Asthma Patient | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Asthma Patient Asthma Patient

Unread 03-31-2004, 05:35 PM
Asthma Patient

I am not sure if anyone else has my problem. I have severe asthma. I am going to see my PCP on APril 15th. I am sure she will do a 10 regimen of Prednisone due to this being allergy season and my asthma acts up real bad this time of year. Does anyone know what type of precautions the anesthesiologist will take for an asthma patient? I think this is my only fear. LOL

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 05:47 PM
Asthma Patient

((((Karen))))

You need to discuss this with your surgeon and when you have a pre-op (either by phone or in person) with the hospital. The anesthesiologists are use to dealing with such issues.Since you are an asthma pt. you probably are familier with breathing treatments. Sometimes, upon being extubated (when you wake up and they remove the breathing tube) a treatment is needed, even in NON-Asthma pts! The anesthesiologist will likely listen to your breathing ahead of surgery. They may order a Pre-Op Chest x-ray. You need to be sure and let them know if you are having any trouble before surgery!!! (GENERAL PRECAUTIONS WE ALL NEED TO FOLLOW!) Be sure and do the DEEP BREATHING and COUGHING in the immediate post-op time! It will help to keep your lungs expanded and help to lessen the likelihood of developing pneumonia...a potential post-op complication for anyone!

YOU NEED TO LET YOUR PCP KNOW THAT YOU ARE HAVING SURGERY!!! Steroids can interfere with healing sometimes. I know that is the warning that came with my dd's when she was recently put on Prednisone! Her warning was that if she was having surgery/ or had an injury/infection in the 6mo. following treatment with Prednisone, to be sure to let the doctor know when she took it and how much she took!!! You really NEED to look into it and see if this applies to you!!!!

Be sure your medical team: and knows your medical history pertaining to the asthma!!!!

Hugs,
Ronda
Unread 03-31-2004, 05:50 PM
asthma

I also suffer from asthma. Last year when I had a surgical biopsy, the A-Man asked me about allergies, asthma problems, etc. He said he was prepared to treat me if i had an attack before or after surgery.

Just make sure your Dr and A-Man are both aware of your asthma history and everything will be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 06:03 PM
Asthma Patient

Quote:
Originally posted by bridges
[B
YOU NEED TO LET YOUR PCP KNOW THAT YOU ARE HAVING SURGERY!!! Steroids can interfere with healing sometimes. I know that is the warning that came with my dd's when she was recently put on Prednisone! Her warning was that if she was having surgery/ or had an injury/infection in the 6mo. following treatment with Prednisone, to be sure to let the doctor know when she took it and how much she took!!! You really NEED to look into it and see if this applies to you!!!!

Be sure your medical team: and knows your medical history pertaining to the asthma!!!!

Hugs,
Ronda [/b]
Actually, the reason I am going to my PCP is because of the surgery. I want her to check my over before. I informed them of the surgery when I made the appointment.

Now my other question. I already use Advair and Singulair to manage my asthma. I also use Albuterol inhaler and nebs. Advair is also a steriodal drug. Will it effect me like the Prednisone?

I have disclosed all my medical history to my dr. and he didn't seem to have any major concerns with it. Like I said, my asthma is my only concern regarding my surgery.
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:09 PM
Asthma Patient

I had a meeting with the A-man before my surgery. I told him I have asthma and he told me not to worry. I reminded them again when I went in for my hyster and they said they were aware and would watch me closely. Once you're out, someone is with you all the time monitoring to be sure all is well. They seemed to be ready for anything. Everything went fine for me, hopefully you will be the same

s
Cat
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:11 PM
Asthma Patient

I hope so. What made me think about this was today when I ran to my nebulizer 4 times. Like I said in a different post...mentally I am not scared, but, I think my body is saying otherwise. I started having problems right after the dr. scheduled me. BUT, I am NOT backing out. This has been a long time coming and I want it done.
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:11 PM
Asthma Patient

I had my surgery 6 weeks ago TAH/BSO. I have asthma and am on Singulair and Advair 100/50. The castle had me bring my Advair with me the morning of surgery and also had me take my singulair the night before and my Advair as normal in the morning.
The anesthesiologist had my inhaler with his paperwork when he came to speak with me before surgery and I didn't have any problems. Just make sure your Dr's know what you are on and how often you take and they should let you know if you need to change or do anything differently before your surgery.

Katytoo

This was my situation and yours may be different. Just make sure you advise all your Dr's.
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:16 PM
Asthma Patient

Karen,

This is a bad time of year in VA for asthma anyway. I was just in today getting prescrips for Allegra, Flonase and Advair because I've had to use my inhaler so much the last week or so. I love all the trees in bloom, they're so pretty....but oooooh the lungs are taking a beating!!

s
Cat
Unread 03-31-2004, 08:09 PM
Asthma Patient

Ain't that about the truth. Across the street, there is golden rod galore. My neighbors all have dogwoods in full bloom. My MIL's neighbors have trees with flowers on them in full bloom so I have gotten whammied from every direction. i am on Advair 250/50. They put ,e on that when the Pulmicort stopped working. I take 10mg Singulair. I plan on taking all my meds with me. I wonder if they will let me have my nebulizer as it works best in the morning.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register