TLH Moany moan moan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Moany moan moan Moany moan moan

Unread 08-22-2016, 04:48 AM
Moany moan moan

So you have been warned, I am just looking to let us some steam really!

I will be 5 weeks on Wednesday - Total laproscopic, both ovaries removed. All went fine, and so far no complications, just the usual issues most ladies seem to have had in recovery.

But I have been getting so much better lately, so to feel so crappy today which is MY BIRTHDAY and just today this is really getting me down.

The pain is really nothing to speak of, but I am bloated like a whale, and constipated too (which I am addressing, but it is just a case of waiting now.

The surgical menopause symptoms hit pretty hard this past week or so (brutal hot flushes, crashing fatigue, aches, major insomnia).
I started on the lowest dose of estradot a week ago, which the doctor is going to increase in stages. Hasn't had much effect yet so clearly it is not high enough.

It's possible I overdid it a bit during Saturday, as I went out for the afternoon, then had a rest, then went out to a gig in the evening and didn't get back till about 1am. I spent yesterday resting, but expected to feel better today.

I get plenty of help at home, as my husband is with me all the time and makes sure I am ok - he has been truly amazing. But I am so sick of being like half a person, having to rely on him all of the time. I am aware now that it must be so tedious and frustrating for him too, so i am trying to pull myself out of this as it just feels like too long now.

Perhaps I am just over emotional due to hormones and lack of sleep. I don't even want to go out for my birthday lunch and 'fun day'! I can't say 'no, I feel miserable fat and want to stay at home and lie under my duvet - again...'

Feel like an old, miserable, cow, not like myself at all, so how can I expect to be fun to be with for other people - I don't even want to be with myself.

This is honestly the first time I have thought, 'was it really worth it?'

To add to the entertainment, I also pulled a muscle in my shoulder trying to do a tiny bit of light yoga to help with sciatic pains, and stretch out my piriformas muscle yesterday. If anyone has experience with pains there I would love to hear about it. I hoped that pain would go after surgery, but I think it tightened up when I had the endo, and now is still tight to protect the abdo area (guessing here -who the hell really knows!)

Ok, sorry for the lengthy rambling misery, but this is the only place I can do that without feeling guilty.

If you got this far, thanks for listening xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2016, 05:54 AM
Re: Moany moan moan

and oh dear... let me pour you a cup of coffee! Folks who haven't been-there done-that just don't have a clue, but fortunately we ALL understand here . I have to chuckle at the humor peppered in your post - it looks like something I'd write.

HRT, it takes several weeks for hormones to level out so a week of it is hardly enough time. Best thing you can do is keep a journal of your symptoms so you can share it with your doctor. For the lack of sleep, try setting up a pre-sleep routine where you turn off tech an hour beforehand, have a comforting cup of decaf tea or warm milk, curl up with a light book or fun magazine (something that doesn't draw you in), or a playlist of mellow songs. Melatonin, a natural sleep aid, might help - I prefer that to other OTC products because it doesn't leave me quite as groggy.

Bloating, oh yeah, the dreaded swelly belly . Most of us notice it during the early days of recovery. Like with any injury, fluids gather around inflammation sites, and our inflammation is <drumroll> in our abs. As we start feeling better and doing more, we'll feel it more (think of putting weight on a sprained ankle as it feels better, and how it'll swell up again), and many of us notice it in the evenings after a day of, well, daily living. Many find that breaking up activities with periods of rest and reclining help. It'll eventually go away, but there's nothing that can be done in fitness or diet to spur it along: Tummy Care - Swelly Belly.

As for the pains, my own experience confirms that our backs are compensating for our nullified abs in supporting us. Hip pains for those who've had hip issues before... maybe so. Sorry to hear about your shoulder pain - ibuprofen, heat, ice, you know the routine. I do think we lose flexibility and tone. I'm 3 months post op and still am not flexible enough to put my palms on the floor while reaching down from a stand yet in my fitness class - fingertips, yes, and sometimes fingers. Two days ago I mopped and vacuumed for the first time post-op, and oh, I felt it in my back yesterday and still today!

There is a point we turn the corner, for some it's 4 weeks, others is 6 or 8 depending on what we had done, or as you've indicated, hormones. Take a rain check on your birthday celebration for when you're feeling up to it... and rest today. Or maybe treat yourself to a pedicure at a salon - the massage chair is wonderful!

Rest well and feel better!
Unread 08-22-2016, 06:11 AM
Moany moan moan

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

I will be 5 weeks on Wednesday - Total laproscopic, both ovaries removed. All went fine, and so far no complications, just the usual issues most ladies seem to have had in recovery.

But I have been getting so much better lately, so to feel so crappy today which is MY BIRTHDAY and just today this is really getting me down.

The pain is really nothing to speak of, but I am bloated like a whale, and constipated too (which I am addressing, but it is just a case of waiting now.

The surgical menopause symptoms hit pretty hard this past week or so (brutal hot flushes, crashing fatigue, aches, major insomnia).
I started on the lowest dose of estradot a week ago, which the doctor is going to increase in stages. Hasn't had much effect yet so clearly it is not high enough.

It's possible I overdid it a bit during Saturday, as I went out for the afternoon, then had a rest, then went out to a gig in the evening and didn't get back till about 1am. I spent yesterday resting, but expected to feel better today.

I get plenty of help at home, as my husband is with me all the time and makes sure I am ok - he has been truly amazing. But I am so sick of being like half a person, having to rely on him all of the time. I am aware now that it must be so tedious and frustrating for him too, so i am trying to pull myself out of this as it just feels like too long now.

Perhaps I am just over emotional due to hormones and lack of sleep. I don't even want to go out for my birthday lunch and 'fun day'! I can't say 'no, I feel miserable fat and want to stay at home and lie under my duvet - again...'

Feel like an old, miserable, cow, not like myself at all, so how can I expect to be fun to be with for other people - I don't even want to be with myself.

This is honestly the first time I have thought, 'was it really worth it?'

To add to the entertainment, I also pulled a muscle in my shoulder trying to do a tiny bit of light yoga to help with sciatic pains, and stretch out my piriformas muscle yesterday. If anyone has experience with pains there I would love to hear about it. I hoped that pain would go after surgery, but I think it tightened up when I had the endo, and now is still tight to protect the abdo area (guessing here -who the hell really knows!)

Ok, sorry for the lengthy rambling misery, but this is the only place I can do that without feeling guilty.

If you got this far, thanks for listening xxx[/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2016, 08:31 AM

Happy Birthday!!!!!! I will be 5 weeks on Friday. I'm feeling good but I'm back to work today and the swelly belly is really bothering me. It didn't when I was home on the couch, surrounded by my dogs and cats and a husband that doesn't notice any of my flaws. Today I'm feeling it. Let yourself be down but not out! You got this. It was worth it and you'll feel better again quickly. Maybe some laughs over lunch is just the thing. Feel better and enjoy your day!!
Unread 08-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Moany moan moan

Good afternoon, winzip! If you ever need to let off a little steam, this is definitely the place to do it; we've all been there, and we definitely understand how you're feeling! As for the bloating, that usually goes hand-in-hand with constipation, so getting your bowels moving will help. Be sure you're taking regular walks, and try peppermint tea, which can both help. Also try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. Try making a smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spiach, and ground flaxseeds; that's what ultimately worked for me. I would also recommend avoiding common bloat triggers until things return to normal; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Also, the surgical antibiotics can upset the normal balance of bacteria inside your intestinal tract; tsking a probiotic supplement, or adding yogurt or kefir to your smoothie, can help to restore it. As for your menopausal symptoms, if you have no issues with eating soy, then try adding soy milk to your smoothie, or a little tofu or edamame to your meals; fermented soy products, like tempeh, miso, or natto, are also excellent sources of probiotics. For a better night's sleep, keep your bedroom around 60-65 degrees, choose loose fitting cotton nightclothes, and arrange your bedding in layers, that can be added or removed as necessary. Taking your walks outdoors will help to normalize your sleep cycles; I would also recommend a 6 hour caffeine curfew, and a 1 hour electronics curfew; they're both stimulants that can disrupt your sleep. I hope you start to feel better soon!
Unread 08-22-2016, 01:10 PM

thank you all xxxx I wrote a big long reply, but the internet dropped and it has gone and now I is tired

Just one thing though, about constipation: if you google 'Poop Button' (yes, really) and follow the instructions it actually works. Well it did for me twice! I will keep testing it, but if you're at the point where you will try anything, its worth a go!
Unread 08-22-2016, 11:19 PM

You go ahead and moan, we understand!! Take care, and keep your sense of humor! It WILL get better!!
Unread 08-23-2016, 10:29 AM

hey Baylady, and everyone else...

Thanks for your reassurance, and you were right, it does get better.

What a difference a day makes! It could be the extra bit of Oestrogen, or the extra sleep I got this morning... whatever, I feel completely different today. I have had a nice walk in the sun, got some work done on my laptop, and feel a bit tired, but emotionally much better!

I just need to make sure I don't overdo it, in case that contributed. Easier said than done

x
Unread 08-23-2016, 12:57 PM

So glad you are feeling better Winzip!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register