Stop taking anti-inflammatories before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stop taking anti-inflammatories before surgery? Stop taking anti-inflammatories before surgery?

Unread 01-12-2001, 12:15 AM
Stop taking anti-inflammatories before surgery?

My TAH/BSO is now finally scheduled for 2/7/01. I have a question about whether you should stop taking anti-inflammatories before surgery. A coworker of my DH is also having a hysterectomy on 1/16/01. She was taking Vioxx (an anti-inflammatory) for arthritis, but she was told that she had to stop taking her anti-inflammatory medication 2 wks before her surgery. This is apparently because that type of medication could cause more bleeding - something about it interfering with the blood platelets. I also take an anti-inflammatory (Indocin) for epicondylitis (tennis elbow). I am self-employed at home as a medical transcriptionist, which is what caused my epicondylitis. However, I have not been told that I have to stop taking my anti-inflammatory medication - at least not yet. Has anyone else who takes anti-inflammatories been told they have to stop or had to stop taking their anti-inflammatory medications before their surgery??

Thanks for your input. Just wondering.

Sherry L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2001, 12:38 AM

I was told not to take Aleve (naproxin sodium) for 10 days before (also aspirin and some other stuff I didn't pay attention to). Apparently their blood-thinning properties can make it more difficult to control bleeding during surgery. Ask your doctor for specifics.
Unread 01-12-2001, 07:12 AM

Dear Sherry, I have my TAH/BSO scheduled for Jan. 18. I took a new anti-inflammatory called Mobic for 2 months for tendon pain in my wrists. Last pill was on Jan. 6. Told the doctor about it at my pre-op on Jan. 5. He didn't say anything. Have stopped taking Vitamin E as I know that thins your blood. My doctor said they would be giving me heparin just before surgery to prevent blood clots. Don't know if they do this for everyone or just because of my age. I'm 56. I guess the best thing would be to call the doctor's office. Maybe it's just some anti-inflammatories that thin the blood, but off to ask. Good luck. Dorothea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2001, 07:34 AM

Please check with your doctor regarding your medication. My surgery is 1/16 and I was told no aspirin or ibuprofen from January 2 on. The doctor also asked if I had taken any steriods within a certain time period. I had a Kenilog (sp?) shot for my allegies last Spring but she said that was long enough ago to have no impact. We also discussed my vitamins: the doctor mentioned 2 specific herbs that I was absolutely NOT to take before surgery (sorry-they were names I didn't recognize so I promptly forgot them). Its very important to make your doctor aware of all prescription and OTC drugs you are taking.
Carol
Unread 01-12-2001, 08:43 AM
pill-free

I was on Naproxen, a good sized dose, and was told no anti-inflammatories, no aspirin, no ibuprofen, no vitamin or herbal suppliments, no fish oil, iron, etc. I was asked to be clear by two weeks before surgery, as it can interfere with blood clotting, etc. (Bad enough I'm anemic)
Doctors are different, so I'd ask yours.
Right now, I'm trying to keep from getting a cold, 'cause you can't take anything!! Best of luck!
Unread 01-12-2001, 08:45 AM

Sherry - Yes, I was told to stop anti-inflammatory meds 10 days prior to surgery..for the very reason you listed. I was on them for both elbows...same as you...don't play tennis either Just a note on that...I found a wonderful physcial therapist...that worked wonders on my elbows. She had me dip them in warm wax...then after it cooled...she did a wonderful muscle massage...then direct ice. I did direct ice on them every night after dh rubbed them...for about 5 weeks. After a few visits she also started these little electrode injections of an anti-inflammatory into the elbow area...that had to be stopped 10 days before also...but I went right up to surgery date with therapy. Guess that, coupled with laying around for 6 weeks...helped...haven't had near the pain I used to.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register