On Vivelle Since 2004--59--When Do I Stop? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

On Vivelle Since 2004--59--When Do I Stop? On Vivelle Since 2004--59--When Do I Stop?

Unread 02-06-2012, 03:04 PM
On Vivelle Since 2004--59--When Do I Stop?

I'm trying REAL hard to cut down on my prescription medications due to cost (don't ask). I just turned 59, had ovaries and uterus out in 2004 (kept cervix for support of internal organs). I take prednisone for rheumatoid arthritis--but my bone density scans that I have yearly have always been fine. I use the Vivelle Dot off label as it is--only change once a week instead of twice a week. I guess I'm looking for someone(s) to tell me it wouldn't be a problem just stopping the whole HRT thing at my age (59). I suppose I could ask my doc and get a script for Premarin (generic--much less expensive). Has anyone else just stopped HRT? What were your experiences? Thanks so much--
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Re: On Vivelle Since 2004--59--When Do I Stop?

I'm 53 and have been on estrogen replacement for almost 25 years now. I decided that I'd try on my own to stop. My anxiety went through the roof, skin and vaginal tissue a dried out mess, could NOT sleep (2-3 hrs tops), I was massively depressed, and I had no interest in anything or anyone in my life. It wasn't worth it to me. I had this same experience when I slowly weaned down AND when one of my recent Dr.s decided I should give it a shot cold turkey. I honestly hope I'm never forced to stop. It's my intention to stay with at least a small dose for as long as it offers me mental and physical benefits.

If you're interested in another inexpensive alternative, there's a generic for Estrace (bioidentical form of estradiol) which you also take orally. It would probably run anywhere from $4 -$10 depending on the pharmacy.
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Re: On Vivelle Since 2004--59--When Do I Stop?

Susan

I just wanted to say that there will be a big difference b/t vivelle and premarin, and there will also be a big difference between oral delivery and patch.

I don't see a problem with you being on it as far as age, but if it's $$ you could always try cutting your patches in half and slowly wean down and/or try black cohosh instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register