Upcoming hysterectomy FEB 27th - similar to c-section? Odds of cuff tearing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy FEB 27th - similar to c-section? Odds of cuff tearing? Upcoming hysterectomy FEB 27th - similar to c-section? Odds of cuff tearing?

Unread 02-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy FEB 27th - similar to c-section? Odds of cuff tearing?

Would I be way off base to think this will feel similar to c-sections, I've met some who say it was pretty close but others have told me it was much worse...would love more input.
What are the odds of the cuff tearing?
Queen of overthinking here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Re: Hysterectomy (LAVH) set for 2/27/17 - similar to c-section? Odds of cuff tearing?

From reading past posts and knowing my own anxieties, it's safe to say many of us have had issues which we obsessed over before surgery. The best thing to do is keep busy so that you won't dwell on the what ifs as much. I'm happy to report than none of my 3 main concerns came to pass.

I don't have any personal insight on how a C-section compares to a hysterectomy, but the article here is an interesting read to get you started. Perhaps Sisters who've experienced both will share.

A vaginal cuff tear (vaginal cuff dehiscence) isn't common, with an incidence rate of <1% up to 4% depending on a variety of factors. If you have any underlying health issues which may slow or complicate healing, let your doctor know. Post-op... follow your doctor's instructions regarding restrictions and activities to help lessen the chances of a tear happening. You can read more at the link.

Best wishes for a successful surgery!

Unread 02-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Re: Hysterectomy (LAVH) set for 2/27/17 - similar to c-section? Odds of cuff tearing?

I would that cuff tearing chances are much higher if you do not follow your doctor restrictions post surger. (Sex, lifting, etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2017, 11:32 AM

So I had a LAVH/BSO and my experience is that my csection was much worse than this surgery. I woke up in recovery and because they did the epidural for pain relief for the first 24 hours I had no pain at all. I asked them if they did the surgery yet lol. Even with the infection I developed I still feel this surgery was much less painful than the csection. Just follow all restrictions from your dr and you should be good about not tearing the vagibal cuff. Hugs and prayers that all goes good for you!
Unread 02-18-2017, 08:59 AM

It feels nothing even anywhere close to a csection. There is no comparison. When they told me to get into my bed post op I was braced for the csection pain and couldn't believe that there was 0 pain. The incision didn't hurt. All the pain after was from gas and nothing else.
Unread 02-18-2017, 10:22 AM

I might suggest that those who had an abdominal incision (not lapro, not DaVinci) might find it closer to a c-section. Not having had a c-section I can't say personally, but it does make me wonder.

Good to know about the low incidence of cuff problems. That has been the last "fear" I've been dealing with.

Thanks, Sisters!
Unread 02-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Don't read too much here and work yourself up. That was my biggest mistake and caused such anxiety and high blood pressure in the week prior to surgery. People tend to only post the worst and never the good. I was walking 6 hours after surgery and off pain meds by that time too. Laparoscopic is nearly pain free.
Unread 02-18-2017, 01:43 PM

I had my LAVH on Feb 7th.Removed uterus, cervix, and tubes but kept both ovaries. I am 11 days post op and I feel great! I never had a c-section but can only imagine how painful that would be. This surgery has been so easy! Not much pain at all. Even hours after surgery I was only given ibuprofen for pain. That seemed to manage my pain level fine. I was up and walking the day after surgery. The worst part of it all was the gas pain for a few days after surgery. Try not to worry too much before your surgery. You will be so surprised how good you will feel after a few days. Good luck and happy healing!
Unread 02-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyedlady View Post
Would I be way off base to think this will feel similar to c-sections, I've met some who say it was pretty close but others have told me it was much worse...would love more input.
What are the odds of the cuff tearing?
Queen of overthinking here
Hi!
I had a LAVH in 2012.
At my 6 week, release for intimacy, check up, my Dr said the cuff was tight and prescribed me dilators. They really helped. You work your way up as you "train" your new muscle configuration. My husband and I had to wait longer, but it had been so painful previous to surgery, we were used to waiting. It took about 2 weeks, I also used different breathing to relax and re-learn my body.
It was worth the effort, no tearing. Being patient and going slow will benefit you.
I also recommend rephresh-helps balance your PH.
I hope this helps!
Unread 02-20-2017, 08:04 AM

I'm almost 6 weeks out from my LAVH. I don't have children and it was my first surgery, so I can't compare to a c-section personally. But I can give you an idea of my pain level. Like someone else mentioned, my pain was almost non-existent through the whole recovery, other than the gas. I recovered in the hospital overnight, and they just gave me Motrin. I wore an abdominal binder (which I had from the hospital) for about two weeks after the surgery, and I kept a pillow with me for coughing and leaning on whilst sitting up.

The incisions are tiny, and the worst I felt was some aching, but it was incredibly minor. The only other pain I remember was some fleeting cramping at the cuff (felt like very minor premenstrual cramps) for the first two days if I tried to strain too much.

For reference, I had cervix, uterus, and tubes removed. Both ovaries are still there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register