Dermoid tumor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dermoid tumor Dermoid tumor

Unread 04-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Dermoid tumor

I have a lovely bouncing baby dermoid on my right ovary that I have named Derwin. He was discovered 6mos ago, but I needed back surgery first. Now that we have that all shipshape, we are taking care of him. I'm quite disappointed that he has no teeth- think of what you can get from the tooth fairy for one of *those* babies!

I was actually rather surprised when my gyno gave me the option of TAH. Since I'm WAY done having babies and I do have some "soft risk factors" such as irregular periods/estrogen dominance and unknown family history, I'm seriously considering it. I'm only 36, but my first response was, "heck, yah!". I'm not sure about increasing my operative risks vs decreasing my bleeding/cancer risks... so I know what you are going through.

Thankful newbie,
jay-bee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Dermoid tumor

You seem to be reluctant to having your uterus removed despite the physical problems it is causing you. Why? It seems something is nagging at you about that issue other than "just" facing surgery. Do know "how big" of a surgery your doctor is planning (e.g. LSH versus TAH)? Or, is it the thought of losing an organ -- one that is so closely tied to your female identity -- that makes you reluctant?
Unread 04-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Dermoids "R" Us

Hi, Jay-Bee. Nice to meet you (or should I say the both of you?) I've got a one on my R ovary that I've named "Little Buddy." At first I was so grossed out I could have ripped it out myself, but now I've gotten used to the company.

All 3 docs I've consulted have given me three different remedies -- one even thinks its not a dermoid (I'm done with him). Mine has a small neighboring mass that is not showing teratoma echogenics so it does need to come out and be biopsied. I am seeing a gyn/onc and need to decide if I want everything out. I am told this can be done lap. but I may need to be opened once the doc sees what's up ("What's up doc?")

I find keeping my sense of humor helps get through the uncertainty during this time. When I asked my doc if mine had teeth, his reply was "Can't you see that Colgate smile?"

What did the other ladies with an "evil twin" inside of them do or are considering doing? Nice to know I'm not "alone" in this situation (no pun intended -- well, OK, pun there!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Dermoid tumor

Hi Ladies.... It's been a year since they took my mini me... tooster.. I had a TAH and I kept my left ovary. My doctor told me that the right one was fine and that I have another 20 years, plus I don't have to take any horm meds... I wish you the best
Unread 04-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Dermoid tumor

Happy Hystaversary TJSELL38!

So would you recommend keeping the healthy ovary? How are you faring after surgery a year later -- did you notice much difference in hormone levels, headaches, sex drive, etc.? Can you still keep up w/3 boys?
Unread 04-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Dermoid tumor

Oh please have everything taken out and save yourself from having problems later and having to go under the knife again. I'm 39 and have a history of ovarian problems and I had surgery for an ectopic pregnancy 8 weeks ago. I'm having a TAH in 2 days because I've had nothing but tons of pain and misery since this last surgery. I wish I had the presence of mind to tell my doctor to just take everything back in February!! Good luck!!
Unread 04-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Dermoid tumor

Donna- I thought I was the only goofball to name the alien! I am SO jealous that you get a lap. When we first saw this bugger 6mos ago he was measured at 11x7x4- Last week he was 11x11x7. No lap for me.

I've pretty much decided to have the hyster as well, even though it is not medically necessary. I've always been uber conservative medically, but my gut says to have it done.

Julie
Unread 04-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Dermoid tumor

Hi Julie.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the hyster as well -- I read on one of the posts about passing "liver" during a period. My periods haven't been liquid in years -- everything sinks into the bottom of the toilet (sorry if ) and I've been reading up on adenomyosis which is what one of the docs thinks it is.

When are you supposed to go in -- do you know yet?

And will you be bringing two toothbrushes with you?
Unread 04-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Dermoid tumor

I love you sisters that are able to joke about the dermoid tumors - and your friends, DH's, and families too! I used to liken the clots to chicken livers. Same size, color, texture.
Unread 04-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Dermoid tumor

You don't wanna know what went through my mind while my son was reading the children's book "Stone Soup"!!!!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one with culinary references for my bodily woes.

I wonder if my dermoid will also be born blonde like I was? I did a Google image search and it wasn't too but I guess I've accepted it. I did tell my doc that I want to see all the photos when this is over. Should make for an interesting scrapbook page . . . . . . . .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register