What's the silliest question | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's the silliest question What's the silliest question

Unread 03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
What's the silliest question

So what is the silliest question you've been asked about your hyst.

I'm torn between two. Mine seems to be, "WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SPACE THAT'S BEEN LEFT" or "WILL EVERYTHING ELSE GROW TO FILL THE SPACE?"

Most of these questions come from my allegedly intelligent work colleagues. Its a scary, scary world.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Re: What's the silliest question

LOL well I can't say I have not thought that same exact thing, not necessarily what will grow in place, I swear my docs were playing vollyball with my insides during surgery, they're still so sore.
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Well, those seems to be really intelligent questions. Well, the first one does. The silliest question I've gotten after such a major surgery is ARE YOU WELL, YET?

Uh . . . no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM

I love the ARE YOU WELL YET, this mostly comes from MAN....

perhaps if we had a kidney or another appendage removed they would understand a little better.
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:47 AM

You could always find out just how gullible they are by saying with an absolutely straight face, "The organs are replace with special organ shaped bags of sterilized sawdust so that the remaining organs won't move around." (I know, I'm wicked.)
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepscats View Post

You could always find out just how gullible they are by saying with an absolutely straight face, "The organs are replace with special organ shaped bags of sterilized sawdust so that the remaining organs won't move around." (I know, I'm wicked.)
It would be bad form, especially since there are a lot of women who had hysterectomies who ask that question. Look at this thread and the pre-op one. People want to know how the space is filled in. Seems like a good question and not silly at all.
Unread 03-20-2011, 12:51 PM

I apologize if I offended anyone. My response was to tituba who clearly said that she thought the question was silly when it was directed at her from colleagues.

To me, that's very different than the same question coming from a woman who is either going to have a hysterectomy or has already had one and is trying to understand the changes in her body.

The serious answer is that our organs are very tightly packed into a small space. When organs of any kind are removed there's a little more space for what's left. Under normal circumstance the remaining organs may shift a little, but they don't grow in an adult.
Unread 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Seems so gross to think of organs (or innards) just moving around. Why don't they have their special own carefully packaged space?

You know, like Tupperware or Baggies. One for the liver. One for the intestines. Ovaries get their own. Bladder gets its own. Stomach. All nicely packaged up. Nothing touching or moving around. All nicely packaged up. Ew!

Then, none of this moving around when we stand or shift.
Unread 03-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Love the image of baggies! (I'm a tidy sort, so that's very appealing.)

Bodies are pretty amazing. Everything is compressed really tight, yet it works. It makes successful surgery all the more impressive!

In most instances, organs that are removed are so small that we don't notice the shifting. It probably happens before we're out of the recovery room. I think of it as going from a slightly too tight pair of slacks to a pair that fits correctly.

It's possible to feel a difference if an enlarge uterus is removed. Mine was starting to press my bladder. My balance is different, too, in the one yoga pose for balance that it's safe for me to do now. It will change again when my swelly belly recedes.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register