Diabetes and Hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diabetes and Hysterectomy Diabetes and Hysterectomy

Unread 07-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Diabetes and Hysterectomy

Hi Sisters!
I am wondering if any sisters out there with diabetes who have had LAVH/BSO. I am scheduled to go in on July 9th. When I had my pre-op visit with my gynecologist yesterday (7/1), she told me I needed to get medical clearance from my cardiologist and my primary care physician. I then was sent to the hospital for pre-op. I called the offices and was able to get appointments for today (7/2) . Went to the cardiologist-cleared, no problem. THEN, I went to my primary care physician and she's reluctant to clear me because my glucose levels had previously been rather high and I had had 2 yeast infections :-( . As she looked at my log, she said the levels looked alot better, (they've been within the normal range with a coupla highs and lows), but there were still some room for improvement. I have to log my levels for the weekend and take them back to her Tuesday. After which she said she would probably write my gynecologist a consult letter saying she thinks surgery should be postponed, but the decision whether or not to proceed with the surgery would then be up to my gynecologist. I felt so down and deflated, I just want to cry . I've been making arrangements and preparations, and my mind was in the right headspace and now she's telling me this! I'm gonna continue to work hard on keeping control of my glucose levels not jusr for the surgery, but for my health.
My question is: If there are sisters out there who've had the same kind of surgery (or the one with the bikini cut) that I'm scheduled for and you have diabetes, please share your story with me and also share adveice/suggestions on how your glucose levels were before, during, and after surgery? How long was your recovery time?
Thanks in advance!

musicluva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Re: Diabetes and Hysterectomy

Do you have type 1 or 2 Diabetes and how is it being managed? Just curious. Are that looking at your finger stick sugar levels or are they looking at your A1c levels? Your A1c will give a more well rounded picture of your levels ( the average of about 3 months) the daily testing that you do just gives a snapshot of your level at that moment. Those numbers can be high if you ate and then sat and watched TV and much lower if you ate the same thing and then cleaned the house. I may be stating things that you are totally aware of, if they are I am sorry. Do you see an Endocrinologist? When I started seeing the endocrinologist they got me in much better control than my GP. I have to get clearance from my GP and Endocrinologist before my surgery.
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:38 PM

I have type 2 diabetes and just had an LAVH-BSO. My doctor did not say anything about getting clearance from my other doctors. They tested my blood at pre - op and did an EKG. We did discuss the risks involved but I would consider my diabetes mild, so perhaps that is the difference. I checked my levels often in the weeks leading up to surgery and made sure they were good to be in the best shape possible. They were very careful once I arrived and checked my levels constantly, even during surgery. Once done, they continued to come in and check every few hours. I had to have insulin only once when it creeped above the allowed levels. I was concerned that i might heal more slowly but, I have done great. I hope you do well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks HysterSisters! I'm feeling much better about my surgery. It was postponed and I haven't been given another date yet. I have Type 2 Diabetes and my levels were om both the AC1 and finger sticks. I haven't been to an Endocrinologist. I've been very careful to try to keep my levels within the normal range, and I've made some big strides in taking control of my diabetes. I do want the best healing environment possible. I'm glad that I found this site.
Unread 07-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Hello. i am just getting the hang of this. was glad to see diabetes and hysterctomy. i am scheduled for a TLH on wed. i am on an insulin pump. yes, lately my numbers have been high. i am trying my best. my medical clearance isnt till monday at 6:30 so i am getting a little nervous. i already had hospital preop. thanks and good luck to all of us!
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:34 PM

HI Sisters! Well, I finally got my glucose levels stable enough for my medical Dr. to release me! YAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! i am now scheduled for surgery on Sept. 24th, so the countdown is on! I guess I don't have to tell you that nerves are starting to kick in a little bit, and surgery is about all I can think about night and day. I don't think its as bad since I've been reading everything I can on this site. I'm sooooo thankful for Hystersisters!!!
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:23 PM

That's great news (((Musicluva)))! Thank you so much for letting us know!

I hope everything goes very smoothly for you!

Deb
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:21 AM

Glad you have your date. I am Type 2 and had a TAH Aug 2. So far healng very fast and no complications. Levels stayed pretty good. BG was just above the 150 cut off mark (155 and 152) my GYN had set the first day after surgery so had to shots of insulin. Since then my levels have stayed good. Hope you have a non complicated surgery and recovery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register