Anybody with menstrual migraines? | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody with menstrual migraines? Anybody with menstrual migraines?

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Anybody with menstrual migraines?

I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO on 6/27 for my "horrible" 3-4 day menstrual tension migraines. I have tried everything short of Lupron injections. I am 2nd guessing myself on my decision, and was wondering if any of you have had this go on with your cycles? My headaches occur only after my period is over with and then I get the migraine for 3-4 days. I have tried estrogen patches, progesterone, antidepressants, birth control pills, etc. and have found nothing that helps me. Any suggestions? Please?
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:30 PM

I, too was a menstral migraine sufferer.... I unfortunately still get migraines, but they are very few and far between and most often than not, a dose or two of Maxalt will nip them when I do have an attack.
Unread 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM

Yes, I do get menstrual migraines. 3 years ago I tried the Lupron injections and it made my migraines a thousand times worse! I missed a month of work over a 3-month period due to migraines when I was on those injections!

I'm only 8 weeks post-op and had a mild headache last week when I would have been having my period. It wasn't too bad, only lasted a day instead of 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2008, 09:36 AM

bonga02

I suffer with migraines in general but the "cyclical" ones are by far the worst. I kept my ovaries and my migraines remain unchanged. But, to be honest, I expected that.

I have read posts where ladies have seen an improvement following a BSO. You may wish to try a Google Search of HysterSisters (towards the top right of this page) to read of others' experiences.

A hysterectomy is a huge decision and all we can do is research as much as possible and seek a second, or even third, medical opinion. If you're at all unsure, then please don't hesitate to give yourself more time.

Sending all good wishes and we're here to support you ~ every step of the way.

Unread 06-19-2008, 07:43 PM

yes i definitely get migraines plus they are worse during my cycle.i normally have a menstrual migraine my whole week of my period.they actually have gotten worse since i had my tubal ligation.my poor 11 yr old daughter has menstrual migraines too. she started her cycle last sept and i made a connection to her period with her headaches and took her to the md and they said she has migraines most likely related to her period.i take topamax 25mg twice a day for mine and it seem to work ok but since this tubal i get them all the time now.plus my periods are all messed up too,cysts too. my poor daughter is on midrine when she has her onset of migraines.
Unread 06-19-2008, 11:33 PM

I am lucky, I get regular headaches before and during my cycle. But not migraines. Those classic migraines, always over my right eye, are far and few between since I got my blood pressure under control. Isn't it amazing how our bodies are so finely tuned that when one thing doesn't work right it knocks something else out of whack?
Unread 06-23-2008, 04:55 PM

I had terrible hormonal migraines for years. I could not take medicine for them. It was horrible. I got them more often and for longer periods of time.

Finally, my LARGE uterus and fibroids made it important to get my hysterectomy. LOTS of pain and I could not sleep from the pressure.

I had my TAH BSO three weeks ago. I am on .05 Climera patch. I got a migraine and cut a piece of patch from another patch and added it. Just a little bit. Looks like all is well now!

You have to adjust the amount of patch. I am really happy to be free from migraines so far. I had nothing go lose because I had them so often!
Unread 06-23-2008, 05:06 PM

Hi bonga02!

Who treats your migraines? I was not diagnosed with migraines until after my hysterectomy. I have non-hormonal migraines and hormonal migraines -- mine seem to occur from a drop in estrogen. I have asked my neurologist and reproductive endocrinologist if removing my ovaries or using hormones would help my migraines and they have felt that neither choice would be best for me. Instead, I take a prophylactic migraine med every day (Keppra) and also use Maxalt when a migraine explodes.

I do know that there are ladies on the site who have found that after their BSO and finding the right HRT balance their hormonal migraines ceased, so hopefully this would be the case for you! But before making your final decision, talk to all of your doctors who treat your headaches and see what they all suggest! S
Unread 06-24-2008, 09:15 AM

I didn't have "migraines" in the classical sense, but I do get debilitating "hormonal headaches". That's one reason I had BSO along with my LSH. It was totally my choice and I decided I would risk it. The only problem is getting hormone replacement right. When I'm "stable", no headaches at all. When my body changes (as it will during the first year) I go through a week of trying to get back on track. My headaches signal a hormonal issue that I have to address. I've found that BiEst has worked best for me -- I'm not sure why, but my theory is that the estriol helps balance the strength of estradiol, so small incremental changes don't affect me so strongly. I have tried estradiol "straight" and the smallest change brings on a terrible headache -- the 10-day type! Ughh..
So, yes, I'm glad I had the BSO, and hopefully I will be completely stabilized soon. Hope this helps you a little
Unread 06-26-2008, 09:23 PM

hi everyone,

i suffer from migraines too but noticed that when i was pregant i did not have any headaches. when i started back in birth control the headaches resumed while on the sugar pills. Dr. had me try several different pills and also the climara patch. finally i quit taking bc pills. well now i am older, have a uterine prolapse, and terrible pms. i have opted for a LAVH. i am trying to make up my mind about keeping my ovaries. The doctor says that if i keep the ovaries, my body will still go through the hormone cycle causing me to continue having sever pms type symptoms. The doctor explained that without the ovaries and on hrt he can control the level and not have severe pms. i am scared of taking hrt and having headaches again. open to others stories.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register