Painful? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Painful?

I am having my TVH on nov 3rd. From what I have read, sex is out of the question for 4 to 6 weeks.

I will be terrified to have sex the first time when I get the 'Go For It',

Because, my husband is extremely "well endowed"....that would make it more painful right?

I didnt think about that until I saw him showering today, and I ran off scared, just looking at it

any suggestions?

Sorry if it was , but I had to ask.

Cara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Painful?

I was just able to do it again. It didn't hurt at all. In fact It was the first time in my life it didn't hurt. don't be worried about it.
Unread 10-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Painful?

The more nervous you are the more it will hurt, tensing your vaginal muscles waiting for something to hurt tends to make it hurt (even if your man is the size of a peanut).
Relax, maybe have a glass of wine or 2 (whatever you drink choice is), lube is always good the first couple times. The key is to go sloooow, if it hurts, then stop and try and different postion. If your doing ok with his size now, then you should be fine after surgery and after you learn to be relaxed.
Everyone is usually nervous their first times after surgery, your fears are not uncomman at all. Go over to the post-op borads, you will see so many threads like yours.
Good luck and please never be embarrassed or think that we laugh at you. If your worried about it, then it is important to us!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Painful?

I would discuss this with your doctor - maybe there are different ways of tying off the cuff to give you more length in there. Good Luck - I had to wait 8 weeks to try it out and no pain at all.
Unread 10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Painful?

Cara,
Please don't ever be worried about asking any question here. That is what having sisters is all about! I haven't been cleared to have sex yet... I have ten more days (and I'm counting each of them). I have heard that it is a good idea to have some sort of lubrication at the ready to help things along. I plan on having fun picking these products out and hoping for the best. Good luck... and remember that old saying... if at first you don't succeed... try, try, try again
Unread 10-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I would never ever laugh.

Cara,

As spasmo said, please don't be embarrassed. And I would never laugh. I too had this same fear for the very same reason. I am small (under 5 foot) and my DH (6 foot) is also "well endowed."

It was one of the questions on my list of pre-op questions for my doctors. She said not to worry, well yeah, right! It wasn't her we were talking about. Anyway, she said that the amount it would be shortened, wouldn't be enough to make a difference unless there was some reason that they had to actually shorten the vagina. She said, she didn't see that happening in my case.

I am now 11 weeks post-op. I didn't get the "go ahead" until week 9 and we waited until week 10. My doctor did say take it easy.....no rough stuff, and not until I felt I was ready. And to my great joy, it didn't hurt! I didn't bleed! And it wasn't too short! There have been several threads about this very issue.

Everyone of us is different and we heal at different rates, so I can only speak from my personal experience. I do know from what other "sisters" have said, that trying to relax and taking it easy is the best thing. And lubricant can also help. That was a foreign idea to us, but I had it on hand just in case. We didn't need it. And once I relaxed, and realized that for the first time in over a year....it didn't hurt, it was wonderful.

Your not alone in these "seemingly" crazy thoughts and questions. Take care and my best to you in your surgery and healing.

Blessings,
Theresa
Unread 10-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Painful?

Dear Cara:

I once did an extensive (and embarassing!) search on the internet to find out *what is the measurement of the basic vagina*?

The answer: The length is 2-1/2 to 3 inches long (and stretches to accommodate). Snug enough for a tampon going in, yet stretchy enough for a baby coming out. Sexual arousal causes the vagina to relax and lengthen. My doc used the term *millimeters* to describe the small amount of shortening that would take place during my TVH.

No offense to all of those zillions of *well-endowed* men out there... but vagina really seems to be one-size-fits-all
Unread 10-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Painful?

Twyla,

Your post gave me a . It made me remember some pre-op testing. My Doctors use a skinny popsicle stick (like a corn dog stick) that they mark with a pen to measure your depth, I think it is marked in cm or something. This was actually to see if anything had prolapsed I think, it had to do with my bladder. Anyway, she says to the nurse (she was doing the writing) 9 1/2. I raise an eyebrow. Okeedokey then. Then I ask her if I can have a clean stick. She looks at me funny and asks why? I tell her, because nobody is going to believe me. I have never had that part of my anatomy measured before. She gives me one. I look at that stick and say......no way, DH is longer than that! When he comes in that night, I show him, It's this deep! and he says NO WAY! And then we both just cracked up!

Thanks for the grins.
Unread 10-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Painful?

The wise old lady said "its just like riding a bike....you never forget how....or how much fun it is"
Have fun.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register