12 weeks post hysterectomy: Mrsa! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 weeks post hysterectomy: Mrsa! 12 weeks post hysterectomy: Mrsa!

Unread 09-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Re: 12 weeks post hysterectomy: Mrsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn1971 View Post
My pre op test was merely a blood test and a questionairre. I'm not sure if they can dedect MRSA in blood? The fact that your hospital did those tests shows diligence! Perhaps they've had issues with MRSA and are working hard to make sure it doesn't happen again (just an uneducated guess on my part)
As far as I know, there's no blood test for MRSA or VRE. I also had to have a couple of blood and urine samples taken as part of my pre-op, so I think if there *were* a blood test for these bacteria, it would have been handled then instead of sending me to a different department to do the swabs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2014, 01:27 PM

I have been unlucky enough to have had 2 MRSA infections. I was working in a hospital the first time I came down with the infection. The way it was explained to me, the bacteria is all over the hospital and you can catch it by simply touching a door knob with a hand that has a paper cut. I was on 3 different antibiotics over a month's period and the infection did not respond and required surgery to remove it. I was more fortunate the second time and the infection responded to the antibiotic. I was tested prior to surgery and I am not a carrier. My current doctor says that once you have the infection it stays dormant in your body (like herpes). If you are lucky, it may never re-occur, but if you are not fortunate you may get other outbreaks.

I was super careful in the hospital. My bare feet never touched the hospital floor. I took minimal stuff to the hospital and sterilized everything with antibacterial wipes (like cell phones and our shoes) when we came home. My DH and I even took the clothing worn in the hospital off in the garage before entering our home and immediately placed them in the washing machine. We really were very cautious. MRSA is one nasty bacteria!
Unread 09-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Forgot to add that I didn't even use the hospital shower, but I did shower as soon as I got home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2014, 06:09 AM
12 weeks post hysterectomy: Mrsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
As far as I know, there's no blood test for MRSA or VRE. I also had to have a couple of blood and urine samples taken as part of my pre-op, so I think if there *were* a blood test for these bacteria, it would have been handled then instead of sending me to a different department to do the swabs.
I had a nasal swab done both times. Blood cultures were never successful at diagnosing me with MRSA.
Unread 09-12-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgocala View Post
Forgot to add that I didn't even use the hospital shower, but I did shower as soon as I got home.
The hospital stay I did the same exact thing. I did not return home with any items I had there with the exception of a jacket which I placed in a garment bag. When I showered I wiped the entire shower down with Clorox bleach wipes and wore socks. Clorox wipes are not allowed in patient rooms but I did not care.
If you go to the Center for Disease Control website and look under the guidelines for the hospitals you will get the REAL explanation of where the bacteria originates and see the campaign to eliminate it. Healthcare providers want you to believe it's just a natural occurrence in the hospital. Don't fall for it. They told me the same foolishness.
Unread 09-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia2182 View Post
The hospital stay I did the same exact thing. I did not return home with any items I had there with the exception of a jacket which I placed in a garment bag. When I showered I wiped the entire shower down with Clorox bleach wipes and wore socks. Clorox wipes are not allowed in patient rooms but I did not care.
If you go to the Center for Disease Control website and look under the guidelines for the hospitals you will get the REAL explanation of where the bacteria originates and see the campaign to eliminate it. Healthcare providers want you to believe it's just a natural occurrence in the hospital. Don't fall for it. They told me the same foolishness.
I figured after 2 infections I wasn't taking any chances. My DH and I looked like a hazmat team taking our clothing off in the garage! LOL
Unread 09-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgocala View Post
I figured after 2 infections I wasn't taking any chances. My DH and I looked like a hazmat team taking our clothing off in the garage! LOL
That is hilarious. Better safe than sorry.
Unread 09-12-2014, 06:36 PM

clorox wipes - when we use to sell dips and spices at Christmas show, flea markets, etc. we were told by the health departments that clorox wipes were unacceptable to cleaning hands and surfaces. They basically are worthless according to them. Had to have water with bleach in it at a certain mixture. The amount of clorox in the wipes is not enough to really kill bad bacteria according to them.
Unread 09-13-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteel View Post
clorox wipes - when we use to sell dips and spices at Christmas show, flea markets, etc. we were told by the health departments that clorox wipes were unacceptable to cleaning hands and surfaces. They basically are worthless according to them. Had to have water with bleach in it at a certain mixture. The amount of clorox in the wipes is not enough to really kill bad bacteria according to them.
Really? Wow. So many things are misleading.
Unread 09-13-2014, 02:18 AM

HysterSisters does have a short article which you might find helpful: MRSA Infection after Hysterectomy. MRSA is not restricted to being contracted in medical facilities as there is both health-care associated MRSA (HA-MRSA) and community-associated MRSA (CA-MRSA). The HA-MRSA can be more severe. To see if you are a carrier of MRSA, a nose swab or skin culture can be done. Pus from a wound, a skin sample, or material from blood, urine, or a biopsy can be sent to a lab to be cultured to check for MRSA as well.

I know first hand that MRSA can be miserable and dangerous as my family has been dealing with it over the last year. As MRSA can reoccur (and it has several times for my DH), it is important to watch for signs which could indicate a new outbreak so that you can treat it quickly.

in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register