavy stuff at night sometimes because I seem to sleep better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2015, 12:40 PM

I stopped on day 4 I had mine Nov. 11th Motrin seems to do the trick, but like someone else said IF i need a pain pill at night I take it sometimes I am really sore if doing too much My Dr. has me off work for 2 weeks Are you up to going back this soon?
Unread 11-19-2015, 12:58 PM

I think I took my last one on day 4. I really kind of wanted a glass of wine!
Unread 11-19-2015, 01:21 PM

I had a TAH and didn't take any percocet... Just took ibuprofen from day one. I quit taking the ibuprofen about a week ago.
Unread 11-19-2015, 04:44 PM

Please note that taking pain killer for a long period might create bad stomach issues, which could be very painful!!!
Unread 11-19-2015, 04:52 PM
3 days post hysterectomy: When to stop taking Rx pain pills?

I'm 36 days post op and just took my last norco. I had a hard time with pain due to the extent of the surgery.
My Dr gave me a rx for taking at work because ibuprofen is now making me sick. I do work in a factory, all cement floors and no sitting allowed.

Everyone's pain tolerance is different and every surgery is different. Just take care of yourself!
Unread 11-19-2015, 05:53 PM

I just wasn't that fond of the Percocet, so I stuck to ibuprofen during the day once I was discharged. But if I was sore at bedtime (happened more often that first week), I would take a Percocet at night. I wanted to sleep as comfortably as possible!

I also relied on icing more often during the day to help with the swelling and soreness (always had soreness rather than "pain" that I considered unbearable).

Everybody's different but you might surprise yourself if you try a day with just the ibuprofen.
Unread 11-20-2015, 04:42 AM

I had an open hysterectomy with bladder perf on Nov. 9. We think she hit a nerve because any time I put weight on my right foot, stabbing pain radiated downwards from my incision. It was absolutely horrible. Therefore, I took my pain meds. I was on a PCA pump for 24 hours following surgery. Then they started IV pain meds for 24 hours. Now, I have Norco and Ibuprofen 800 mg. I take the Norco prior to going to sleep at night because getting in and out of bed is really hard for me. During the day, I take Ibuprofen every 8 hours around the clock. My pain was never in my incision area so I think without the nerve issue, I would have done great managing pain with advil!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register