How important is a post-op appt? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How important is a post-op appt? How important is a post-op appt?

Unread 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
How important is a post-op appt?

Wow. I wonder if there is any correlation between managed care and delay in getting an internal exam???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM

I have seen my surgeon twice since my surgery and he didn't even do an exam or look at my scar!! I finally went to my regular gyno and he did an exam, told me my vaginal cuff wasn't totally healed yet, so I think it is important to go. As long as you feel you are healing properly, I would just go to the apt. on Dec.24th. If not, you could just show up and see if anyone was a no show.

It's a shame that you have to go through this. Good luck and hope all goes well.
Unread 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM

My surgeon said 'I'll see you in 8 weeks' on the day I was discharged.
I do have an bladder ultrasound done by his nurse at 2 weeks but that's all (btw I had a bladder lift also)
He told me the do's and don'ts and answered my questions and said to call if I had problems.
My impression is that there's not much for him to do until then. I think the 'nothing in the vagina' rule also applies to surgeons speculums etc :-) so probably they want to wait until the healing process is complete before they check on things, or poke or prod anywhere.
You should definitely be able to call and leave a message for your surgeon to ask any questions you may have. If the secretary is uncooperative I would ask to speak directly to him or you're turning up to his office! That kind of behaviour from the secretary is unacceptable in my opinion I think. Just make sure you are very polite, assertive and specific with your requests! Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2008, 09:21 PM

Cristy - dealing with military hospitals can sometimes be a real pain. I know. My DH is retired air force. We spent 24 years in and we have had our health care at an MTF since he retired 9 years ago. I had my hyst in an army hospital. I had wonderful care.
I did not have a follow-up appt. until 6 wks either. But I was told to call the clinic anytime I had a question or problem. I did call several times and asked to leave a message for my doctor. Usually, the surgeon's nurse would call me back with the answers.
At my checkup she did do an internal exam because I was having some spotting issues. There was a small area that had not healed yet.

If you are feeling good and are having no pain or spotting then I think it sounds like you are healing just fine. But if you are still concerned then keep calling until you get someone who is willing to listen to those concerns. If you can't get someone to answer your questions then talk to someone in the patient's affairs office to see if they can help. You can probably get in sooner if you are willing to see a different gyn doctor. I finally had to do that for a continuing problem that I was having. Turned out to be a doctor who was much more understanding and answered more questions than my surgeon ever did. I had been hesitant to go to this one because it was a male doctor, too. Now I am glad I was forced, more or less, to see him.

I hope you can get your questions answered to give you the peace of mind you need to contnue on the road to healing.
Unread 11-25-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatyMoo
Hi Cristy
Here in the UK we only get a post op appointment if we go privately!
Actually I'm in the UK and I had a post-op appointment (on the NHS) but it was last week, at 9 weeks. My consultant didn't do an internal but did feel my stomach to check everything was normal. It was quite reassuring really - he said the slight pains I've been getting on the LHS are just healing and from overdoing the exercise! I also felt that at any stage I could've left a message for the consultant through his secretary. But back to your problem -- I'd personally take the one on Dec 24th -- is there any way you can do that? Would put your mind at rest. Best wishes hun xx
Unread 11-25-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesprouts
Hi
I am in the UK and had TAH (ovaries removed)28 Oct. My '6 week check' is also on Dec 24th but my GP only signed me off until 9 Dec, so do I go back to work before the check I wonder? Maybe it's just me but AFter major abdominal surgery it just seems strange to be chucked out of hospital after 2 days and left to deal with everything on your own for 2 months! I know I have been overdoing things at home and now I am worried I may have done myself some damage and want to know if all is ok before I go back to work and maybe do more damage.
I think I may have to pinch the idea of rolling around surgery floor......
Take care everybody!
I would go back to your GP and get another sick note from 9th Dec if I was you -- it would be reasonable for you to be signed off till after Christmas unless you have a superwoman recovery!!! I also did too much sometimes and paid for it with pain on the LHS. Checked this out with my doc at the 9 week appointment and he said it is normal. xx
Unread 11-25-2008, 02:36 AM

MatMoo, Yes don't worry I am on anti biotics. I'd hate to imagine what would happen if it went untreated.

Thanks
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:57 AM

I'm from Canada and had my surgery done in the U.S. so I never did see my actual surgeon for a follow up. I did see my GP back in Canada at 6 weeks for a check up, after an internal she noted that my incision had not completely healed and that I was to wait 2 more weeks before resuming any sexual activity. I really think that a person should have an internal before that happens, I wouldn't want to develop an infection or do any internal damage if all it meant was waiting another week or so?? I am quite surprised by how mant posts actually say a Dr never did an internal? Without that how do they know your "internal" incisions are healed??? I'd rather be safe than sorry!

TVH RSO
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Yes very true Stella - I'm sure I'm fine but it would have been nice to have been checked. I guess it was the time pressures of the NHS that were to blame, and the consultant didn't think there was cause to be worried. But even so ...
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:48 PM

My first Post op appt is scheduled for 4 weeks post op however I had to go in today at 22 days out. I will still go back on Dec 4th due to my complications and dr said I will go back at 6 weeks post op for final one unless things change

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register