Going up steps!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going up steps!!! Going up steps!!!

Unread 02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Going up steps!!!

Hello ladies,

I just have a quick question......does anyone have an idea how long before going up steps.......my pc is upstairs and I was wondering how long before I can safely come back upstairs....wouldn't want to be away from pc for too long....lol

Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Going up steps!!!

You need to check with your own DR, as each has their own preferences for their post op patients.

I didn't have any restrictions as far as ambulation went. But once I was downstairs in the morning I had no reason to go back upstairs until bedtime as we have a bathroom on both floors and my computer is downstairs. But sitting at the computer for more than a few minutes is not advisable for a while cause it puts a lot of pressure on the healing tissues.

Best wishes!
Unread 02-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Going up steps!!!

I didn't do steps for the 1st week, although my Dr said I could (we have like 14 steps). After that, I only went up and down once a day for about another week. It was doable after that. Remember, slow and steady wins the race!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2005, 06:23 PM
UP STAIRS ? AT LEAST 6 WEEKS

hey girl i had my hysterectomy feb 9th 2 weeks wed, the doctor told me NO CLIMBING STAIRS FOR 6 weeks! esp big long steep stairs, short steps prolbly ok, if its ONLY A FEW. then do baby steps. only if you have to! NO BENDING DOWN TO PICK UP ITEMS EITHER, its been 2 weeks for me- i usally take a daily nap today i got to ride in car but i hade no steps to climb, my girlfrinds friend after 3 weeks went up long steep stairs, now shes in hospitol, bleeding, shes doing ok, had to be treated, our bodies feel fine but- inside of us is not well enough to take the stairs yet, why dont you ask your doctor also!? how post op are you? dont do it for a good 6 weeks, then your doctor should tell you also, speak up to him or her, ask questions, no sex either as long as 6 weeks, this site does not take in place of doctors, this site is only support , to offer support, some experiences weve had, to help one another, but please no stair climbing till you ask your doctor, usally 6-8 weeks, like i said my friends friend is NOW in hospitol for not listening to her doctor, bleeding, but shes treated, ready to come home soon , thats all i know on that..... i wish you the best and a speedy recovery, but please ask your doctor, about STAIRS.
Unread 02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Going up steps!!!

I haven't had surgery yet, but when I asked my Gyn about stairs, she said I could go up them when I got home - S L O W L Y; like a kid learning the stairs, and holding a pillow on my belly.

I wonder why there is such a difference in the Doc's opinions? Immediately to not for 6 weeks?!?!?!?

Jennifer
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Going up steps!!!

Hi I had my TAH/BSO on Jan 20, and I have to say from the minute I got home I was up and down stairs. I have a split level with 3 floors so it was impossible for me not to go up and down. It wasn't so easy but I did it very very slowly and now I am 4 weeks post op and have been going up and down all day long for 3 weeks now with no problems. Listen to your body and you shouldn't have a problem. Hopes this helps.
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Going up steps!!!

Hi. I had a TAH on Feb. 1 My MD was not concerned about me going up and down stairs, but he did say to go slowly and limit the trips to no more than 3 times a day that first week. This last week it's gotten much easier and not painful at all to use the stairs, though I still take it slowly and carefully and try to think ahead so I don't have too many unnecessary trips upstairs or down.

I agree with all those who say trust your body, go slowly, and do whatever your doctor recommends for your type of surgery and your physical condition.

--Cindy
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Going up steps!!!

Thank you, tigrace
I too, have a split level. Unless I want to sleep in the garage, I have to go up steps. It never occurred to me to ask about this and for a minute there, I was panicking.
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Going up steps!!!

Yeah Terri, that's me too! I thought momentarily about fixing myself a bed in the garage for the first few days, but I only have 7 steps up to the main floor so hopefully that won't be necessary.
I'm really hoping it will be easier than it was when I had my bunions removed and had to hop up on crutches & one foot.
Unread 02-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Going up steps!!!

My doc said... 1 flight per day, 1 up and 1 down. That's all. I guess that it depends on your surgery type and what your doc says... don't be afraid to ask your doc. That's what they're there for .

Stay Strong and Heal Well!!!!

PS> I found that going up the steps one at a time and side-ways helped reduce the strain. I've also heard other Ladies say that coming down the stairs backwards helps...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register