New here, hysterectomy scheduled 7/20 and second guessing decision! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, hysterectomy scheduled 7/20 and second guessing decision! New here, hysterectomy scheduled 7/20 and second guessing decision!

Unread 07-10-2011, 06:36 AM
New here, hysterectomy scheduled 7/20 and second guessing decision!

Hi, I'm Christy, 33 with 3 kids. I had my last child in 3/08 and my periods returned approx. 8 months later. Every since then I have had horribly heavy (super+ in 45 min) and long lasting periods (+2 weeks). I've had many other issues over the years and had a cyst removed along with endometriosis burned in 11/06. Last year we tried BC pills for the bleeding and that didn't help, then I had a d&c done with no relief either. I've taken Lysteda, which helped but it made me very nervous to be on. Doctor said ultrasound just shows really thick uterine lining. I also have lots of pain on the ovary which previously had cyst removed. Biopsy was fine. I am now scheduled for a supercervical hysterectomy on 7/20 and am worried that we didn't do enough to find out what's wrong before surgery. I don't want to still have ovary pain after since plan is to keep everything but uterus as of now. I am also dealing with some marital stress right now and am not sure I will have the help and support I am going to need.

Sorry for the long post but I am in panic mode with 10 days to go!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Re: New here, hysterectomy scheduled 7/20 and second guessing decision!

Sorry you are having so many 2nd thoughts. I think you need to talk to your doctor about your feelings. THis is really not something you should do with so many doubts. You might find you are just having last minute fears which will be reduced from having that conversation. It is your body and if you feel you need to farther investigate your options, you better do that for peace of mind. I'm not sure what your marital stress is, not really any of our business, but could some of it be from you not feeling well? I know my husband was not the most supportive through my doctoring to find a cause prior to surgery. He thought it was all in my head as each test showed nothing and that caused us stress! I know things are much better now and I think he feels pretty bad for not being there when I needed him. Maybe you need to speak to a counselor as well. You will need support, especially having the younger children that I am guessing from your age you would have. Good luck to you! Remember, your body and only do what you are comfortable with!
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Questioning your decision is very normal. All my surgeries and ultrasounds over the years have only shown very thick lining and scaring. No cysts or fybroids, however, after constant bleeding (3 years) where I would go threw a 100 pack of supers in 15-20 days and a couple of hospitalizations, I also made the same choice you have. I'm sorry to hear you may not have the support you'll need for your recovery.

Just keep in mind, without aunt flow visiting, your blood count will be higher and you'll have more energy to spend with your children. There are some other options, such as an ablation, but they do not always work. It is something you may want to bring up with your doctor. They may have reason to believe this won't work for you (mine did not think it would and explained his reasons) and went for the more drastic solution. There is a very good board here for alternatives.

In any case, I will have you in my thoughts on the 20th. Beat wishes in your crowning and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Anyone have surgeon and urologist during hysterectomy?

I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on August 2. My ob/gyn is very nice but doesn't volunteer a lot of details. He has asked a surgeon to be in the room in case a bowel is nicked and a urologist to be present to put stints in the ureter. Now I am worried that it is a bigger deal than he is making it out to be. Is it normal to have three doctors in on the surgery?
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysterinjune View Post
Sorry you are having so many 2nd thoughts. I think you need to talk to your doctor about your feelings. THis is really not something you should do with so many doubts. You might find you are just having last minute fears which will be reduced from having that conversation. It is your body and if you feel you need to farther investigate your options, you better do that for peace of mind. I'm not sure what your marital stress is, not really any of our business, but could some of it be from you not feeling well? I know my husband was not the most supportive through my doctoring to find a cause prior to surgery. He thought it was all in my head as each test showed nothing and that caused us stress! I know things are much better now and I think he feels pretty bad for not being there when I needed him. Maybe you need to speak to a counselor as well. You will need support, especially having the younger children that I am guessing from your age you would have. Good luck to you! Remember, your body and only do what you are comfortable with!
Some of it might be, but it's definitely more than just that. My husband has become more and more self centered over the last few years and really showed me this weekend that we are not high on his priority list. I am not even on speaking terms with him right this minute and honestly would like nothing more than for him to move out. That isn't realistic right now and I know we need to talk through some of this but I am still too mad right now.
Thank you for your response though, I am supposed to go in for labs this week, I think I will try to set up a consult with my doctor at the same time.
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aille View Post
Questioning your decision is very normal. All my surgeries and ultrasounds over the years have only shown very thick lining and scaring. No cysts or fybroids, however, after constant bleeding (3 years) where I would go threw a 100 pack of supers in 15-20 days and a couple of hospitalizations, I also made the same choice you have. I'm sorry to hear you may not have the support you'll need for your recovery.

Just keep in mind, without aunt flow visiting, your blood count will be higher and you'll have more energy to spend with your children. There are some other options, such as an ablation, but they do not always work. It is something you may want to bring up with your doctor. They may have reason to believe this won't work for you (mine did not think it would and explained his reasons) and went for the more drastic solution. There is a very good board here for alternatives.

In any case, I will have you in my thoughts on the 20th. Beat wishes in your crowning and recovery.
Thank you for the response. It helps to know that other people have had the same issue without explanation. Did you have any pain associated with the heavy bleeding? My ovary pain is mostly during the time of ovulation and it takes my breath away, causes me to break out in a sweat and all.

My doctor was leaning towards doing an ablation instead, even if it only bought me a year or so. Then I went back in for an ultrasound because I thought I had another cyst with all the pain I was having. There was no cyst and she did the biopsy at the same time. The biopsy hurt so bad I cried and that's when she decided it would be best to just do the hysterectomy instead.
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Re: Anyone have surgeon and urologist during hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymy80 View Post
I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on August 2. My ob/gyn is very nice but doesn't volunteer a lot of details. He has asked a surgeon to be in the room in case a bowel is nicked and a urologist to be present to put stints in the ureter. Now I am worried that it is a bigger deal than he is making it out to be. Is it normal to have three doctors in on the surgery?
Wow, I have no idea... you may want to make a post of your own and ask if that is the norm. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register