8 months and Very visible scar | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 months and Very visible scar 8 months and Very visible scar

Unread 09-06-2008, 11:12 AM
8 months and Very visible scar

My scar is pinkish red and buldging out. The skin around it is fine. there is a hardness in the surrounding area. Is this all normal at 8 months out. Shouldnt my scar be back into my skin and not protruding? Im just wondering if anyone else also has a unsightly scar at this stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2008, 12:02 PM

I'm 9 most post op and my scar too is still a reddish color and very visible. It isn't bulging out, but at the bottom there is still a hardness and sensitive area. I used Mederma for the first 4-5 months and finally gave up. I, thought by now it would be less noticable. Will ask the DR. next time I see him.
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Pink Scar

I would check with your doctor again. Maybe infection... If you had surgery between 1999 abd 2006 there was a recall on the panacryl or vicryl sutures. Check your operative report and it will tell you what type of sutures they used. I've had 2 surgeries to remove old sutures due to the recall. I'm not trying to upset anyone, but it is important to check if you've had a hysterectomy between 1999 and 2006.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Sounds like a keloid. Some people use Mederma to help with scarring.

I am 7 weeks out and my scar if very flat, but the area is still tender though. I think raised scars have to have treatment. I would definitely check with the doctor to see what they recommend. If your doc can't help, see a dermatologist as they are able to treat scars or atleast recommend a treatment.
Unread 09-06-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endo-One
Sounds like a keloid. Some people use Mederma to help with scarring.

I am 7 weeks out and my scar if very flat, but the area is still tender though. I think raised scars have to have treatment. I would definitely check with the doctor to see what they recommend. If your doc can't help, see a dermatologist as they are able to treat scars or atleast recommend a treatment.
yep ....thats what it is. A keloid.
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:46 AM

Thank you ladies. Im going to look up Keloid. It is raised and painful to the touch. I suppose that is not good either. Its been this way for a while.
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:57 AM

I just looked it up. It says Keloid grows beyond the boundaries of scars. I have what is called a hypertropic scar apperently. Its itchy. Here is a nice diagram I found.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/91/21...ef25ff.jpg?v=0
Unread 09-07-2008, 01:30 PM

explody - thank you for posting that link! Mine is hypertropic also! I was wondering why mine was like a rope and SO itchy!!! Especially on the left side, I am itching it constantly!

I hope it goes away in time.......

Curious though about what it says about happening more commonly in people with darker pigment. They just don't come much whiter than me - LOL!!!

Starbgirl
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:14 AM

Im dark. but not really "down there" I think its just more noticable with melanin. I put a vitamin E oil I have on it and it always seems to help with healing. Ice works also and makes it less red. ( : Oh and itching is a good sign. It brings blood to the area. It can get sore tho.

Im glad im not the only one. thanks to U Star.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register