Pre-Surgery Checklist Posted? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Surgery Checklist Posted? Pre-Surgery Checklist Posted?

Unread 08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Pre-Surgery Checklist Posted?

Hi, newbie here who hasn't explored the forum very much yet, but I was wondering if there was a posted pre-surgery checklist anywhere? If it matters, I am having abdominal hysterectomy + ovary removal (I will learn the technical names!). I also have two kids (boys) aged 8 and 11.

I just know there are so many big and little things to do beforehand - - and probably things I am not even aware of!

Just looking at the "store" link there are products there I didn't even know I would need.

So, I know this is very personal and everyone has different needs...but any checklists you have or have seen would be helpful...with things ranging from the very tactical (grocery shopping, etc...) to the very emotional or "comforting" (get pedicure, etc...) or even tips on dealing with kids.

Also, we have no family here but all of my friends are asking how they can help and I don't know how to manage that part of it!

I do have a very supportive husband who will be around full time the first two weeks so that is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Re: Pre-Surgery Checklist Posted?

Kakichi to HysterSisters! You have come to a great place!!! I would have to say the best place to get "preparation" info is in the HysterSister Hints (under Preop heading) & also in the hyster checkpoints . Those would be a great starting point. Also, there are hints listed for sisters going solo in this recovery- some great stuff there too- even though you are blessed to have your hubby with you.
Again, welcome to the sisterhood.
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Hi KakiChi to HysterSisters!

I am sorry you have to have a hysterectomy but glad you found this site!

Here is a some pre-op information.

For things you should do:
1. Get meals in the freezer that you can just pop in the microwave during recovery.
2. Super clean your house as you won't be doing that for a while after your surgery.
3. Same with yard work.
4. Buy loose fitting comfy clothes. I lived for 12 weeks post-op in sweats and old shorts. You may also want to buy underwear one size larger than your normal size. You may want to buy a belly binder. I did not use one, but some women swear by them.
5. Get a little pillow to hold against your tummy for sneezes and coughs. It also works for cat and dog visits, if you have any pets.
6. You will need help with driving, dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc for several weeks.
7. Treat yourself before your surgery to whatever you really enjoy. Maybe food, a favorite restaurant, massage, etc.

Keep in mind that you may be going through a range of intense emotions, fears, nerves, and freakouts. That is normal. This is a tough surgery to deal with. We will help and support you - and we will be by your side throughout this. So frequently post - it really does help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM

Thank you so much, very helpful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register