Rushed to emergency room for vaginal cuff repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rushed to emergency room for vaginal cuff repair Rushed to emergency room for vaginal cuff repair

Unread 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM
Rushed to emergency room for vaginal cuff repair

On Saturday January 17, 2016 I had to rush to the emergency room because they had to do a vaginal cuff repair. I had a total hysterectomy November 2, 2015. I dont understand how this happened. I thought I was healed already. Anybody else experience this? How long will I recover from that? It was so painful and scary. My anxiety and depression is really bad now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2016, 03:38 PM

Oh my gosh! That is so scary. Had you already had your post-op appt and you dr said you were healed? Do they know what made it tear?
Unread 01-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Re: Rushed to emergency room for vaginal cuff repair

My hysterectomy was 12/9/15 & on the morning of 12/21/15 I began hemorrhaging. My dr said that the stitches holding vaginal cuff had come "undone". There was no sign of trauma or ripping/tearing...they just came loose. The dr said he doesn't know what caused it other than maybe a weak vaginal wall. It was horribly painful & I lost so much blood that I had to have a blood transfusion. The dr said my recovery time didn't change & I am actually supposed to go back to work 1/21/16. I don't feel ready at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM

I feel your pain. What did they do to repair it?
I am 4 weeks post op from a laparoscopic hysterectomy. They took it all but my ovaries. For the first 2 weeks I was fine and suddenly I began to bleed. The first time it was like a heavy period. The second time, it was gushing like a faucet. The third time was 2 days later, gushing to a point where I filled 3oz of a measuring cup and even after the doctor used Monsels to make it stop (apparently there is a slight separation at the vaginal cuff). I have been to the ER twice and each time they say everything is fine, even after I explain the size of the clots I'm passing and the amount of blood gushing out. I'm at a point now where I'm wondering if I need a second opinion. Did you go through something similar?
Unread 01-19-2016, 05:02 PM

I saw my doctor 2 weeks after my hysterectomy and he said I should be good in 6 weeks. Never gave me a second follow up appointment. Friday night I was feeling some cramping and noticed my belly was alil swollen and hard. Saturday morning I woke up in excruciating pain( worse than labor pain) so I called the answering service because the surgeons office was closed, left several messages, he finally called me back around 2pm and I explained to him what I was feeling so he told me to go to the er asap. I also had a clear watery discharge with no odor. They did a ct scan an noticed alot of fluid also a cyst on my left ovary but when they did a pelvic exam he saw that my cuff was open and he can see my intestine popping through the open area. So he took me into the OR right away and stitched me up vaginally. Im terrified cause I dont know how it happened. Its been over 2 months since my hysterectomy. I went black to my normal routine. Cleaning, rearranging furniture. Nothing major. Now Im scared to sneeze cause Im afraid its gona happen again. Yous are all in my prayers and may god bless yous all. This is a really hard life change. Am I ever gona be normal again? I was expecting to have benefited from having a hysterectomy but now I'm kind of regretting it.
Unread 01-19-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffchick View Post
I feel your pain. What did they do to repair it?
I am 4 weeks post op from a laparoscopic hysterectomy. They took it all but my ovaries. For the first 2 weeks I was fine and suddenly I began to bleed. The first time it was like a heavy period. The second time, it was gushing like a faucet. The third time was 2 days later, gushing to a point where I filled 3oz of a measuring cup and even after the doctor used Monsels to make it stop (apparently there is a slight separation at the vaginal cuff). I have been to the ER twice and each time they say everything is fine, even after I explain the size of the clots I'm passing and the amount of blood gushing out. I'm at a point now where I'm wondering if I need a second opinion. Did you go through something similar?
I never got a period after my hysterectomy and I still have my ovaries, but if you're bleeding like that You should most definitely get a second opinion. They have to seal that seperation. That sounds very dangerous to me. Good luck and I hope you can find a good doctor that will take care of that immediately. God bless
Unread 01-19-2016, 06:33 PM

I had to have emergency surgery for my vaginal cuff opening after my upper vaginectomy. I also started to hemorrhage so severely and suddenly I collapsed just as the paramedics arrived. Mine happened 2 weeks after my surgery. They discovered in the emergency repair that I had an infection that had eroded the site including 2 stitches. I'd had no outward signs of infection.

I completely understand how traumatic this event is. I certainly was traumatized. Bad enough that I was also grappling with cancer.

I'm a little surprised your Dr said your recovery time frame wouldn't change. Mine definitely had a set back and took longer. But I do think it could also be because it's a lot more to process emotionally. It's a truly life threatening complication.

Anyway Sisters, mine was just over 2 years ago and I do want to tell you all that you will recover. You will feel like yourself again. The body has a remarkable capacity to heal. Just take very good care of yourselves. Be compassionate, gentle and patient with yourselves and you will get there!

Wishing you continued healing...
Unread 01-19-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekers View Post
I had to have emergency surgery for my vaginal cuff opening after my upper vaginectomy. I also started to hemorrhage so severely and suddenly I collapsed just as the paramedics arrived. Mine happened 2 weeks after my surgery. They discovered in the emergency repair that I had an infection that had eroded the site including 2 stitches. I'd had no outward signs of infection.

I completely understand how traumatic this event is. I certainly was traumatized. Bad enough that I was also grappling with cancer.

I'm a little surprised your Dr said your recovery time frame wouldn't change. Mine definitely had a set back and took longer. But I do think it could also be because it's a lot more to process emotionally. It's a truly life threatening complication.

Anyway Sisters, mine was just over 2 years ago and I do want to tell you all that you will recover. You will feel like yourself again. The body has a remarkable capacity to heal. Just take very good care of yourselves. Be compassionate, gentle and patient with yourselves and you will get there!

Wishing you continued healing...
My doctor told my husband that If I had not gotten to the hospital so quickly, I could have bled to death. I am going to speak with him tomorrow about extending my leave by 2 weeks. Since we don't know what caused the stitches to fall out, I don't want to risk it happening again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register