Scheduled LSH Taking two weeks off from work...realistic? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Taking two weeks off from work...realistic? Taking two weeks off from work...realistic?

Unread 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Taking two weeks off from work...realistic?

Hi!
Spoke to my Dr and he said that I should be able to return to work and the gym in two weeks.
That sounds great but I'm wondering how realistic that really is???
My full time job is being mommy
However, I do have a part time job and I need to let them know when I will return.
There's really no labor involved...I work at a makeup counter in a department store...
Just wondering if anyone has any advice.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Re: Taking two weeks off from work...realistic?

Please...
No way.
You need at least 3-4 weeks.
I am a teacher, and I went back to work in 3 1/2 weeks.
That was about 2 weeks too soon.

You job may not be that physical, but it is difficult to sit up for more than an hour at a time, or to get up and put make up away, or to bend down to pick anything up.

I would stay out longer.
As for your boss, tell them 4 weeks, and then see how you feel.

Your doctor has obviously never had a hysterectomy, LOL.
Gym in 2 weeks? What is he thinking?
Doing what at the gym and for how long?
I think that at 2 weeks, I was walking outside for about 15 minutes, very slowly.

Good Luck
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM

Yes, it is entirely possible. I had an LSH and was cleared to go back to work with no restrictions at 2 wks. I am a hospital nurse, so not a light-duty job at all. I had no issues, went back full-time and am glad I did . . . Sitting around the house was NOT my thing!!

Best wishes! Listen to your doctor, and your body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2012, 10:25 PM

I was two weeks postop on Monday and there is no way I would have wanted to go back to work. I had a bit more surgery than the LSH, but still! I just stopped needing Percocet for pain a few days ago (and I gave birth to two kids with no pain relief, so I usually do ok with pain). I just started being able to do minimal things (that don't involve bending, lifting, or being on my feet for longer than 20-30 minutes) to help get my 3 and 5 y.o. Kids ready before school, and a few things in the evening. But much activity really tires me out, and I took my longest postop walk today outside (10 minutes)... But that was all i could do before my belly started to have pains. And I am generally healthy and workout... I am mostly laying around my house resting at this point, thankful my kids are in school and that I am on leave from work.

All docs are different, but mine said for just the LSH I would expect to take 4-6 weeks off work. And to avoid the following for 6 weeks: any exercise other than walking, sex (penetration), any pushing, pulling, or lifting over 20 lbs. (I actually have more restrictions than this because of my other surgeries). My parents were here to help us with our kids for 10 days post op, which we really needed.

Anyway, your doctor sounds like he/she is on the VERY lenient end of the scale. Some people might be ready to be back to their normal lives at 2 weeks, but from my post op discussion forum, it sounds like most of us are still tired out by a trip to the store at this point!

Good luck to you! :-)
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:26 PM

I think the difference is that the LSH is done totally through the abdomen with the Laparoscope. And being that the incisions are 2 or 3 in through the abdomen versus having a hysterectomy that is laparacopically assisted through the abdomen but removed through the vagina as with the LAVH where the recovery time is anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks (what pamphlets say) or 6 weeks as per what my doctor told me.
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Law001,
Everyone's recovery time is different, of course. I think returning to work week 3 or 4 is realistic. Even then you have to not overdo it and go slow so that you do not injure the healing process. I would definitely save any resistance and/or weight training until after 6 weeks.

I started walking on the treadmill (slow) for 15 min at 2 weeks, but just walking. I intially told my job that I would be out for or six weeks, but I feel really good and am going back on Monday, which will be week 5 for me. You may not even know yet if you will feel like going back yet, so give them the furthest date b/c you can always go back earlier. Just remember to go slow. Good luck on your recovery!.
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM

I had an LSH. I think at about 2 weeks I went outside for the first time. We have a few stairs down from our house and I wasn't ready yet. I had extensive cleanup of adhesions and am diabetic so may heal slower than others.

At 4 weeks I had one on campus class at the college (most of my classes are online), it was tough the first couple weeks.

I would tell your employer that you want 6 weeks (that's what my dr. recommended although was willing to write a note for longer) off. If you feel good and are ready to go back earlier then great, if not, it is easier to ask for it now than later.
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:10 AM

2 weeks post op?!!! I didn't have a LSA but your energy may not be up to par at two weeks because you're still healing inside and your body will take up your energy to concentrate on that. I guess when you get close to week 2 you would assess yourself and ask for more time if you feel you're not ready for it.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM

No matter how the hystetectomy is done, internal organs are still removed.. My doctor said he could not stress this enough.. He hates how other doctors try to make any hysterectomy not done threw the abdomin seem less invasive..
I am just over 3 weeks post op Da Vinci hysterectomy and could never have went back to work last week. I am just now able to sit up straight on a chair for approx 20/25 minutes..

Take the extra time and if you feel up to it, resume at 2 weeks but dont sell yourself short just yet not knowing how your specific body will react to this surgery..
Unread 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM

You could always plan on 2 weeks and ask your doctor to give you more time if necessary. Tell your employer you may have to take 3 or 4 weeks off, but that depending on how you feel you may be back as early as 2 weeks. How much time off is needed depends on the type of surgery you have (TAH is usually the longest recovery time at 6 - 8 weeks, and daVinci which is less invasive is usually a much shorter recovery time) and whether or not your doctor feels you are recovered enough. Give yourself the time you need.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register