Blood Draw IV Phobia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Draw IV Phobia Blood Draw IV Phobia

Unread 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Blood Draw IV Phobia

I have 'needle phobia'. I have been stuck so many times in one go without a drop of blood. I am afraid to drink afterwards, in case I 'leak'. Seriously, I have had 12 pokes at one time. I have the best of the best nurse in tears at times. When I go to the lab, the girls 'draw straws' to see who gets to 'do the bloodwork'. DOES anyone have any thoughts on how to make a blood draw easier for me? MY veins literally collapse when they see the needle coming. ONE DR wanted to do the blood draw from the groin (this is after a 6 'stick' failure), I calmly looked him in the eye and said 'go stick your own crotch, cause you aint touching mine!!!!! LOL My one hand is so scarred from sticks, I have been told NOT to allow anyone try to draw from there. I am seriously freaking out and actually get nauseated thinking of it. This concerns me, as I am afraid my surgery could get postphoned. AND dont even get me started on IV Stick. Failure after Failure in that department too. AND arms that are black and blue from the wrist to the shoulder. AM I A UNIQUE case, or are the other sufferers out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Re: Blood Draw IV Phobia

The only thing I can think of is to make sure you drink tons of water before your cut off time. If you are dehydrated, you will be a harder stick.
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM

I announce LOUDLY I have no veins!! They wanted to try my foot one time and I said NO....I had brain surgery and they put the IV in my neck. Good thing I was out of it because I would have been sick!!! I give them 2 chances and no chances at progging around. After that I tell them nope we are done!! Good luck. I wish I could be of more help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2011, 06:35 PM

I know a few tricks. Maybe you already know them. Be VERY hydrated, that can be hard if you need a bowel prep, but it helps to not be dehydrated and dry. Dress very warmly and ask them to warm pack your arm, too. Being cold just shrinks up those veins. Next, try something I have done with success. Get a real mental picture of your veins being plump and full, and do some relaxation breathing at the same time. I tried to think of my veins as wide, flowing rivers, while I pictured that and took slow deep breaths. Sounds crazy but worked for me. Do your veins look OK before they stick you? Ask before your op day about EMLA. It's used more on kids, but it's a cream applied an hour before to numb the area. If it's a pain issue that might help. I seriously suggest learning relaxation exercises to do while they try, fear and tension seem to constrict those veins right up. Make sure the anesthesiologist is alerted ahead of time. Some will get you asleep then do the IV insert. I used to be a "hard stick" but I'm better now. Good luck with your veins, and your surgery.
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:37 PM

I agree with the above, drink as much water as you can before your cut-off time; dehydrated veins are a nightmare. Maybe they've tried this already, but you can also use hot packs (or even a warmed blanket or washcloth) over the area they're trying to stick to get the vein to stand out more. If they're going for a vein in your hand or lower arm, try hanging that extremity off the side of the bed (assuming you'll be lying down) for a good few minutes or so to get as much blood in that area as possible. And don't tell them that you're a hard start -- that shoots their confidence down right away.

I know it's no fun, but please try not to take it out on the poor people who are just trying to do their jobs!! They have to get an IV in you somehow, or else they won't be able to do the surgery. Usually, the anesthetists and OR nurses are experts at starting IV's, so if possible ask for one of them to try right away.

Best wishes!!
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:40 PM

I have tiny veins that tend to roll when poked - I guess they're scared too. As mentioned previously, it's worse when I'm dehydrated, so plenty of fluids is vital. When I had mono and had to be hospitalized for IV fluids (due to dehydration and fever), it took 16 attempts to get a pediatric IV needle in me. I gave the first nurse 4 tries, after that, I asked for someone else. Her co worker got a few tries, then I asked for a supervisor - and finally ended up with three nurses and the head phlebotomist all inspecting my veins before someone thought to get a baby needle. The head Phleb got it on the first try. Remember there are options and if they don't get it after a couple of tries - request someone else. None of the nurses find any pleasure in causing you pain, and some of them are happy to let someone else try. I truly think it helps if you relax. When they do a good job, I make sure I tell them "Nice job, that didn't hurt a bit!" or "Nice, you got it on the first try!"I haven't had any problems lately, and I hope to keep it that way.
Best wishes to you! Good luck with your surgery!
Ara
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:15 PM

I agree with the others about lots of water and a warm pack. I know someone suggested a cream to numb the area, but now our local hospitals have a spray that comes in a syringe type applicator (without a needle), works instantaneously and numbs the area completely. (My daughter has had both, she is tiny and a hard stick, and the spray worked wonders for her.)

I also warn them that I have a fear of needles and IVs and I NEVER watch them do it....that will work even better if they use the spray.

Another thought....for all of my previous surgeries they haven't inserted the IV until I have been under, so maybe that could be an option for you. It doesn't hurt to ask!
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM

Besides the things already suggested as I'm one of the ones who's a hard stick, ask them to use a blood pressure cuff instead of that tiny rubber band. One of the nurses who worked on me used that trick after nothing else worked. I have since taught it to many other nurses and it works every time especially if they go with the butterfly in the hand.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register