Scary Pre-OP | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-31-2002, 07:29 AM
Scary Pre-OP

Went to pre-op yesterday- I am supposed to have a TVH (unless something is wrong, then TAH) with no Ovaries removed. The Pre-admission ladies at the hospital told me I was scheduled for a TAH with BSO. I cringed and said that was wrong. After all this time of being calm and collected, I finally freaked!

She called the Dr's office and they said after the admission's appt to come up and talk. (He is in the same Hospital building) Anyway, I get up there, the Dr's nurse tries to get me to sign a consent to surgery form - Nov 20th and a TAH. This would be fine except my surgery is scheduled for Nov 1st, and I had problems with what they were trying to do a TAH w/ BSO vs. a TVH w/o BSO.

At this point I am really freaked out! My Dr comes in and we talk- he realizes the problem was the nurse hadn't deleted my old surgery date out of the system- my Nov 1st one was still there as well. She pulled up the wrong one. They got that straightened out. Then we got the actual surgical proceedure straightened out. I had taken the list of questions off the pull down board and printed them out to ask my Dr. He went right down the list and answered every last one of them. He wasn't annoye done little bit that I had a million questions and objections mixed with mass fear!

What a relief that was- I kept having this thought that I would wake up with a TAH and early permanent menopause all because the orders were messed up! I have extreme faith in my DR. He is awesome. His nurses on the other hand- well at least none of them will be in the OR!

My advice to all the LIW - Speak up, if something doesn't feel right or something is not the way it was planned- Stop them and tell them. I am glad I did, and everything will be done right- or at least the way it was planned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 07:37 AM
Scary Pre-OP

How awful for you to be put in that stressfull situation just before your surgery! I think I would have just started crying followed by exterme anger. I am so glad your doc was patient and took his time with you to help calm your fears and answer your questions I applaud him.

I hope the rest of your journey to being a princess is smooth sailing!

Angel
Unread 10-31-2002, 08:00 AM
Scary Pre-OP

Phew!! Glad you got that all straightened out....would have freaked me out too. :hair:...Asked my DR about the possibility of my TVH turning into a TAH....she said there is always a chance of finding something she didn't know was there or if something goes wrong...God forbid....But she said they will just put me all the way under and take my legs out of the stirrups and go in abdominally.....Of course I won't know til I wake up....Told to do whatever she needs to do....At this point there is no turning back...Will not go on living on the Pill to not have periods and do not want to go back to the floodings of the past.....
Let us all pray it goes like the doctors plan.....
Take care ,

lilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2002, 10:35 AM
Scary Pre-OP

Hi ladies! dmhavener, I'm sorry you had such a scary experience, and you're right that it's important to make sure the paperwork at the castle is correct. Don't be surprised if this issue comes up again when you are admitted for the surgery. At many hospitals (mine is one of those) you are required to write in your own handwriting what surgery you are having, plus sign another consent form, before you are hooked up to the IV. The reason is mostly to make absolutely sure you understand what the surgery is, and that they have the right surgery associated with the right patient while you are still conscious! So it's a good thing.

I just wanted to clarify one thing... this isn't intended to scare you, I just don't want you to be totally shocked and unprepared if this happens. I understand you are keeping your ovaries if at all possible. Great! However, you may find that even if you keep them, they may go into shock after the surgery and refuse to work for a while (days, weeks, months, it varies and it doesn't always happen). So, you may start having symptoms of surgical menopause even WITH keeping your ovaries. You might want to ask your DR in advance about this, so you've had a chance to have a discussion about what you will do if this happens. If you can use HRT, you can be given something temporarily until your ovaries start working again. And also if it happens, please come visit us over in the Hormone Jungle forum... there are lots of ladies over there in exactly that situation! And there is comfort in being with others in the same boat.

One more thing... you may be asked to sign a consent form for a BSO even though you are not planning to have one. If it happens, this is so that if they find something during the TVH, your DR doesn't have to wake you up and get you to sign another form before removing an ovary/both ovaries. You can always note on the consent form "only if medically necessary" next to the BSO part... talk with your DR about this if it worries you.

Now I hope I haven't totally freaked anyone out... we just like to make sure you don't have any nasty surprises when you get to the castle. Best wishes to all of you for a successful surgery, and I'll look for you over in Post Op after!
s,
-Linda
Unread 10-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Scary Pre-OP

I have a copy of the signed consent form and it has the date and type of surgery to be preformed- TVH no BSO, possible TAH no BSO. I was told to bring it to the hospital the day of the surgery. It has the Dr's Signature and everything. Made me feel 200% better just having it.

There is always the possiblity that the TVH will turn into a TAH, but at least now I know deep down inside that the TVH will be tried first.

Thanks for the support and good luck to those about to have surgery!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register