had abdominal vertical incision myomectomy today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

had abdominal vertical incision myomectomy today had abdominal vertical incision myomectomy today

Unread 03-21-2014, 12:55 AM
had abdominal vertical incision myomectomy today

And for those who worry - am awake, alert and ready to walk! Got to see it and it was huge! So glad it is gone. The medical people have been amazing and the meal was edible.
They gave me epidural and compression socks. Best hint is boiled lollies as mouth is dry and water bottle so it can't spill.
will update later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2014, 06:28 AM
Re: had abdominal vertical incision myomectomy today

Thanks for updating. I am not 100% confirmed (I have an MRI next week) but my obgyn said he would remove my large fibroids via da vinci and I am nervous. I am glad to here you are doing so well. It gives us all hope to get through this.
Ivy
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Hi - mine was very dense and surgeons said the other alternatives wouldn't work so was good call. It was size 5 months fetus. Am drowsy but after 26 hours I feel good have catheter out and epidural for pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2014, 05:09 PM

It is now day 3. Yesterday was rough as epidural was clamped off and the alternative made me sick.
I got my drain and my epidural out this morning and had a shower. I feel good, just tired. Glad it is gone but recovery is going to take time.
I am staying until tomorrow as I lost a lot of blood and my care plan needed more thought as I will need help with showering. But so far, going well.
Unread 03-24-2014, 05:28 AM

Good for you, I am glad you are feeling better and this is all over for you. I still don't have a date or a firm plan yet until after my MRI this week.

Every day you will get better.

Ivy
Unread 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM

Thanks. Home now.
Had a meltdown before leaving hospital although they have been really lovely, but I was weaker than I thought. Was told no driving for 6 weeks but will see how that goes as I need to be at work in 3 weeks and there is no other way to get there.
Ride home was rough and you do need a pillow or cushion for your lap. Don't forget it!
Send someone to the hospital pharmacy to get your prescriptions before you leave as it took 35 minutes and I was so tired.
I got home and sat in my comfy laz boy and slept. I was woken up for dinner and then went to bed and slept until morning. After breakfast I needed a nap. Usually I sleep about 6 hours a night but I kept waking up every 1-2 hours in the hospital so think I was overtired.
As for the constipation, it took medicine at first, and a lot of cheap coffee which usually moves me:-) now I have kiwi crush in the freezer and have cut the painkillers down a lot which can cause this as they also made me hallucinate a bit and go twitchy. I am on ibuprofen and paracetamol with a lower dose of sevitol (I think) for pain which I seem to need at night.
I can see my tummy is flatter but still bloated and am choosing not to eat too much as I don't want to gain weight and stretch things.
I am walking around the house every time I need a glass of water etc but am doing less than in hospital as I am feeling unsteady on my feet and there are steps to get outside.
The staples down my tummy come out on Monday then my Mum goes home and I am on my own. She has arranged a cleaner once a week for a few weeks and I have frozen meals in the freezer so am ok.
I think I completely underestimated how vulnerable and tired I would be. I had visions of getting a lot of study etc done, even if it took ages but I can't do a thing and don't expect to for a while. I just have to accept that I have to just take it day by day.
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Well, one week later and I am feeling much better. The thing I struggled with was adjusting to the fact that doctors rules applied to me! I have to rest and take it easy. I used my phone to set up reminders about medication so am constantly on moderate pain relief to avoid the stronger stuff. It actually doesn't hurt terribly, more like a dull ache unless I overdo things.
I am very lucky as I barely managed to avoid blood transfusions and other complications as things were difficult. I gather I am almost as extreme as it gets without complications, so am very lucky. I kept my uterus which means everything is worth it :-)
Unread 03-28-2014, 05:27 AM

That is so great to hear. I went for my MRI yesterday and I have a follow up on Tuesday with the doc. Will most likely have a date by then. I am very anxious and its all I think and dream about.
I am glad you are on the other mend. It gives me hope.
Ivy
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:44 AM

Hi. The MRI is very interesting, and I got yet another opinion afterwards, and that is what finally confirmed the abdominal myomectomy with the vertical incision was the best option. I could see all my other organs being squished by a single, enormous fibroid.
I am recovering but slowly. I have a numb spot, but it is small, so think it will go away as I heal. I have to rest often and my thinking gets confused if I don't stop and rest so I am listening to my body and having two hour long naps a day. However, my range of movement is more than I expected so I can bend to pick something up sometimes, although I can't walk up a slope and I can't fill the kettle and pour into a cup. This may stop me gaining weight in recovery....
I am glad I have done it, but am really hoping it doesn't grow back! The good news from the last opinion I got was that if I monitor it regularly, I am a great candidate for UFE if it grows back. I so hope there is no next time but good to know!
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:48 AM
had abdominal vertical incision myomectomy today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadje View Post
Hi. The MRI is very interesting, and I got yet another opinion afterwards, and that is what finally confirmed the abdominal myomectomy with the vertical incision was the best option. I could see all my other organs being squished by a single, enormous fibroid.
I am recovering but slowly. I have a numb spot, but it is small, so think it will go away as I heal. I have to rest often and my thinking gets confused if I don't stop and rest so I am listening to my body and having two hour long naps a day. However, my range of movement is more than I expected so I can bend to pick something up sometimes, although I can't walk up a slope and I can't fill the kettle and pour into a cup. This may stop me gaining weight in recovery....
I am glad I have done it, but am really hoping it doesn't grow back! The good news from the last opinion I got was that if I monitor it regularly, I am a great candidate for UFE if it grows back. I so hope there is no next time but good to know!
I am concerned things will change after the MRI as well and I am not looking forward to seeing my organs all smashed. What changed after the MRI what were you originally planning to do. I too am banking on ufe to manage my fibroids if they grow back.
Ivy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register