25 years old, fibroids regrew after myomectomy, now possible hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

25 years old, fibroids regrew after myomectomy, now possible hysterectomy 25 years old, fibroids regrew after myomectomy, now possible hysterectomy

Unread 04-15-2014, 03:26 PM
25 years old, fibroids regrew after myomectomy, now possible hysterectomy

Hello,

I am 25 years old and recovering from a laparoscopic myomectomy in January. For a little background, when I was diagnosed with multiple large submucosal fibroids in 2013, I had been bleeding 24/7 for several weeks and the volume of my uterus was twice that of normal. I had a myomectomy earlier this year, and appeared to be recovering well. My first post-surgery period lasted 3 weeks and I was treated in the ER after I started blacking out. I am now on oral progesterone to manage my bleeding, but my bleeding has not stopped completely. An MRI taken 10 weeks post-op has revealed that new fibroids have already grown and that my uterus is greatly enlarged. Before the symptoms of my fibroids became too difficult to manage, I was very physically active with training for marathon running. I have been unable to run or exercise for a year as physical exertion causes me to bleed heavily, which is extremely disheartening.

The original treatment plan was to place a Mirena IUD after I had healed from the myomectomy as the progesterone would slow or possibly prevent new fibroids. With the rapid regrowth of my fibroids, my doctor has explained my options are now: 1) uterine artery embolization; 2) Lupron injections; and 3) hysterectomy.

I am open to having a hysterectomy as I do not want children, however I would like to avoid major surgery if possible. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced such a quick regrowth after a myomectomy, and if anyone has had success in treating multiple large submucosal fibroids. It has been difficult finding other women my age to speak with about hysterectomies. And if anyone is very physically active, how has a hysterectomy affected your ability to exercise and train?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Re: 25 years old, fibroids regrew after myomectomy, now possible hysterectomy

My sono showed one fibroid and when they did the hysterectomy, path report showed multiple. Do you have any other problem ? Like adenomyosis ? I did extensively , so was glad I chose a hysterectomy. I personally think the 6 wk theory was silly, I've felt much better at 10 wks out. But maybe some others will answer.
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiarose View Post
My sono showed one fibroid and when they did the hysterectomy, path report showed multiple. Do you have any other problem ? Like adenomyosis ? I did extensively , so was glad I chose a hysterectomy. I personally think the 6 wk theory was silly, I've felt much better at 10 wks out. But maybe some others will answer.
My doctor did not say if I had adenomyosis. Currently my only diagnosis is multiple symptomatic fibroids. For my first myomectomy, my surgeon was expecting four fibroids based on ultrasounds and found five during surgery. I don't know yet how many I have this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2014, 02:34 AM

I don't think the surgeon took out all the fibroids when you had that myomectomy. Maybe you can try the UFE but never accept a second myomectomy. Its better to get it done once and for all. I totally regret my decision to go through a second myomectomy as now I have recurring fibroids for the third time!
Unread 04-22-2014, 05:04 AM

I had one ovary removed with my myomectomy. Six months later my fibroid were back and bigger looked pregnant again. For me the hysterectomy got rid of 95% of my pain (have endo...and attached to my intestines) but the best part is I like you bleed all the time. I passed baseball size clots and bleed for months at a time. My hysterectomy was at 34. I am glad I did it. I am emotional. Have hot flashes. But I can function life like a person. Good luck
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM

I had one ovary removed with my myomectomy. Six months later my fibroid were back and bigger looked pregnant again. For me the hysterectomy got rid of 95% of my pain (have endo...and attached to my intestines) but the best part is I like you bleed all the time. I passed baseball size clots and bleed for months at a time. My hysterectomy was at 34. I am glad I did it. I am emotional. Have hot flashes. But I can function life like a person. Good luck
Unread 04-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucciP View Post
I don't think the surgeon took out all the fibroids when you had that myomectomy. Maybe you can try the UFE but never accept a second myomectomy. Its better to get it done once and for all. I totally regret my decision to go through a second myomectomy as now I have recurring fibroids for the third time!
My doctor explained that for me a hysterectomy will likely be inevitable. Thankfully, she said she is able to perform a minimally invasive robotic assisted hysterectomy if that is what I choose, to minimize my recovery time.
Unread 04-22-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margonyman View Post
Everyone I have spoken with has described their hysterectomies as a positive experience, which is very reassuring for me. I have a consultation with my doctor in 2 weeks about my treatment options, and I hope to have my more technical questions answered. At this time, I am not sure how many fibroids I have regrown or how big my uterus has become. With my myomectomy, it was a very clear cut decision that surgical intervention was necessary, as I was bleeding uncontrollably and in a lot of pain. This time, however, the amount of progesterone I am on makes it difficult to gauge how bad my fibroids have gotten.
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:07 PM

Fibroids will grow with progesterone.I have read over and over of progesterone therapy causing continuous bleeding. Did you have a hysterscopic myo ? I had UFE for an intramural fibroid and it worked great! You seem very young to have a hysterectomy. My two cents..
  Quote:
Originally Posted by 01232014 View Post
Everyone I have spoken with has described their hysterectomies as a positive experience, which is very reassuring for me. I have a consultation with my doctor in 2 weeks about my treatment options, and I hope to have my more technical questions answered. At this time, I am not sure how many fibroids I have regrown or how big my uterus has become. With my myomectomy, it was a very clear cut decision that surgical intervention was necessary, as I was bleeding uncontrollably and in a lot of pain. This time, however, the amount of progesterone I am on makes it difficult to gauge how bad my fibroids have gotten.
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:26 PM

I am in my mid 30's, never married and no children. I had a DaVinci hysterectomy back in January and it was the BEST decision I ever made! No pain, no complications. Was in and out of the hospital the same day and back to work after 2 weeks. I started working out about 8 weeks after surgery and have slowly increased my workouts and am now back to 100%. I've even lost weight! My suggestion is do your research and find a good DaVinci surgeon and GO FOR IT! I wish I would have had mine sooner. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register