Bowel Prep? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Bowel Prep?

Hello all, I'm new here, my surgery is scheduled for Jan. 26th so I'm just looking around here for advice. I have seen where some people have to do a bowel prep and some don't. For the people that have, what did you take? I have to start drinking Miralax mixed with clear gatorade the afternoon before my surgery, then after that is gone after a specific time I have to drink something else that starts with a 'b', I can't remember right now and I don't have the sheet with me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done a prep like this one and if so how your experience was. I've never done one before so I'm a little nervous. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Re: Bowel Prep?

Biascodyl?

When I had my colonoscopy I had to take Biscodyl (ducolax) and drink Miralax. It wasn't as bad as some other things I've had to do. If you're like me it was still working for a long time. I started it around 2 in the afternoon and had to stop on the way to the Dr. a couple of times to go to the bathroom. The taste isn't horrible and it didn't cause too bad of cramping.
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think that is it, I'm going to double check the sheet they gave me. Glad to know it is not to horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2011, 07:55 PM

I did a bowel prep. They wanted me to take magnesium citrate. The taste was not good, but not horrible either.

It was not as bad as I imagined. Just be near a bathroom. Good luck.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:37 PM

I also had to do a bowel prep the day before it was magnesium citrate lemon flavoured (lol) and ducolax. Within one hour the citrate worked but two hours later I had to take 4 ducolax (I am sure it was 4) as well as only clear liquids all day or I could drink lactose free boost. I didnt really have any cramping but did get the urge to go and it cleared me out so definitely be close to a bathroom
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:24 PM

I had to do a bowel prep too. I drank the lemon Mag Citrate (I kind of liked the taste!) the day before starting at 4pm and had to do a Fleet's Enema the morning of (my surgery wasn't until 12:30pm). It isn't that bad and my GYN told me it would help diminish gas pains after surgery. Good luck!
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM

I am having my surgery tomorrow, and I had to drink two while clear liquid bottles for the bowel prep. I recommend you get wet wipes. You will have to go to the bathroom alot, and it doesn't feel that great after the 10th time you have to go!
Unread 12-22-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the responses I looked and it says to take 8.3 ounces of Miralax and mix it with 64 oz of clear gatorade. I have to start drinking that at 2 and then at 4 I need to take 4 Biascodyl. I'm glad that I'm taking off from work at 1pm that day, didn't really want to be going through that while I'm there and then trying to drive home after I'm sure it's kicked in.
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:28 AM

I was instructed to drink 2 bottles of magnesium citrate. But now I just remembered I bought the cherry flavor. And my instructions say no red dye. Oh boy. Do I want to make a trip to the store or drink the red and then water all day to pass what red dye might be in the MC.
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:35 AM

I had a light breakfast day before surgery, clear liquids rest of day (8 oz every hour). At 4PM I had to take 4 Dulcolax tablets and then at 6PM I had to drink the entire bottle of Miralax (can't remember oz) mixed with 64 oz lemon lime Gatorade within 3 hours. It wasn't horrible. I actually didn't start having to go much until about 10PM.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register