check up today...discouraged at 5 wks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

check up today...discouraged at 5 wks check up today...discouraged at 5 wks

Unread 05-25-2005, 02:23 PM
check up today...discouraged at 5 wks

Hi all -

I had my "6 wk checkup" today even though I'm only 5 wks + 1 day. My dr. did not clear me to go back to work...not until at least 8 wks. My internal stitches aren't healing and my many bruises (guess that's why it hurts so much down there) haven't healed yet either.

I'm a high school teacher and was hoping to go back to work next week (at the 6 wk mark) so I could see the seniors before they leave for graduation on the 9th. But now i'm not cleared to go back until the 15th. Why bother at that point?

I'm just discouraged I guess, I read and hear about so many of you who went back to work at 3-4 wks and are doing so great. Here I am at 5 wks still in painful-discomfort and not clear for at least 3 more weeks to go back to work. Still no more activity than walking - no bending and squating (oops been doing that for a few weeks).

Thanks for listening. Hope everyone else at 5 wks is doing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2005, 02:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear your discouraging news Lisa. I also teach seniors (ours graduated last night). Perhaps you could see them at graduation and/or any other "senior events" that might still occur before the end of the year. I saw some of mine a couple of times when I went up to help my sub with exemption decisions/final grades. I was slated to go to graduation last night (I'm at 4 weeks), but then didn't really feel well due to some soreness and probably overdoing it that day (my 5th grader "graduated" from elementary school yesterday morning). I regret that I didn't see some of them one last time, but both sides will survive it! :-)

Do they have anything coming up (a Baccalaureate maybe or a breakfast/dinner or something)? You could show up there for an hour or two (seated) and at least show you are interested, but not overdo it. Just a suggestion. I understand your feelings. Worse though is probably the fact that you thought you'd be well enough now and aren't. Just remember that everyone heals at a different rate and you don't want to lengthen it even more by disregarding the doctor's instructions!

Take care of yourself.

P.S. I'll also tell you what my department chair told me.....he said to enjoy this month since it's probably the last May I'll enjoy until I retire! He's probably right....seniors are much more challenging the last month than any other time!
Unread 05-25-2005, 02:36 PM

Hi
Hang in there! I didn't feel so hot at 5 weeks either! I noticed a big improvement at about 6 1/2 weeks. I'm 7 1/2 weeks post-op now, I'm slowly getting my energy back, and my incisions feel so much better. Digestion's still off, but am working on it. I felt really impatient at your stage of recovery also. I kind of felt like I'd hit a plateau, but then just started to feel much better. Sorry about your not being able to get back to your students, but your recovery is so important. Sending beat wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2005, 03:23 PM

Good Evening,

No, you are rushing it a bit. Yes, I know I've read where some people are going thru speedy recoveries. But that was not yours truly. I am coming along at a steady pace -- not a fast one.

Just take it light. I know you want to go to the graduation, say good bye, etc., -- but you had a hysterectomy unfortunately.

Some things that we want to do, well we will just have to disappointingly pass on them. I missed a Wedding and Communion during these past 6 weeks. But I accepted it, as I knew I couldn't go to those functions -- too much for me.

I am now 6 weeks today. Last week, my Good Doc gave me my Internal at five weeks because of his vacation schedule. (Wow, they sure can tell you a lot at that exam, can't they!)

He said I am forming scar tissue and that I've been pulling on the internal stitches. He said to kick it back a notch ASAP -- and that is why I was in such discomfort/bad achiness -- really since my operation date and all these weeks. Sigh...

This past week I rested 100% for 7 days. And there is a big improvement now. Some mild discomfort -- but a good improvement.

I am tired -- I may have energy for an hour. And then all of a sudden, what happened to me!!!

By week #8, I should start to see signs of the old Michele coming back! I have accepted, now, that it will take time.

All the best to you. You take care! Sincerely, Michele in Jersey!
Unread 05-25-2005, 05:01 PM

KSS - it's nice to know there's another teacher out there who "gets it". I have thought that maybe one day next week (befoe the seniors leave) I would go in to school and spend 5-10 minutes with each class, and in between just rest in the faculty room.

Lonicera - thanks - it's nice to know that someone else at this time felt the same way. I saw a drastic improvement between week 3 & 4 (didn't feel great but there was huge improvements) hopefully I'll see even more drastic changes in the next 3 wks.

Jersey Michele - guess you were in the same boat as I - got the "don't do this" from the dr at the checkup realizing you had already been doing that. I am completely in the same place as far as the tiredness...I do one little thing and then rest. Today for instance is the first day since surgery that I actually napped (I rested alot but o naps) but today after my "exam" I was in so much pain and really wiped out that I actually napped.

Thanks you all for your comments - thank God we all found this website.
Unread 05-25-2005, 05:14 PM

Try your method on Tuesday. If that exhausts you after a couple of classes (even with resting in the faculty lounge between), then go home and come back later the next day and get the next couple and so on. If you come toward the last 5-10 minutes of one class and stay through the first 5-10 minutes of the next, you would maximize your time better, especially if you use the "over several days" method.

I did get "caught" last week when I went in and stayed entirely too long and wore myself out. My sub had surgery yesterday and had some pre-op testing last Thursday. Rather than get an "unknown" sub (mine is a retired teacher from my subject at my school) for the one final exam scheduled that day (the other was during my planning period), I went in. Then I ended up staying and helping her with grades and was exhausted by the time I left. I spent the next day resting all day.

We get really attached to our students and it's hard to let go...especially when you won't see them the next year either because they are graduated and gone. Just do this in a way that doesn't harm you!
Unread 05-25-2005, 05:23 PM

thanks, that's a great idea to spread it out over several days and catch the end of one and the start of the next.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register