5 wks post. Internal Stitches still here? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 wks post. Internal Stitches still here? 5 wks post. Internal Stitches still here?

Unread 12-11-2010, 07:05 AM
5 wks post. Internal Stitches still here?

Hi everyone, I'm 41 and I and 5 weeks out from complete hysterectomy. I was told I have dissolvable stitches. All of the external ones are gone, but I still have two groups of internal ones. What is the normal time frame in which they should be gone? I think I now have an infection from the stitches. I am having some discomfort and odor. UGH. Seeing surgeon again on Tuesday. I tried removing myself but I can't get to them. Should I be worried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Re: 5 wks post. Internal Stitches still here?

You'll have to check with your doc..i think it depends on the way they sutured you. I just had this conversation with my doc yesterday at my 4 week post op. He used a very strong suture..both technique and material and they will dissolve, but he said between 8-12 weeks. And my sutures are causing some discomfort (i posted a post about this a little below this), but aren't infected..(thank goodness). Anyway..check with your doctor. Oh and pls don't go after the sutures...if they are still there, they probably should still be there. If you have an infection on the cuff...it's probably not due to the sutures...it's just an infection ...that they would treat (but will probably still leave the sutures in.)
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the support. Your info was very helpful. I didn't realize it could take between 8-12 weeks for the stitches to dissolve. Feeling a little relieved. Just want to be rid of the embarrassing order and discomfort. If it wasn't for that I would feel like a rock star.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2010, 07:30 AM

You might want your doc to take a look at the cuff just to rule out an infection in that area. (the odor could be from an infection) If the incision is infected, they'll treat with antibiotics while still leaving the sutures in to hold it together. (((HUGS))) It's no different then an external incision. If the incision gets infected, removing the sutures isn't the treatment...those are necessary, but antibiotics should take care of it (if infected.) Hang in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register